Page 34 of 72 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin-Healey’s and the Austin Healey Car Club of NZ and Others

I wonder what sort of hemi head that was?

The Nash Healeys were pretty handsome cars, and the engines big enough to give them good grunt. One starred in the movie, 'Sabrina'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    I wonder what sort of hemi head that was?

The Nash Healeys were pretty handsome cars, and the engines big enough to give them good grunt. One starred in the movie, 'Sabrina'.
    A C "Sammy " Sampietro designed a new head which Nash agreed to - it had " six large inlet ports on one side and six exhaust ports on the other." " The valves at an angle of 90 degrees ".
    The original Nash engine had a cylinder head with a cast inlet gallery - " not unlike the Austin Healey 100 SIX early engines ..
    -Geoff Healey's book " Healey -The Specials.
    The Nash was a 3.8 litre Six ..

Well remember the movie Sabrina - yes loved the Nash Healey in it !!
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 02-03-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Caffeine and Classics Smales Farm Auckland..January 2019

Quote Originally Posted by bce257 View Post
    Thanks for the headsup, might go for a drive
    Not a Healey but understand " bce257 " that you know a bit about this - DU SU's 3 pair [ with EFI inside ? ! ]..

Name:  Cars #129 Farnham Zephyr with 6 SU's R Dowding photo .jpg
Views: 867
Size:  93.4 KB

Was it a bit like this set up on the 100 SIX

Name:  AH 100 SIX #10 Andy Thorpe's car Mahia 2017 A Thorpe .jpg
Views: 683
Size:  158.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Not a Healey but understand " bce257 " that you know a bit about this - DU SU's 3 pair [ with EFI inside ? ! ]..

Name:  Cars #129 Farnham Zephyr with 6 SU's R Dowding photo .jpg
Views: 867
Size:  93.4 KB

Was it a bit like this set up on the 100 SIX

Name:  AH 100 SIX #10 Andy Thorpe's car Mahia 2017 A Thorpe .jpg
Views: 683
Size:  158.9 KB
    Had a close look but could not see any wiring going to carb's but may be wrong, lovely Raymond Mays head though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    Had a close look but could not see any wiring going to carb's but may be wrong, lovely Raymond Mays head though.
    Kevin - have found a few photos of the Farnham Zephyr Car set up, taken by John Vevers who was there with the Austin 3 Litre - parked just along from us at C and C .. will dig out the photos and post ..

AH 100 - a car owned by Bryan and Brenda Harris back in the 1970's on

A " BMC BOY " photo of Bryan and Brenda in their 100 at an Austin Healey Club Gymkhana - late 1970's
    Bryan and Brenda were the couple who travelled the USA in July - September 1982 in the VW Kombi, that has featured on here.

Name:  AH 100 #87 Bryan and Brenda Harris AHCC event 1970's R Cammick .jpg
Views: 706
Size:  147.7 KB

a Jim Reece photo of the car - late 1970's / early 1980's [ It has the Union Jack badges fitted which we both purchased in 1982 in the USA ] with Brenda in the car and your truly standing !!
    The cars Rego Plate is no longer valid but may now have a " personalised "or newer Registration.

Have asked Bryan for more photos of his cars - especially the AH 100.. may have some of my own - in
    " The Archives "
    **Bryan still has the car [in pieces ] it had an accident in 1983/84 on the way to a AHCC gathering at Piha - I had forgotten the incident until reminded.
    More to follow
    Name:  AH Brenda and I the Harris Healey - Jim Reece.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  120.4 KB

A Healey connection as Donald Healey used the 2.4 litre Hi-Cam Riley motor in some of his pre - Austin engined Healeys.
    This is 1.5 litre Kestrel a 1936 model [ one of two as Bryan had a 1937 one also ] owned by Bryan Harris that preceded the AH 100 under his ownership

Name:  Bryan Harris archives #1 1936 Riley Kestrel 1.5 litre .jpg
Views: 640
Size:  103.8 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 02-09-2019 at 06:02 AM. Reason: *** new info from Bryan

Small 100's and 100S's ..

An Austin - Healey [ and Jaguar ] Mate in Oregon USA, has a huge Model Collection - makes my 350 odd collection with about 9 Austin Healeys look sad.

Here are some of his 100's and 100S .. in 1;43 " Old Irish Racing " is his hobby business - and a Facebook page too.
    Must tell Jerry Liudahl that I have " borrowed " his photo's..

Hundred's - lower case " s "
    Name:  Models #257 AH 100's Jerry Liudahl collection J Liudahl .jpg.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  95.6 KB

Hundred S - upper case " S "
    Name:  Models #256 AH 100S Jerry Liudahl collection J Liudahl .jpg
Views: 652
Size:  90.5 KB

See Alfa Romeo and Ferrari signs on the model garage - no Austin Healey one though

Roger, have you seen this publication?

Name:  img817 (2).jpg
Views: 608
Size:  174.3 KB

Austin Healey Club at Ellerslie on Sunday

Name:  IMG_5967 (2).JPG
Views: 690
Size:  175.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5966 (2).JPG
Views: 669
Size:  175.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5965 (2).JPG
Views: 599
Size:  170.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5964 (2).JPG
Views: 625
Size:  174.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5968 (2).JPG
Views: 681
Size:  175.8 KB

In most cases I'd say the slant 6 was a poor choice... heavier than the original engine...

But in this case it would be just a few pounds lighter.

But sadly undersquare. And I'd hate to be changing the plugs or doing the timing. A Hemi 6 would have been a better choice.

Valiant Healey

In most cases I'd say the slant 6 was a poor choice... heavier than the original engine...

But in this case it would be just a few pounds lighter.

But sadly undersquare. And I'd hate to be changing the plugs or doing the timing. A Hemi 6 would have been a better choice.
    If that is the ex Bernie Huynen car [ RIP Bernie Huynen ]- it has had a Valiant motor in it since the 1970's - was going to be repowered with a V8 but Compliance was an issue so a newer Valiant Motor went back in.
    Have forgotten what the original Valiant engine was [ Slant or Hemi ] must delve into my archives ..

The car under Bernie's ownership features in the thread.

Milan - Thanks for those photos - I saw the #76 car at " Caffeine and Classics " in January..the ex Andrew Shrimpton car - Andrew did the rebuild and made it a Race /Rally Replica.
    Understand the new owner Ross !! is selling it again after only a few months - well less than 12 months I think.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 02-12-2019 at 12:20 AM.

He wouldn't have gone backwards from a Hemi 6 to a slant...

A 245 Hemi would be about the same as a 4-litre Rolls, but with the overhead exhaust valves already a part of the deal.

He wouldn't have gone backwards from a Hemi 6 to a slant...

A 245 Hemi would be about the same as a 4-litre Rolls, but with the overhead exhaust valves already a part of the deal.
    Ray Bell,Can't find any engine photos of the ex Bernie Huynen car and in my photos the Rego is unclear so can't even do a " Carjam " search .. I may have to post the Valiant Healey picture on the AHCCNZ Fb page or website - someone will know.

** Just looked at the other Photos and BMC BOY's early 3000 is there - with its boot rack refitted and can see the Centrelock Alloy Wheels - he may well know !!

Can you confirm - the Slant SIX was the 225 ci, then came the Hemi in 245 ci and later 265 ci ?
    Had a 225 in my Dodge Ambulance - ex- St John that I was going to turn into a Camper - did take it away and sleep in it, but lost interest as too slow, not a Sports Car - one of many projects that include an Austin Hire Car FL1 - 1950/51 model with the A70 Motor, a Sunbeam Talbot [ 1952 model I think ] The Dodge- sold the Dodge and bought a second car for my wife - another Sports Car - A Sprite ..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 02-12-2019 at 01:44 AM. Reason: *** new info from photos ###47.

Valiant Healey some of the history

The Car is the - ex Bernie Huynen car -
    Was running the Valiant motor in 1984 at the Napier Rally and I saw it again at Masterton in 1989

- this from Ross Cammick " BMC BOY"

" Yes this is Bernie’s old car.
    He part traded it to Phillip Mules for his green BT7 race car. Phillip fitted a Chev V8 and auto into it, but couldn’t get it complied as it was supposed to have the sloper Valiant 6.
    So he sold it to Grant McKenzie up in Whangarei and he has rebuilt it with a new Kilmartin Chassis and new sloper engine etc.
    I haven’t seen the car as yet, but hope he comes to the Brit Euro on March 3rd. He always makes a superb job of his cars. "

So being a ' sloper ' - slant 6 - would be a 225 ci [ 3686 cc ] unless modified, I understand the " slant 6 " motor was used because of the height available in a Healey - also lighter and bigger capacity. The 3000 was 2912 cc

The Valiant Healey - Milans photo

Name:  AH 3000 #58 Valiant Healey 2019 -engine Milan Fistonic .jpg
Views: 601
Size:  175.8 KB

When Bernie had it - this in Masterton in 1989 - posted before ;

Name:  AHCCNZ events #11 1989 Masterton Rally Hillclimb Bernie Huynen Valiant Healey v2, CCI22022016_00.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  85.4 KB

Ross further says " Not my car at Ellerslie Concours – it must have been Brenton Lee’s 100/6 it looks similar. "

Milan's photo with Brenton Lees car - Brenton has had it a long time -

Name:  AH 3000 #59 BJ8 nd Brenton Lees 100 6 behind M Fistonic .jpg
Views: 616
Size:  170.3 KB

It and Brenton were at Chelsea Walsh - in 2017 spectating,arrived as I was leaving - Ray Green photo

Name:  AH 100 Six Chelsea HillClimb 2017 Ray Green 217_1105_06 Austin Healey.JPG
Views: 621
Size:  179.8 KB

Now to find out who the others cars are ??

Ross hopes to get to the Brit - Euro, so may get more photos.

The BT7 [ Reg plate # BT7 ] that Ross mentions has featured on this thread - Raced by Phillip Mules at Hamilton Telecom Classic in 1994 and some more recent photos of Bernie with it in 2017- before he passed away.
    The Car was For Sale - in 2017.

Thanks again Milan for the photos.

Milan -your question have I seen the 1988/89 AH Australia Year Book - the answer is No I haven't - thanks for showing that too !!
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 02-12-2019 at 03:57 AM. Reason: more info #### 47

Here's another shot of "100 SIX"

Name:  IMG_6043 (2).JPG
Views: 622
Size:  176.0 KB

Thanks Milan - I knew the owner Brenton Lee back in the early 1980's [ 1983 ] was a neighbour of my Girlfriends best Friend ..all must have been OK as the "Girlfriend " is now and has been since 1984 my wife.

Originally posted by Roger Dowding
    .....Can you confirm - the Slant SIX was the 225 ci, then came the Hemi in 245 ci and later 265 ci ?
    Had a 225 in my Dodge Ambulance - ex- St John that I was going to turn into a Camper - did take it away and sleep in it, but lost interest as too slow, not a Sports Car.....
    Hmmm...

A coincidence there, I also bought a Dodge ambulance to turn into a camper. That's been forgotten now I've got my B350 van, of course.

Yes, the slant was a 225, though they also sold them as 170 and 192ci versions in the US. The Hemi-6 was vertical and came in the 245ci version first, with a lousy 215 'poverty' version offered and the 265 coming a bit later. They were a much lighter engine.

And I think no higher. The slant, amazingly, is actually taller than it would be if it wasn't slanted. It's on a 30° tilt and so one side of the head is still pretty high at that angle. I was captivated by this thought when I looked closely at the Peugeot 404 engine, which is on a 45° lean. The head is a little lower than it might have been if vertical, but the carby comes out on the top side and so (just like the Valiant engine) it sticks up higher than everything else.

Of course that's all negated with the Webers on this car.

There are websites offering different opinions, but you can't beat the tape measures when you check it out properly. The real reason for the slant is that it gave more room for nice even-flowing inlet manifolds while still allowing for things like brake boosters in LHD models. Of course, in RHD these things were disasters. Not that getting to the plugs and distributor didn't skin knuckles on the Yankee versions.

Similarly, the Peugeot 404 would have been a wonderfully accessible bit of gear in LHD, steering, gear linkages, master cylinder, battery, clutch linkages, oil filter, distributor and fuel pump all placed in that great chasm when a vertical engine would take up space. Only the exhaust manifold on the underside. All spoiled with the conversion to RHD.
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 02-13-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    The BT7 [ Reg plate # BT7 ] that Ross mentions has featured on this thread - Raced by Phillip Mules at Hamilton Telecom Classic in 1994 and some more recent photos of Bernie with it in 2017- before he passed away.
    The Car was For Sale - in 2017.
    "BT7" is still for sale but isn't being actively advertised due to fatigue from too many test pilots and low ball offers!

Valiant Healey and the " Brit Euro "show Auckland 2019

Ray Bell ;

Re ; " Hmmm...

A coincidence there, I also bought a Dodge ambulance to turn into a camper. "

Thanks for the " Valiant " engine details - I had forgotten [ or didn't really know ] about the smaller capacity slant Six engines.

As mentioned hope that BMC BOY posts some photos of the Valiant Healey - if it gets to the " Brit - Euro Show " in East Auckland.
    Looyd Elsmore Park, Pakuranga 3rd March 2019

I won't be there as back in the Bay by then ;

Here are some details on this link ;

" https://www.briteurocarshow.nz/ "

Yours Truly could be a bit quiet for the next two weeks as after the weekend in Chatswood, Auckjland off the Waiheke Island to the " Family Cottage " - Grandma's House form 1947 to 1980, and stillin the Family..
    On a Data stick so not much capacity -

Will leave you though with a Healey photo :

Name:  A H Sprite yellow, Woodhill 1975  5-02-2014 11;38;31AM (3) (780x616).jpg
Views: 823
Size:  165.0 KB

Posted a few times before -must try to drive safely on the trip!!
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 02-14-2019 at 05:11 AM.

From a booklet celebrating 25 years of the Monterey Historic Automobile Races.

Name:  img898 (2).jpg
Views: 954
Size:  183.0 KB