Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin-Healey’s and the Austin Healey Car Club of NZ and Others

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Oh drat. If I'd known who owned it I would have had a chat, as I followed him in!!!
    Yes I would have enjoyed a chat also Ray. As we have never met previously I didn't realise that was you when we were standing beside each other when you took this photo. Soon after we moved our cars to a more "British" area.
    I'm sure there will be other times to get together in the future.

Healey versus Daimler Dunster versus Trevor Sheffield and others

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    That is " BMC BOY's " [ Ross C ] early 3000, unusual as a BN7, two seater with the rear shroud the same as the early cars [ 100's BN1 and BN2 ] so no open area behind the front seats with a few later mods, which I have forgotten some of the details of, I do know a later gearbox, which I helped clear customs back in 1983, when he had it shipped in from the USA !!
    Good to see the car in use.

A picture of the Car when Ross first bought it either Ross's or Bill Dunsters photo. Ross sent it to me some time ago - the car raced at Pukekohe in the early 3 hour races for improved vehicles, run ahead of the Wills Six Hour race.
    Roger,

I remember Bill Dunster well. There was group of us racing production sports cars and we had an absolute ball at every of many varied events. The friendship involved became quite wonderful. Even so the racing was full on and very competitive, but in the pita everyone gave everyone a helping hand. "Did you see Charlie spun up in the hay bales LOL and did ----. I have fitted a Holden front sway bar, have a look, you can gat one from a wrecker. What tyre pressures are you running." And so it went on. No one short handed or missing a tool or part, was left disadvantaged at flag fall. Everyone won on the day, no matter what.

However, neither the Dunster or Conway 3000 Healy could foot it with the 2500 SP250 Daimlers.

Regards, Trevor[/QUOTE]

A couple of Peter Bruin photos, thanks to BMCBOY of the " Dunster / Cammick " Healey and the Daimler's of Trevor and others 1965 Gold Leaf Three Hour race before the Wills Six Hour races for " Production " Saloons.

Name:  AH Healey-at-Wills-Gold-leaf-#1 P Bruin pic.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  181.4 KB

Name:  AH Healey-at-Wills-Gold-leaf-#2  P Bruin pic.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  177.2 KB

These were posted on my Pukekohe thread but belong here with others photos of Ross's Healey-the Dunster Car.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 01-30-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Manfield - the 1989 Classic - Mark Parsons photo

Mark Parson posted this photo, by then the car was his but he let Steve Wittrin drive it as was already entered in the event - Mark Parson photo.
    Here is Mark's comment quote " November 1989 ... Manfeild ... I had just bought the Triumph TR7 V8 from Andy Culpin, but I honoured an arrangement for Steve Wittrin of Vintrim to compete at the annual classic race meeting. It wasn’t easy seeing someone else driving but Steve drove well and looked after my new acquisition. It was a comfortable front runner in classic sports cars in those days. "
    The Healey 3000 is Frank Karl, in its green phase 1989, after purple, and before yellow..

More comment from Mark Parsons re the Grinnell TR8 V8 -
    "I see Rex Alder in his green Grinnall TR8 two rows back. Rex sold his car and we did a deal for him to use mine for a couple of seasons. Between Rex and Mal Clark Bygone Autos they got it well sorted. Over the years, Rex, Mal and Greg Kirkham have driven my car in Targa tarmac Rallying events and circuit stuff ... without fail, people would come up to me and say how well the car was going and how well driven it was, they assuming that it was me driving ... but it wasn’t me ... a testament to how well they were pedalling and how exciting and easy the car is to drive, the Rover V8 engine always sounding pretty healthy. "
    Re The MGB GT " Andy lowe in the MG " It wasn't a genuine MGB V8 but built up from a 4 cylinder car.

I remember that car at several of the AHCCNZ Hillclimbs, with the Reverse airscoop over the Carbs, the V8. At one event the MANZ steward tackled me about it passing scrutineering when " if an oil pipe broke it would go over the windscreen ". we went to the Scrutineer,Frank Karl I think, and pointed out to the steward all the stickers on the car from other meetings where it had passed and then raced !!. Steward went very quiet after that.

Other cars in the field.
    The White E type comment from Donn White " The owner was Clive Newman. It was a lovely car. Clive used to support the Intermaque Classic Car Series that I coordinated for 10 years. "
    Jim Short however thought " Geoff Hall who ran Auto Wheel Services in Manukau " and commented that " Brakes failed at Taupo looked a real sad car. "
    Donn later said yes Geoff Hall and not Clive Newman.

Anyone know who had the TR6? ,I know Jens Fogelberg ran one in the same colour, but not sure if the same car.
    Milan may have the answer !!

Name:  AH 3000 and others Manfield Classic 1989 Mark Parsons TR7 V8 - Mark Parsons photo (2).jpg
Views: 880
Size:  103.5 KB

Here is Karl Healey in Green at the AHCCNZ Hill Climb which must be around the same time 1988 or 1989.
    and yes wearing the plate from his 100, that is now being restored
    Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 #13 Healey 3000 #3 CCI27112015_0002 (780x515).jpg
Views: 846
Size:  147.5 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 02-02-2018 at 05:19 AM. Reason: more infor #### 47

Looks like Andy Lowe (MG BGT V8) and Rex Alder's (Grinnell TR8). Steve Whitren also drove the red MG Magnette, sold on to Neil Goodwin and later he drove a Lotus Elan.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Looks like Andy Lowe (MG BGT V8) and Rex Alder's (Grinnell TR8). Steve Whitren also drove the red MG Magnette, sold on to Neil Goodwin and later he drove a Lotus Elan.
    Ray, It is the Grinnell TR8 It got mentioned on the post, will go back to see if any more cars /drivers identified and add to the post #408

Have added more info naming a few more drivers The MGB V8, The Grinnell TR8,and the White E-type.
    Thanks ERC and others see above
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 02-02-2018 at 05:25 AM. Reason: ref post #408

Agree the TR might well be Jens Fogelberg.

Healey racer and a Mate from my trip to USA in 1982 had a birthday today

Terry Cowan, raced this car in the early 1980's and some Sprite's since.
    This is a BMC BOY photo of Terry and car with his lady at the time July 1982 sent it to him today for his birthday

Name:  AH Terry Cowan 3000 racer 1982 Ross Cammick (2) (800x578).jpg
Views: 806
Size:  123.4 KB

Back when BMC BOY took this too,in the Arizona Desert between Flagstaff and Durango.. July 1982

Name:  AHCC events 1982 the road to Snowmass Roger and Walt (800x541).jpg
Views: 784
Size:  151.3 KB

that was before we had this,which was what we drove to Terry's place in San Diego.. BMC BOY, and I, with the Harris's B and B,travelled the West Coast,4 Kiwi's in a Kombi .. B and B and me in the photo as BMC BOY took it,on the Northern California Coast August 1982.

Name:  AHCC events 1982 West Coat USA Brenda Bryan Roger 751 JMG Chocola and Custard (800x519).jpg
Views: 777
Size:  135.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Anyone know who had the TR6? ,I know Jens Fogelberg ran one in the same colour, but not sure if the same car.
    Milan may have the answer !!

Name:  AH 3000 and others Manfield Classic 1989 Mark Parsons TR7 V8 - Mark Parsons photo (2).jpg
Views: 880
Size:  103.5 KB
    I'd put money on the TR6 being John Fendall (the initials are at least the same as Jens Fogelberg). I'm pretty sure that ERC posted a photo of this car at Pukekohe in his collection last year when taken north by it's previous owner, Adrian Broome. Adrian now owns it again.

Good sized crowd in the stands...

The Healey - Corvette, Arthur Kennard car

This car deserves an Article on its own; have to gather more information and download my own photos - It had a History board at Hampton Downs which I photo'd ..
    A couple of photo's ; one old 1950/60's one new 2018

Not sure where this is, others may know - photo provided by John Manhire - not his though, I don't think !!
    Name:  AH 100 Healey Corvette - John Manhire post.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  94.6 KB
    the #44 Morgan was one of the Bennett Boys from Dunedin, according to Graham Woods

Leadfoot Festival last weekend - John B photo
    Name:  AH 100 - Healey - Corvette #2 Leadfoot John Bennoch .jpg
Views: 759
Size:  102.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hyndman View Post
    I'd put money on the TR6 being John Fendall (the initials are at least the same as Jens Fogelberg). I'm pretty sure that ERC posted a photo of this car at Pukekohe in his collection last year when taken north by it's previous owner, Adrian Broome. Adrian now owns it again.

Good sized crowd in the stands...
    Allan, thanks, you could be correct, Jens' car was always immaculate had its grille etc .. cheers

Found this in an old box of bits and pieces. Must have come with an English magazine as it's for a finance company called Security Pacific based in Reading.

Name:  img939 (2).jpg
Views: 757
Size:  69.8 KB

Austin - Healey Poster and a Dinky Model

Name:  AH Le Mans Classic and Dinky Box.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  55.4 KB

Saw a few Healeys at the Ellerslie Concours show today. I'll load em up when they're processed.

This car deserves an Article on its own; have to gather more information and download my own photos - It had a History board at Hampton Downs which I photo'd ..

Not sure where this is, others may know - photo provided by John Manhire - not his though, I don't think !!
    the #44 Morgan was one of the Bennett Boys from Dunedin, according to Graham Woods

They did not get the engine cover correct on the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    They did not get the engine cover correct on the rebuild.
    True, and they put the grille back in too !! Kwaussie, still it is the original chassis, I believe..must download my photo's !!

World Champion
    I would really like to know just how much of the original car survives in this machine........It suffered a very horrific smash from which something MAY have survived........and while we are at it, shouldnt it be the Corvette Healey rather than the Healey Corvette.......as in Austin Healey, Nash Healey etc.......the bonnet badge did survive in its original form as the Healey Corvette......but I am surprised that that is what they called it rather than the other way round.........

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    I would really like to know just how much of the original car survives in this machine........It suffered a very horrific smash from which something MAY have survived........and while we are at it, shouldnt it be the Corvette Healey rather than the Healey Corvette.......as in Austin Healey, Nash Healey etc.......the bonnet badge did survive in its original form as the Healey Corvette......but I am surprised that that is what they called it rather than the other way round.........
    AMCO72, It is [is it ] really called Austin - Healey Corvette ?? as unlike Austin Healey and Nash Healey, where the agreement with the Donald Healey Motor Company and in the first case the Austin Motor Company - later BMC with the later cars , was agreed on.
    The first "100 "appeared at the 1952 London Motor Show as a Healey 100,
    [powered by an Austin engine - before the agreement was made to sell the car, slightly modified as an Austin - Healey "
    This is a modified Austin Healey, although having said that The Valiant powered Austin -Healey, that Bernie Huynen built and ran for many years was known as the Valiant Healey.

About the smash, I have not read the article in NZ Classic Driver magazine several years ago, which may have that detail.
    Update April 2022 -
    Managed to get the back issue on the Healey Corvette by Allan Dick - in NZ Classic Driver issue #63 from Nov-Dec 2015.
    Have also acquired [as in "borrowed " ] a couple of photos of the Healey Corvette, when it was just an Austin Healey 100 .. New post coming soon.
    Healey Corvette features in Posts #409 this one, 429, 476, 521, 547, 709 and 805.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-24-2022 at 05:05 AM. Reason: more info [ Italics ] #### 47

No Ellerslie - again. Down in Napier with friends. Whilst they were cycling, we visited Ian Hope's massive collection of British cars. No Healey's...

AMCO raises an interesting point. Up to the constructor of a special I suppose, but my preference would always be the make (even if modified) first, then engine. As far as filing goes, it would have to be Marcos Volvo, Marcos Ford, Marcos Triumph etc., and not the other way around.

2018 Ellerslie Concours

Name:  IMG_2657 copy.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  171.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2655 copy.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  156.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2656 copy.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  159.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2658 copy.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  160.0 KB

Austin - Healey Corvette 1954 BN1 [ 100 ] with Corvette engine

Details of the Car from Carjam.

Year: 1954
    Make: AUSTIN
    Model: HEALEY
    Colour: Black
    Submodel: CORVETTE
    Body Style: Convertible
    VIN: 7A80T070703152563
    Plate: DS3698
    Engine No: 3789935
    Chassis: BN1-152563
    Vehicle Type: Passenger Car/Van
    Seats: 2
    CC rating: 4,640cc
    Fuel Type: Petrol

Plates History

Plate Effective Date
    DS3698 20-Apr-2004
    BZA813 07-Apr-2004

NZ First Registration: 15-Dec-1954

Presumably the plate DS3698 was issued to the car back in the 1960's [ 1966 -67 ].
    Is stated to be a personalised plate as in done in the older style, similar to the first of the permanent plates issued from mid 1964 onwards