Thread: Austin-Healey’s and the Austin Healey Car Club of NZ and Others

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Castrol Achievements Book - 1960 Austin - Healey's competing. plus a story.

Following on from the Castrol Card series - I remember these books from the 1960's had several years of them, but now gone - where ?? Was only 13 when this one came out - must have pestered my Dad to get hold of them.

He used to bring home the " Bedford Transport Magazine " from his work at Briscoe and Co - the real Briscoe's hardware and Ironmongers, and New Zealand Agents for " Michelin Tyres ".

He told the story once of the Michelin Man - not the logo one !!, arriving in New Zealand for a meeting with Briscoe and Co, about Tyre supplies [ subject to strict Import Licensing in those times ] and was asked about them setting up a factory in NZ - the response was they could make in One Day enough tyres for whole New Zealand tyre market's annual sales.
    That was around the time that Goodrich had helped Reidrubber set up a factory in NZ with locally made tyres. - had some on my cars over the years,
    before preferring Dunlops on my Mini's and that TR and had Pirelli's on my yellow Sprite.

Name:  My Cars #72 1965 A-H Sprite Gymkhana Mangere Town Centre 1974 CCI09022016_0001 (790x800) (2).jpg
Views: 2133
Size:  171.4 KB
    Own photo of the Sprite and Mangere Town Centre in 1974.

Dennis Green of Northern Sports Car Club - their photographer, took this photo - when BMC BOY was doing the same for Auckland Car Club.
    More action in the D Green photo !!

Name:  My Cars #70 1965 Austin Healey Sprite 1098cc Gymkhana Mangere Town Centre 1974 v3, CCI28122015_0.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  107.7 KB

These from Paul O'Neill, who had the " Castrol " Cards - Racing Car Series -
    They have been put on ERC's " Bookshelf " thread.

The 1960 edition -pages related to Austin Healey - including the front cover with URX 727 the Pat Moss Ann Wisdom [ Riley ] car.

Name:  Motor Racing UK #7 Castrol Book 1960 Front Cover Paul O'Neill .jpg
Views: 2714
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  Motor Racing UK #8 Castrol Book 1960 Pat Moss tribute Paul O'Neill .jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  54.6 KB

Name:  Motor Racing UK #9 Castrol Book 1960 Alpine Rally Paul O'Neill .jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  102.1 KB

Name:  Motor Racing UK #10 Castrol Book 1960 more A-H results Paul O'Neill .jpg
Views: 3453
Size:  50.6 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 06-11-2019 at 11:56 PM. Reason: more info and pics ####47