Page 36 of 72 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin-Healey’s and the Austin Healey Car Club of NZ and Others

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Roger...will you be at Taupo April 27,28 for the last Historic race meeting of the season Dennis Marwood Classic- usual suspects running..HSS,HMC,HSC . and others.
    John McK, would love to but unlikely.
    Thanks for asking, Cheers
    Roger D.

The Fred Losee AH 100S AHS3802

Photo from Mike Harris - archives - for obvious reasons:
    Here’s another photo with Josh Timms racing the 100/S circa 1960. Bill Harris (my father) racing the P3 Alfa Romeo

Name:  AH 100S #61 Josh Timms AH BillHarris Alfa Don Stewart Ransly Wally ACE 111 M Harris .jpg
Views: 723
Size:  66.4 KB

Comments on the photo;
    David Montgomery " I can see why the alloy body on the Buckler DD1 did not last long with that type of surface on the race tracks."
    David is English - they wouldn't race on a paddock or metal ? - would on a Beach though.

Kelvin Brown "The car behind the Healey looks to be Fred McLean in the Buckler Mk.10 the ex Doc Langley car."

Kelvin Brown " Others in the photo Don Stewart ? in Ransley Riley, #13 Wally Darrell ACE 3 and possibly the Arthur Kennard Healey in behind Bill."
    possibly Don Ransley in the Ransley - will have to check with Grant Ransley - Grandson of the car builder The Ransley Riley driver is Don Stewart - it is the car that crashed badly at Dunedin in 1953 hitting a pole.

My comment re " Buckler " Jarvie body ?? looks like it and I would say the Kennard AH too - triple louvres
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-09-2019 at 11:54 PM. Reason: more info #### 47

The Ward Special bodied AH 100 BN1

The Car is for sale by Coys Auctions in Europe
    Notes on the car
    " Delivered to Sydney, Australia in 1955, this BN1 was fitted with an Ausca race body two years later and campaigned locally by Lindsay Hughes in the 1960’s with some success. In 1967 Hughes commissioned Sid Ward to build a full aluminium coupe body which the car still wears today. Not only a rare piece of Australian motor-racing history but one of the finest coachbuilt Healey specials to have been produced, this exceptionally rare example would be a credit to any collection. "

A photo ;

Name:  AH 100 #95 Ward Special bodied 1956 BN1 ex Australia Coys Auction .jpg
Views: 811
Size:  80.6 KB

My own photos of the car appeared here back in 2016.

Link to the Auction House site

" http://www.coys.co.uk/cars/1955-aust...TmOal2BYtffAus "

World Champion
    Roger,
    You may not see a A/H 100 S racing in the sand again when you see what they fetch in 2019 US $ and this is just the median asking prices !
    Name:  2019 Austin Healey values.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  161.3 KB

KH

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Roger,
    You may not see a A/H 100 S racing in the sand again when you see what they fetch in 2019 US $ and this is just the median asking prices !
    Name:  2019 Austin Healey values.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  161.3 KB

KH
    Ken H with what I could sell the MX5 for could just afford a Mark 2 Sprite - never owned one,
    had two Mark 3, at $8000 almost do-able
    and two Mk 1 - way out of my league at $ 18500 when you think that is USD ..
    I note no basic 100 Fours there only the " M " ..
    Thanks for the list and in the right place - this thread, so no need to copy across ..
    Cheers

World Champion
    OK Roger,
    Here's to you.
    Cheers.
    Name:  2019 Austin Healey values... BN 1-.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  57.8 KB

KH

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    OK Roger,
    Here's to you.
    Cheers.
    Name:  2019 Austin Healey values... BN 1-.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  57.8 KB

KH
    Thanks Ken H

The record is now complete, Ch-cheers to you-having a beer as I write this - actually put the glass down to type as use two fingers - one from each hand !!

AH 100 S in New Zealand 3 cars AHS3601 and AHS3908 imported new AHS3802 ex USA

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    What is a 100.5 a " Typo " of Healey ..
    Look at the names in that entry list thanks Graham Woods - Graham now highlights me when he posts Austin Healey photos - a bit like Ray Green ERC and Nigel Watts, cheers Guys.
    Attachment 54752

The car again;

Attachment 54753
    Just clarifying the AHS cars in New Zealand as I confused myself [ don't think it got picked up ]

Imported new AHS3601 by Austin New Zealand. sold through P H Vickery - Vickery Motors Invercargill.
    Car was written off and a recreation has been done by Steve Pike " Marsh Classics " after restoration / recreation the car went to Europe with Clas Arleskar but is now with Alister Rayner a Kiwi living in Queensland - was talking to Alister back in March on the " 50th Anniversary Grand Tour " by the AHCCNZ..

Imported new AHS3908 by Austin New Zealand - customer Seabrook Fowlds, the Auckland Austin / Austin Healey distributors - the restored Ross Jensen Car.

In New Zealand in 1960's ; 1960 - 1963 at least AHS3802 brought to NZ by Dr Fred Losee car later the Josh Tims,[ E Tims - in entry lists at the time ] that went back to the USA.
    Was restored there in around 1990. Was sold new in the USA

All three cars produced / delivered in 1955.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 08-21-2023 at 01:36 AM. Reason: more info Aug 2023 and spelling ####47

Healey Corvette the Kennard car - another photo from Allan Dick archives

This photo at Wigram I believe, with the Brent Hawes Tojeiro - Jaguar " Allcomer Saloon " - as it had a roof and the
    " Motor Racing Club " thought that was OK - in races in 1966 - The Ferrari 250LM was also classified as a Saloon !
    One particular race the podium was
    Ferrari 250LM first
    Anglia Breadvan Fastback -Dave Simpson second
    Tojeior Jaguar - Brent Hawes third..

The Healey Corvette in Graham Smith's hands he had it after Ed Candy who ran it at Southern Circuits, Waimate, Dunedin.
    At the Waimate final meeting 1966, interestingly Graham came third behind Hawes in the Tojeiro and winner Jim Boyd in the Lycoming in the Sports Car race.
    In the Sports and Racing event the order was Graham Smith Healey Corvette, Brent Hawes Tojeiro Jaguar and David Bruton in the Begg Humber 1600 - this was the second Begg original one was a BSA powered. The Begg name became well known in the late 1960's early 70's and on.

Name:  AH 100 - Healey - Corvette #21 Wigram with Tojeiro Jaguar Allan Dick .jpg
Views: 659
Size:  117.3 KB

The Healey Corvette - Dave Bunn saving the car, and Lindsay O'Donnell financing the restoration.

Posted a photo of the engine in the Healey Corvette and Skope 2019,and as noted the engine has changed in appearance .. sporting a large pancake Aircleaner over Carburetion that cannot bee seen. In 2015 when Allan Dick wrote about in in NZ Classic Driver it had two Holley's with small Edelbrock pancake aircleaners.

Name:  AH 100 - Healey - Corvette #16 Engine Skope 2019 Merv Hanna  photo .jpg
Views: 545
Size:  84.9 KB

To those who have done rebuild or restorations ; seem faniliar

Lets not forget the effect on the wallet too .

Name:  Cars #147 Restoration cartoon .. MGA .jpg
Views: 533
Size:  77.8 KB

And this was a project -

Name:  AH 100S #62 AHS 3601, written off 9th July 1967 by John Egdem Hutton Road, Wellington, NZ P O'Ne.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  18.1 KB

It did get recreated .. will be part of the AHS3601 story - when I get the information.

1958 100 Six BN6 of Walt Glendenning [ RIP 1988 ].

Posted before " On the Road - to Snowmass " 25th July 1988.

My Diary for the day says
    Date ; 25th Sunday
    Place ; Flagstaff to Durango
    Weather : not detailed - [ fine - looking at the photo's ]

Remarks ; Drove Walt's car
    Wrote letter to JE whilst in the Lincoln - Desert
    Spent all day in the desert visited Four Corners [ the only place in the USA where 4 states meet + ].
    Dinner at Sweeney's Durango.
    Sergio and Jim did B. A. Couldn't get a picture.
    [ two of the USA guys did a downtrou on the side of the road as we drove past ]

word in Italics are added ..

Car is two tone Red - a feature of several of the South Central Coasts cars at the time two tone in the same colour - different shades - quite effective.

We stopped several times and also ran ahead of the convoy to get photos of the cars in the Mountains

Monochrome ;
    BMC BOY photo - edited .

Name:  AH 100 SIX # 22 1958 BN6 Walt Glendenning's car Roger driving BW  Ross Cammick  (2).jpg
Views: 507
Size:  140.9 KB

The Original photo.

Name:  AH 100 SIX # 21 1958 BN6 Walt Glendenning's car Roger driving Ross Cammick .jpg
Views: 507
Size:  116.0 KB

The convoy in the Mountains - one of several shots - a curve of Healey's..

Name:  Healey trip 1982 #53 a Curve of Healeys on to Snowmass CCI10032016 (800x551).jpg
Views: 500
Size:  141.3 KB

I hope he got photos going further on...

Durango to Glenwood Canyon, the nicest drive in America.

A couple more of Walt's 2-seater 100/6 from 1982

Name:  Glendenning-bn6.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  146.6 KB

Name:  Snowmass-Start.jpg
Size:  144.5 KB

Walts BN6 .. thanks Ross for the photo's.

Quote Originally Posted by BMCBOY View Post
    A couple more of Walt's 2-seater 100/6 from 1982
    At Silverton " Tyrol in the Mountains " I believe, I took a photo of Jim Mann's car sitting outside that store too!!

Name:  Glendenning-bn6.jpg
Size:  146.6 KB

The day before the start, I am taking a photo of you taking the photo, Bryan [ who I have now connected with again, and the Late Walt, I think Hans is obscured by Bryan..

Thanks Ross.
    Name:  Snowmass-Start.jpg
Size:  144.5 KB
    Hopefully you have some more Ross

That's a delightful pieces of subtle two-toning on that car!

But I'm not so sure that the shop is at Silverton. The commercial area at Silverton is relatively flat, whereas Durango is hilly.

Silverton Colorado or not ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    That's a delightful pieces of subtle two-toning on that car!

But I'm not so sure that the shop is at Silverton. The commercial area at Silverton is relatively flat, whereas Durango is hilly.
    Silverton is flat Ray but Mountains up behind the main centre both sides .. another Healey in front of the shop - the car behind Walt's is Jim Mann's

a couple more photos -in the town. Jim Mann's BJ8 3000 was parked behind Walt's BN6

Name:  Healey trip 1982 #86 Jim Mann's 3000 Tyrol Liquor Store, Co CCI15062016_0006 (554x800).jpg
Views: 515
Size:  148.9 KB

Name:  Healey trip 1982 #93, Colorado town main st 1, CCI16062016 (573x800).jpg
Views: 502
Size:  116.3 KB

Okay... I just felt that the first photo looked to be on more of a slope...

Those mountains all around the town make it very scenic. And good driving territory. My van has been along there, Glenwood Canyon, alongside the Crystal River (so aptly named!) and over the hills to Delta, then to Montrose, Ridgway, Ouray, Silverton and Durango. And then it all collapses into desert.

Okay... I just felt that the first photo looked to be on more of a slope...

Those mountains all around the town make it very scenic. And good driving territory. My van has been along there, Glenwood Canyon, alongside the Crystal River (so aptly named!) and over the hills to Delta, then to Montrose, Ridgway, Ouray, Silverton and Durango. And then it all collapses into desert.
    Ray - we went through Durango Silverton Ouray, need to see in what order .. I even got a photo of the Durango - Silverton Narrow Gauge Train - which runs as a Historic Railway even today.
    Silverton is surrounded by Mountains - when I first posted a couple of photo's I had forgotten which town it was, took some note from Mark Donaldson [ former 1973 - 1980 and 2017 to date President of AHCCNZ ] helped, as did a couple of my USA mate - who whilst not on TRS, do follow Austin - Healey posts on various Facebook pages .

Silverton, Colorado...

Looks like I got two trains!

This was nearer the Durango end of the line, however. But Silverton in the early morning...

The morning sun on the shops, which were generally not open yet:

A close-up of a classy prospector on a bin:

And one last look climbing the hill out of town...

If you like I can see if I can get a photo of a Healey at the Silverton Hillclimb in Western NSW.
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 04-12-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Silverton Colorado Ray Bell photo's

Silverton, Colorado...

Looks like I got two trains!

This was nearer the Durango end of the line, however. But Silverton in the early morning...

The morning sun on the shops, which were generally not open yet:

A close-up of a classy prospector on a bin:

And one last look climbing the hill out of town...

If you like I can see if I can get a photo of a Healey at the Silverton Hillclimb in Western NSW.
    Ray Bell, Thanks for those photo's brings back good memories.

The Narrow Gauge Railway - narrow for the USA, probably the Three Foot Six gauge we have in New Zealand, is well known and there is a Musuem too - the Railway Sheds where they keep that train .. a few friends of mine have been there.
    My only photo of the Train is the one I will post next as six photo's in you post.