Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Perry Drury Collection

Here is Allan Moffat's DeKon Chevy Monza at Calder Park in 1976. This car was purchased from DeKon Engineering by Moffat in late 1975, and raced in New Zealand at Bay Park and Wigram before then continuing on to Australia. It caused a lot of controversy in Aus, and was protested by other teams. Moffat also had to fit 10" wide wheels as required under Aussie Sports Sedan rules, but this didn't seem to detract from its performance.

Moffat used the Monza to win the 1976 Australian Sports Sedan Championship, which was actually the first year the class was given a national title. He had to switch between the Monza and his Cosworth GAA Capri throughout the year, but took three wins from the first four Rounds, before Frank Gardner's wild new Chev Corvair appeared for Round 5 and proceeded to win the final three races.

Moffat then mothballed the Monza following the 1976 season, with pressure from Ford who were upping their support in touring car racing once more, and preferred Moffat wasn't driving the oppositions brand. He then brought it back out to race again in 1979/80 after Ford had pulled the plug on racing once more, but by this stage the competition had evolved massively, and the Monza was no longer a contender.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 2123
Size:  157.9 KB

Another shot of the former Bob Jane ZL1 Camaro in its later Sports Sedan guise, when being raced by Jim Smith.

Name:  12341276_971415046230887_2370766944083887696_n.jpg
Views: 2001
Size:  89.2 KB

There is a photo of this Mustang earlier in the thread, taken from the front of the car. Here it is from another angle. Its a great looking car. Anyone know what happened to it?

Name:  mustang  Whincup_tmp.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  166.3 KB

Norm Beechey's Chevy Nova, in probably its best remembered colour scheme, and that to which its been restored today. This is 1967.

Name:  50.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  167.3 KB

Tony Calvert's Mustang. I believe this is the ex-Greg Cusack/Fred Gibson/Neil Allen etc car.

Name:  43.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  137.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Tony Calvert's Mustang. I believe this is the ex-Greg Cusack/Fred Gibson/Neil Allen etc car.

Name:  43.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  137.5 KB
    Yes Steve, refer post #113.

Yes, although Fred Gibson never owned it... did it also go to WA? I think so, Gordon Stephenson had it before Tony Calvert...

I think finished up back in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Yes, although Fred Gibson never owned it... did it also go to WA? I think so, Gordon Stephenson had it before Tony Calvert...

See these two posts for further info:

http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...highlight=jane

post #265 & on

http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...highlight=jane

post #180

you are right Ray, It is at Canepa in California restored back to white and as it was in Trans Am. Saw it last year, got photo somewhere.

photo in post above from Terry S

This Mustang had a surprisingly long list of owners in OZ.

Cusack, Allen, Stephenson, Culvert, Gore, Cuthbert, Gibbs, Burchall and Miller.

It was sold to the US in 2002 for USD 112K.

I believe the reason it took so long to sell at Canepa is that it was not eligible to compete in their Historic Trans Am Series. To do so it had to actually compete in Trans Am races at the time. This it did not as it was sold new to Cusack. So in American's eyes it was just another old Mustang.

This is unlike Bob Jane's Mustang which actually won the 1968 Riverside round driven by Horst Kwech.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    This Mustang had a surprisingly long list of owners in OZ.

Cusack, Allen, Stephenson, Culvert, Gore, Cuthbert, Gibbs, Burchall and Miller.

It was sold to the US in 2002 for USD 112K.

I believe the reason it took so long to sell at Canepa is that it was not eligible to compete in their Historic Trans Am Series. To do so it had to actually compete in Trans Am races at the time. This it did not as it was sold new to Cusack. So in American's eyes it was just another old Mustang.

This is unlike Bob Jane's Mustang which actually won the 1968 Riverside round driven by Horst Kwech.
    Yes thats my understanding too Terry. Even though its one of the Shelby built A/Sedan cars, many of which contested the Trans-Am, this car did not, and therefore is not eligible for Historic Trans-Am. HTA cars command a premium.

Bryan Thompson's wild VW Chevy. McLaren wheels on the front?

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  156.9 KB

And the same car, when owned by Vince Gregory.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  154.7 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Bryan Thompson's wild VW Chevy. McLaren wheels on the front?

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  156.9 KB
    From memory the car was built from the remains of a MacLaren F5000
    Dale.

You've seen the before in the last couple of photos, now here is the after (but be warned it may upset some people....)

http://www.motorsportarchive.com/Bry...20at%20tip.jpg

This was deliberate by Thomson after a fire in the tip on his country property. There's a long story of why, which I'll have to dig out

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Harvey View Post
    From memory the car was built from the remains of a MacLaren F5000
    Dale.
    Thanks for the info Dale.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    You've seen the before in the last couple of photos, now here is the after (but be warned it may upset some people....)

http://www.motorsportarchive.com/Bry...20at%20tip.jpg

This was deliberate by Thomson after a fire in the tip on his country property. There's a long story of why, which I'll have to dig out
    Thanks Terry. I vaguely recall reading something about it in one of the magazines. AMC maybe? I think from memory Thomson ended up getting the body shell back from a later owner, and decided it could never be restored because the F5000 parts it was built around had become too scarce/expensive. So he destroyed and scrapped the body.

Pete Geoghegan's Mustang GTA, later in its career.

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  160.8 KB

Allan Moffat's short-lived Super Falcon.

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  146.4 KB

Another of Vince Gregory in the ex-Thomson VW Chevy. More than likely Bob Jane's daily driver Merc in the background.
    Name:  12289551_964965973542461_4673131185224387940_n.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  123.6 KB