Thread: New Zealand Historic Saloon Cars Under HRC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Wood View Post
    I didn't start this discussion to stir things up but I am happy the way the discussion has developed. I also posted in the HSC thread rather than HMC because it is specific to FIA HTP or Sched K regulations.

My understanding of those regulations is exactly as Steve suggests, if you can categorically prove it was done in period (specifically in an internationally recognised race or series) then it is allowed. On that basis, the original tubbing of the Broadspeed cars is allowed because the current owner and/ or restorer can and will prove it. Which is not to say that the proof is widely available to other car builders or restorers!

On the other hand, the horsepower that some "historic" cars now have is a huge issue in historic racing in the UK and certainly has the potential to occur here. The suggestion of declaring the power outputs and benchmarking them to what was achieved in period has considerable merit.

Possibly the requirement of running the correct gearbox has the unintended benefit of keeping horsepower in check but not always.
    This is a great discussion Howard and certainly no stirring. You really have two groups, the "Actual" car that raced in period with its modifications at the time...............and the FIA Homologated regulations which they(FIA) have worked out to allow an old car built and raced at today events but that have no history, which is pretty much were we are here in NZ.

Also, you cant undo knowledge, technology and modern thinking as this has solved all the problems of the past, and allowed todays Historic/Classics have more HP, handle better, and for us to drive them better.........of course safety has improved too. But this is why the coordinators of both HMC and HSC have to be quite anal with the regulations.........let one modern performance gain slip by.........well, we've seen what that has done to other classes and some of NZ's "not so" Classic fleet. Dale M
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 08-25-2017 at 01:10 AM.