Thread: Lotus Story - a story about a famous Lotus 7 - and tales of other Lotus Sports Cars.

Lotus Story - a story about a famous Lotus 7 - and tales of other Lotus Sports Cars.

A story of a Lotus Seven,

What is believed to be the First Lotus Seven [ 7 ] in New Zealand
    - Chassis Number S 1024 it is the series 2 version of the Lotus Seven Sports Car.
    The Story [ History ] of the car was recently given to me with photos from 1960/61 until recently by the current owner.
    Adrian Krzyzewski.

The story is largely in his own words with Photos, Programme / Entry Lists, Results, Newspaper articles and other pieces of information.

- first photos and the start of the " Lotus Story " to be added soon.

A photo of the car in 1961 - after the issue of new Number Plates in July 1961, the last of the 5 yearly plates, although these were only used for 4 years 1961 - 1965, with cars changing to permanent plates in July 1964, heavy vehicles and Commercial Taxi's etc in July 1965.

This photo is from Glen McIntyre's archives - he was involved with the cars second owner - more to come

Name:  Lotus Story #067 The Blackburn Lotus 7 Roger Hansen 1961 Reg plate 119.131 front grille etc Glen.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  160.5 KB

Notes on the photo have the names of the first owners..

The first Series Two Lotus 7 in Australia is quite close to this car in chassis number...

It bears the number 1030. But there are substantial obvious differences in the bodywork, it having the more typical Lotus 7 'wing' type of front mudguards and the more familiar grille.

In fact, the Series One which came to Australia, chassis number 436, has the more square grille as well, though it has the cycle guards. The shape of the grille in the picture above is unlike any Lotus 7 which came here.

Does anyone reading this know more about what I thought was a series one with BMC motor being sold in Christchurch in 1970?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Does anyone reading this know more about what I thought was a series one with BMC motor being sold in Christchurch in 1970?
    It was advertised for sale in The Press in January 1970 by Pennant Car Sales of 138 Victoria Street.

Name:  Lotus Seven advert only January 1970.png
Views: 314
Size:  3.8 KB

David McKinney's records show it was imported by Bob Burdon of Nelson early 1960s. Raced by Peter Stewart (BMC engine) 1966-67. Possibly owned by Larry Mulholland 2008.

Milan, you never cease to amaze me on what you have records for. I am going to guess that Peter Stewart raced it before Robat Mantis was created.
    The car was a "wee gem" although it could be said that the advert conflicts with what David McKinney says about import date?
    That car dealer was where I saw it, they wouldn't trade my MGA for enough for the deal to happen.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 07-13-2023 at 06:53 AM.

Oldfart - P. M. Stewart was entered with an 848cc Lotus 7 at Renwick in November 1966.

He was also entered in the car at Timaru in February 1967. The motor was then 1220cc. R.J. Stewart was in the same race with the Robat Mantis.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Oldfart - P. M. Stewart was entered with an 848cc Lotus 7 at Renwick in November 1966.

He was also entered in the car at Timaru in February 1967. The motor was then 1220cc. R.J. Stewart was in the same race with the Robat Mantis.
    1220cc is a capacity usually associated with Climax? So Peter in the Lotus, Bob(Robert) in the the Robat Mantis?
    I very nearly ordered a Robat Mantis chassis when I worked for the Hauraki Catchment Board in 1967!I even had the needed Standard 10 components (front and rear suspension parts)

1220cc is also about what you'd get with a 0.020" overbore of a 1098cc BMC A-series...

You'd think it unlikely someone would fit an FWA Climax and then revert to A-series later.

I'm still mystified by the shape of the nose on the car pictured above.

The nose may be modified to fit the NZ number plate. Around that time the regs on how they were mounted were sometimes difficult to obey with sports and low cars generally.

Thanks for the comment...

It still seems strange that they've gone to the trouble of rounding it off at the top the way they have.

Lotus 7 - chassis S1024

Guys thanks for the comments - now I need to get the story going.
    Part of Adrian Krzyzewski story on the car - with a comment by the late David McKinney.

Name:  Lotus Story #002 B The Blackburn Lotus 7 page two Adrian Krzyzewski .jpg
Views: 277
Size:  116.5 KB

Notes about the car and its first owner " Bob Blackburn " - of Weltex Plastics and Mistral fame.

Name:  Lotus Story #003 B The Blackburn Lotus 7 page 3 173 kb Adrian Krzyzewski.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  172.8 KB

The story will be a mixture of the pages from Adrian's story and the photos
    - photo on the page is from a video sequence of the start of the Sports Car Race at Dunedin Festival 28th January 1961 - the cars third event after appearing at the Ardmore Grand Prix meeting on 7th January and the Lady Wigram meeting on 21st January.

Thanks to Adrian for giving me permission to put the story on The Roaring Season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Thanks for the comment...

It still seems strange that they've gone to the trouble of rounding it off at the top the way they have.
    The Nose - photo was taken when Roger Hansen owned the car, second owner - the story has only recently been uncovered - more to come Ray Bell,

Cheers
    Roger

Lotus 7 the Bob Blackburn Car. Chassis S1024

Story hasn't progressed yet but recently Adrian Krzyzewski posted a couple of photos of the car - one from Dunedin in 1961 and the other when he purchased it in 2022.
    Adrian is seeking more photos of the car he purchased from the Dawes family - and its time with Bob Dawes who had passed away.
    Bob Dawes raced the car with the Sports Car Enthusiasts Club based in Palmerston North and mainly raced at Manfield - the SCEC. He competed with people like Austin Healey guy Jim Reece in a Mark 3 Sprite and others.

The Dunedin phioto - it is part of a sequence that is on a movie / video of the Dunedin 1961 Le Mans start Sports Car Race.

a similar photo I have seen was from Jim Bennett - on the Dunedin thread which showed the Bennet brothers Ivan and Cliff in their Morgan cars.
    One of the Bennett Morgan's can be seen as well as the AH 100S of E ( Joss ) Tims

Name:  Lotus Story #1025 Bob Blackburn Dunedin Festival 28 Jan 1961 D Tpye Jaguar w Bennett Morgans AH .jpg
Views: 125
Size:  174.1 KB

The car when Bob Dawes owned it - racing at Manfield - part of a series of photos of the cars in Jim Reece archives

Name:  SCEC #014 Manfield SCEC Racers 1970's Lotus 7 Bob Dawes -ex B Blackburn 173 kb arch Jim Reece .jpg
Views: 127
Size:  172.6 KB

The car when being collected by Adrian Krzyzewski in 2022 - his own archives

Name:  Lotus Story #1032 Lotus 7 ex Bob Blackburn as purchsed from Dawes Family early 2022 by Adrian Kr.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  173.4 KB

If anyone has photos of the car under Bob Dawes ownership - please let me know by PM or post on here.
    The Story of the this Lotus will be continued in the near future.

Cheers

Roger

Bob was a very dear friend of mine Roger and he really loved that car. So pleased to see that it is in good hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    Bob was a very dear friend of mine Roger and he really loved that car. So pleased to see that it is in good hands.
    As far as I know Bob Dawes owned the car longer than anyone else, he was racing it in the 1970's with SCEC, Sports Car Enthusiasts Club with my Austin Healey friend Jim Reece..
    Hope to get the story going soon .. have a few images to scan to my new Laptop..