Thread: Monterey Historic Automobile Races - 1982.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Further to the above photos..... the tag on the number 3 car says Deusenberg. I doubt very much whether it is, not the engine anyway, as I think I am right in saying all Deusenberg engines were straight 8's........right from the very first one. Lots of those board-racers were Ford powered, and that machine looks to have an after market OHV head, Rajo etc on a 4 cylinder block. Interesting chassis though.

The give-away that the big black tourer ISNT English is the wheel knock-off hubs. The Germans, Spanish, French and American had these large spinners whereas the English and Italians went for the finer version, mostly 2 eared, sometimes 3. The Spanish Pegaso car had large 2 eared spinners which always looked to me to be out of proportion, but on the German Mercedes Benz cars they looked ok. Even on a Vintage Bentley, itself a large car, the spinners were much finer. I think I have seen pictures of the Stutz classic racing in modern times, but it is on smaller wheels.......probably sensible, as I imagine racing tyres for the large 21inch would be hard to come by.

I wonder if the Austin 7 Mini still exists ??
    Thanks for the info - the program shows a 1916 Deusenberg Indy - race #3, 5400 cc Entrant / Driver John Thorpe / Nelson Thorpe, so assumed that is the car - there is no photo in the program unlike some other cars in each of the classes.

The Austin 7 Mini, was sold to a school mate in 1968 [ by then had widened front wheels by Dave Jolley, twin SU's and a modified exhaust by Rob Williams of Allard and Ford V8 Coupe fame, mentioned in the Hillclimbs thread and elsewhere ] the mate rebuilt the engine and used it for a while don't know if it still exists reg was AW 309, as would have had the old style 2 years plates of 6 numbers when new in 1960. Plates were changed every two years and a sticker issued for the second year to confirm registration.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 09-15-2015 at 07:14 AM. Reason: operator error ### no 47 as usual