Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Programs, movies and memories. (USA version )

World Champion

Programs, movies and memories. (USA version )

As my memory is not as good as it used to be I thought I would input some of the events that I have been to or followed while living here in California since 1974, while I still can ! These are not in any order as I start out in 1987 at Laguna Seca and I will drift around a bit. Please enter any events / photos and memories that you may also have of any racing, car shows, people, etc here in the USA.

(Ken Hyndman)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-10-2015 at 08:23 PM.

World Champion
    After being at the 2015 Rolex Reunion this year it brought back memories of the first time I went to Laguna Seca in May 1987. I eagerly climbed the hill to see the famous "Corkscrew" corner but was disappointed in the limited view for spectators. I was more impressed with the long corner that was turn 2 after cresting the rise after the start finish line. Many fine drivers ended up in the embankment on the outside of turn 2, including Mario Andretti, Keke Rosberg and Warwick Brown also had a big shunt there.
    The track was modified to its present course in 1988 so this was the last year to see the old track in action.
    It was the weekend for the IMSA Series. ( International Motor Sports Association ) Many of the cars were the same as what raced in Europe at Le Mans, Spa etc. Including one of my favorite cars at the time, the Lowenbrau Special Porsche 962, driven by Al Holbert plus the exciting Nissan GTP ZX Turbo.

Name:  laguna 1987.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  125.4 KB

This is the track configuration in 1987.

Name:  image (9).jpeg
Views: 1667
Size:  177.7 KB

This is how the track is today.

Name:  image (8).jpeg
Views: 1824
Size:  179.6 KB

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-10-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: *

1982 track looks similar to 1987 per this photo - from the 1982 program. Interestingly there was no actual map in the program with details of access, parking, conveniences etc..

Name:  Monterey Historics 1982 aerial photo CCI10092015 (455x640).jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  162.7 KB

World Champion
    THE 1987 IMSA GTO and GTU cars raced on Saturday.
    Chis Cord in a Dan Gurney All American Racers Toyota Celica Turbo won the race from 2 Chevrolet Camaros followed by Willy T Ribbs in the second Gurney Toyota Celica Turbo.

Note that the # 33 Mustang was driven by a driver who at that time was named Bruce Jenner and other drivers thought he was a very capable driver. (How things have changed over the next 28 years !)

I have included some photos from that day / race.
    First photo shows the track from the infield across the lakes to the long sweeping corners 1 & 2 after the start to the right.

Name:  Laguna Seca track in 1987 towards turn 1 & 2.jpg
Views: 2000
Size:  79.7 KB

The next is of the GTO warm up lap with Jack Baldwin in his Camaro leading the field toward turn 3.

Name:  Laguna Seca 1987. GTO field on warm up lap.jpg
Views: 2064
Size:  105.0 KB

First lap with Baldwin leading the field which included actor Paul Newman in a Nissan 300 ZX

Name:  2581_001.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  74.9 KB

Jack Baldwin in his Camaro leading eventual winner, Chris Cord in his Toyota Celica # 98 ahead of
    Willy T Ribbs in his Toyota # 99 in the early laps.

Name:  1987 GTO First lap.jpg
Views: 2033
Size:  91.6 KB

The GTO field heading up the hill towards turn 4 and on to the famous "Corkscrew" corner.

Name:  1987 GTO race. Going up the hill.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  85.6 KB

Will T Ribbs was one of the few colored drivers to do well in US racing.
    He is shown here talking to his boss, Dan Gurney, after finishing fourth in the 300 KM GTO race.

Name:  Willy T Ribbs with Dan Gurney. 1987.jpg
Views: 3579
Size:  59.9 KB

( Ken Hyndman photos )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-10-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: *

World Champion
    Laguna Seca 300 Kilometres GTO Race Results. May 2nd 1987

Name:  1987 GTO race results.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  181.8 KB

Note the 12th placed car was a young teenager, Tom Kendall, who went on to have a fine career in US racing. He won the GTU division in this race in his Mazda RX-7.

(Ken Hyndman..just got a bit of a rev for doing this during my lunch and into company time ! This is
    much more important !)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-10-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Willy T Ribbs, now there is a blast from the past. I remember him racing formula fords in the UK in the 70's.

World Champion
    The IMSA GTP cars were preparing to come out onto the track to practice and I went by the Al Holbert pit area and took some photos.
    I always admired Holbert for what he achieved both on and off the track and the cars he drove were always immaculately prepared.
    Sadly Al died a year later in a single pilot aircraft crash.

( Check this site )

http://www.imsa.com/articles/throwba...al-porsche-962

Al is wearing the brown jacket and is holding on to the support bar as he talks with his crew.

Name:  Al Holbert with Lowenbrau 962.jpg
Views: 1580
Size:  92.7 KB

Name:  Al Holbert prepares with crew.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  87.2 KB

( Ken Hyndman photos )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-10-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Laguna Seca 300 Kilometres GTO Race Results. May 2nd 1987

Name:  1987 GTO race results.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  181.8 KB

Note the 12th placed car was a young teenager, Tom Kendall, who went on to have a fine career in US racing. He won the GTU division in this race in his Mazda RX-7.

(Ken Hyndman..just got a bit of a rev for doing this during my lunch and into company time ! This is
    much more important !)
    I saw the name Bruce Jenner on the list and wondered if it was THE Bruce Jenner, and according to Google it is.
    He (as she was then) drove the 7-Eleven Roush Mustang. Wow, you learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    I saw the name Bruce Jenner on the list and wondered if it was THE Bruce Jenner, and according to Google it is.
    He (as she was then) drove the 7-Eleven Roush Mustang. Wow, you learn something new everyday.

Not sure on that one. Bruce Jenner from the South Island who ran a Camaro (ex- Everybody) went to the USA and raced there for years. I think he bought factory drive with Roush before going the Porsche way later. South Island contingent will know better (Jac Mac).

PS Bruce was known to be for the 'high jump' a couple of times back in the old days, but different jeans. (Levi I think)

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Not sure on that one. Bruce Jenner from the South Island who ran a Camaro (ex- Everybody) went to the USA and raced there for years. I think he bought factory drive with Roush before going the Porsche way later. South Island contingent will know better (Jac Mac).

PS Bruce was known to be for the 'high jump' a couple of times back in the old days, but different jeans. (Levi I think)
    There seem to be two different Bruce Jenner racing drivers.
    http://www.racingsportscars.com/driv...Jenner-NZ.html
    http://www.racingsportscars.com/driv...enner-USA.html

World Champion
    Auto racing career
    Jenner was a successful race car driver in the IMSA Camel GT series (International Motor Sports Association) in the 1980s. Jenner's first victory came in the 1986 12 hours of Sebring in the IMSA GTO class driving the 7-Eleven Roush Racing Ford Mustang with co-driver Scott Pruett. The pair won their class and finished 4th overall in the 12-hour endurance race. 1986 was also the most successful year of Jenner's career, finishing second in the championship to Pruett.[52][53] Jenner commented, "I was a lot more badass runner than I was a driver."

World Champion
    It seems ironic that I put this stuff together and Bruce / K...... Jenner gets all the attention !

Anyway two other cars that I liked there that day were the Chev Corvette GTP and the
    Nissan GTP ZX-T.

Name:  2582_001.jpg
Views: 1526
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  2582_001 (1).jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  49.8 KB

( Ken Hyndman photos )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-11-2015 at 05:22 AM.

World Champion
    On Sunday May 3 1987 the IMSA GTP race took place.
    I found this Youtube of the original TV broadcast that shows the racing in full swing.
    So sit back and enjoy GTP racing at Laguna Seca for almost 2 hours.

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-11-2015 at 05:20 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post

Bruce Jenner from Dunedin- Ex Coppins Early Camaro, still with 'Gold' paint job & 'Ultra Tune' signage, a few years before my OSCA time. IIRC he later brought the Porsche 944? turbo and a Pontiac Firebird?, both spaceframe cars out to NZ for a Trans Am series ( about same time of Wills RX8 etc ), the two drivers swapped cars occasionally, names escape me. Got a feeling the Firebird might have stayed here in NZ- could it be the one that ended up with Ford SVO motor at one point? Paul Gentiloni might have been one driver & Jenner may have driven himself on a couple of occasions?
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 09-11-2015 at 06:07 AM.

World Champion
    The Chevrolet Corvette GTP for 1987 was run by the Hendricks Motorsport Team. It did not have much success but I certainly liked the look of it on the track and US fans enjoyed seeing a local product competing against the foreign contingent e.g. Porsche, Nissan,, Jaguar etc. The chassis was by Lola, the engine used here was a Buick 3.0 litre turbo charged V-6. But despite a large budget the results were lacking and General Motors canceled funding after the 1988 season.But here in May 1987 they had high expectations and were even experimenting with Lotus active suspension to control the stiffness during the race.

Name:  2582_001.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  172.5 KB

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    From the 1986 Laguna Seca program came this page regarding Bruce Jenner..
    Perhaps the fuel smells or exhaust heat did some damage. He certainly had talent back then !)

Name:  Jenner_NEW.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  178.3 KB

( You may need a magnifying glass for this one.)
    Ken Hyndman.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-14-2015 at 06:23 AM.

World Champion
    A year earlier, in April 1986, I had been offered tickets to go to Riverside International Raceway to watch the 6 hour "Times" GTP Endurance race. Versions of this race had a history dating back to 1958 and the only 3 time winner was Denis Hulme in the glory days of Can Am. As I had just returned from a trip to NZ I reluctantly gave up my tickets to a friend who had an experience he would never forget.

Name:  1986 Riverside.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  151.0 KB

The "Times" race had a field of 50 cars which led to some of the excitement.

Name:  1986 Riverside # 1.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  119.9 KB

Name:  1986 Riverside # 2.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  111.2 KB
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-14-2015 at 03:37 PM.

World Champion
    During the race my friend, Barney, moved to the infield just after the start line to watch the race. He had just settled down when suddenly all hell broke loose as one of the biggest accidents ever seen at Riverside took place and he was thankful he was not hit by debris and he told me he was not going back to any event again with my complimentary tickets !
    When you see the Youtube video you will understand how he and many others felt and it is a miracle that none of the drivers were injured. It seems Barney's favorite race car, the # 52 Chev Corvette GTP driven by Doc Bundy was blamed for this incident, although Bundy stated it was just a " racing accident ".
    I will let you all be the judge on that.

( I think Barney is one of the spectators scattering in the background !)
    ( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-14-2015 at 09:30 PM.

World Champion
    April 1986.
    This is a non racing Hyndman story. Our son had his first birthday on the day we left New Zealand and he was fussed over by his NZ grand ma. On the Air NZ flight the hostesses fussed over him again and gave him a diploma for crossing the Equator and then when he landed in LA it was still his birthday over here and again his US grandmother fussed over him once more ! It was a fond memory that
    we will never forget.
    On one flight back I happened to get to chat with Rod Millen and was amazed at what he and Steve have achieved here in California.
    I was blown away with the diversity in projects at Rod's company: " MillenWorks"..
    Check out this site.
    http://www.millenworks.com/

(Ken Hyndman )

July August 1982 ; some Roger Dowding BMC BOY memories.

Visited the Cunningham Museum, which no longer exists, many of the cars are with the Collier family - descendents of the Colliers that raced for Briggs in the early - mid 1950's including in a Cadillac at Le Mans in 1950.
    Name:  Healey Trip 1982 Cunningham Museum .CCI15092015_0001 (663x800) (622x750).jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  179.8 KB

Also attended " The 6th All British Field Meet and Concours " organised by the Jaguar Owners Club Oregon [ JOCO ], they had many of these stickers for sale. " I'd rather be driving my ..... - " Austin-Healey, Triumph, Jaguar, MG etc "

Name:  Healey trip 1982 Jaguar Owners Club Oregon Concours #2, vCCI15092015_0001 (800x264).jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  80.8 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 09-15-2015 at 05:20 AM. Reason: typist error #47.