Thread: Programs, movies and memories. (USA version )

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    In March 1976 I went back to Long Beach for the Formula One race as a spectator which was easier on me compared to trying to be a mechanic/helper for the Theodore Racing Team and Tony Brise at the F5000 race the previous September. It had its sad moments as we remembered Tony and Graham Hill and others who had died in the plane crash in November 1975.
    Long Beach was really humming and crowded and one of the first events was what I think was one of the first Historic Grand Prix race / demonstration and what a great field of drivers and cars. I doubt if these same drivers ever got on the same track again and I was blessed to standing close to where the celebrations took place after the race. I will share some of this day from old photos that I have just
    rescued from a garage closet.

Name:  USGP West 1977 Cover.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  183.5 KB

[Name:  Historic F 1 cars.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  178.5 KB

Name:  Dan Gurney having fun at Long Beach.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  170.3 KB

Name:  USGP West GP. Historic winner celebration.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  175.5 KB
    What a great line up. From left to right; Carroll Shelby, Rene Dreyfus, Stirling Moss, Maurice Trintignant, Juan Fangio, Dan Gurney, Jack Brabham, Denis Hulme and Innes Ireland getting sprayed for taking Gurney's helmet.
    Did they ever gather together again ?

Name:  Moss and Fangio.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  183.7 KB
    After the race, Dan Gurney leads the way as Stirling Moss and Juan Fangio follow.

Fangio is being careful where he puts his foot !

Jack Brabham is also in the background in this photo taken on Ocean Boulevard in Long Beach.

(Ken Hyndman photos ..some photos signed by Dan Gurney in 1976)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-18-2015 at 10:46 PM.