Thread: Programs, movies and memories. (USA version )

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    I was told that if it had 4 wheels, had heaps of grunt and made lots of noise then I could post it on TRS.
    Name:  DSCN8932.JPG
Views: 503
Size:  183.9 KB
    F/A 18F Super Hornet. (Hyndman photo )

This may not be proper but I wanted to share some things of the wonderful privilege I had of being captured and captivated by the US Navy for a few days last month. Known as a "Tiger Cruise" it is where family members are invited aboard for the final few days of what had been an around the world tour of duty for the nuclear powered Nimitz class US aircraft carrier USS Stennis.
    Thanks to Sean's invitation I joined up at Mayport, Florida, and sailed 3 days up to Newport, Virginia where the carrier will undergo a very expensive 4 year overhaul.
    Name:  DSCN8915 - Copy.JPG
Views: 473
Size:  185.6 KB

Name:  Leaving Mayport, Florida.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  169.9 KB
    (K H photos.) Leaving Mayport,Florida. May 14. 2019.

" Refueling and Complex Overhaul (RCOH) is a process for refueling and upgrading nuclear-powered aircraft carriers in the US Navy. The nuclear reactors that power some aircraft carriers typically use up their nuclear fuel about halfway through their desired 50-year life spans. Because carriers can last so long before being retired, they are refueled and refurbished with an RCOH to extend their usable lifetime. At the same time a ship is refueled, it is given a complex overhaul in which broken, worn or obsolete parts are repaired or replaced and systems are modernized. The modernization typically includes an upgrade of ship’s combat systems and warfighting capabilities, its internal distribution systems are upgraded, and allowance is made for future upgrades over the ship’s remaining operational service life. Given the size of an aircraft carrier and the number of systems and subsystems it has, an RCOH is extremely complex, costly (several billion dollars), and time-consuming. Each RCOH is planned to take 46 months." (Wikipedis.org info.)

(Ken H ) ..More to come if allowed ?)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 06-07-2019 at 11:12 PM.