Thread: Baypark ; lost tracks - Australian Muscle Car issue 83

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    Likewise.
    I wasn't expecting to find "Australian Muscle Car" anywhere in the West or Northwest of Auckland, but found one in a superette at Hobsonville. It took only a couple of minutes to flick through the 2 pages of the article - it was a distinct disappointment.

A mutual friend had given me a dozen or so earlier issues and there were some very interesting articles on "Circuits of the Past" - Orange/Gnoo Blas, Amaroo Park, Catalina, Calder Thunderdrome, and a street circuit at Toowoomba(where a Falcon raced for the first time ever). I have since passed these on, but I kept one which had a fascinating story called "The Great Ruse" about the origins of Mt Panorama, and the correspondence between the Mayor of Bathurst and the NSW Minister of Works about the "tourist road" over the Bald Hills (renamed Mt Panorama) when everybody in the area knew it was to be a motor race circuit.

Against this background the Bay Park story was a complete let-down. Perhaps we should nominate a volunteer to write the proper story for them.

Stu Buchanan
    Stu (and others)...your ref to a road racing circuit in the Woomba got my interest...

Scroll down to 20 Sept 1958 below...

http://www.mgccq.org.au/11Motor%20Sp...to%20Taper.pdf

PS I have been told that the MotoX cct at Echo Valley was a former blacktop circuit as well.
    Last edited by 275 GTB; 04-20-2016 at 07:12 AM. Reason: more info