Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kirk View Post
Har ha ha, yeah Steve did bring a transam-type car here to race in our NZ summer series that didn't comply to the rules but somhow he managed to get permission to race, he also brought a V12 BMW road car to drive from the motel to the race track and back, (Very impressive!) Funnilly enough he wasn't well recieved here for a few reasons, eg, he couldn't drive, the car didn't comply, he was promoting Austrailian "mineral" water here in NZ, (our's is the best in the world), and he had one silver cup/trophy (dunno where he found it), that he carefully put on the dashboard of the tow truck so everybody could see it. But I think he might have influenced the course of car racing in NZ, because it was the start of the Transam importing boom.
PK.
There is some race footage from that season on this thread Paul: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...-Sports-Sedans

Yes I agree, I think that car did create a turning point for NZ sports sedans. As Rod has said above, there were a few NZ built space-frame sports sedans already racing, but that car seems to be the first space-frame car from the US and it was very quick. Owners started importing their own versions during the following seasons, and then it was decided that everyone should have one, and that the old traditional production based sports sedans were effectively outlawed. The US space-frame cars were certainly effective, but they lacked the character and uniqueness of the Kiwi machines.