Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
About 10-15 years ago John Diamond (I think) appeared at a New Zealand historic racing event with a car he'd brought over from Australia called a Carter Corvette. It was a smallish sports car from memory, in which the rear wheels were partially covered by the bodywork. Does anyone have any info and pics of this car? Was it John Diamond who owned it? And if so, was this the same John Diamond who with brother Steve were active New Zealand racers in the '70s? Steve moved to the US and established a large mineral water company I believe called Koala Mineral Water, or something similar.
Har ha ha, yeah Steve did bring a transam-type car here to race in our NZ summer series that didn't comply to the rules but somhow he managed to get permission to race, he also brought a V12 BMW road car to drive from the motel to the race track and back, (Very impressive!) Funnilly enough he wasn't well recieved here for a few reasons, eg, he couldn't drive, the car didn't comply, he was promoting Austrailian "mineral" water here in NZ, (our's is the best in the world), and he had one silver cup/trophy (dunno where he found it), that he carefully put on the dashboard of the tow truck so everybody could see it. But I think he might have influenced the course of car racing in NZ, because it was the start of the Transam importing boom.
PK.