Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvette Engines and Racingcars

Yes thats right, Steve had the Vette. The EH was imported from Australia for OSCA. Steve purchased it from Ron Dickson.

The V8 Capri John Dymond had was apparently scrapped. I was speaking with Don Elvy about this car some time back and this is what he felt happened to it.

Its official, I'm an idiot. It was Mark Dymond (no relation) who had the Carter Corvette. Does anyone have any more info on this car?

Name:  Carter Corvette.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  111.3 KB

did he take the McLaren coupe back to the states??

I think these have the right motors
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Stanton-Covette Sports.

Rod Coppins Zephyr-Corvette Tribute car. The original had the ex Camoradi Corvette engine out of the TecMec Maserati. (What happened to that engine?)

Semi-Pro Racer
    [QUOTE=Steve Holmes;2810] Does anyone have any more info on this car?

Murray originally built it up I believe on basically a Jag XK 120? chassis .
    This is Murray reunited /driving his old car with I assume the current owner...

Pic source not known

From Web..... at Historic Winton/ FOS recently....

Pic source not known
    Last edited by Ellis; 08-27-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Hey Ellis, many thanks, thats brilliant. Do you have any more info on it?

Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    Stanton-Covette Sports.

Rod Coppins Zephyr-Corvette Tribute car. The original had the ex Camoradi Corvette engine out of the TecMec Maserati. (What happened to that engine?)

Good question Gavin, what did happen to that engine?

Here is some incar footage of a Gen III Corvette race car Myles Johnson (thunder427) built for a customer. You can see the driver is being VERY gentle on the throttle, not gassing it up until the car is straight, but he gets caught out a couple of times.

Here is a model that was built of the Corvette. Cool huh!

Name:  88-3[2].jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  88-1[2].jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  49.6 KB

Sorry, should have said, the track is Winton.

Weekend Warrior
    Hay Rod, I'm pretty sure that was Steve that brought out the IMSA car. (And got the rules changed so he could run it here).
    PK.

Weekend Warrior
    He also brought a v12 BMW with him, to get from the motel to the race track in, and that combined with the AUSTRALIAN water, (ours is better), certainly did "impress" many of us.
    PK.

Yea Paul it was Steve, and yep there was a bit of an act around him and his troop. Don't know if he made a very big following (never seen him since)

Semi-Pro Racer
    .....spoke To Rowan Pinder today,owner of the 'Orange' Corvette that you can share a ride around Winton Raceway courtesy of the 'incar camera',he's planning to post on this great forum,clearing up a few points,firstly that he,Rowan built the Corvette racer and called upon my services after one of those ,'Oooooops moments when fibreglass tree comes in contact with wooden Corvette,put another way,it was a very confussing moment for Rowan,to say the least,But you can always fix 'race cars',the Corvette saddly was very much in need of a 'plastic surgeon' of some repute ,when all else failed...... Rowan rung me for my service's, he had been told I had an excellent 'bedside' manner.!!!!...............regards thunder427/MJ
    Last edited by thunder427; 08-02-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Sorry, my mistake. Would be great to see some more photos of this car Myles. And get some more info on it.

Steve,

Here you go......

I can put the build pictures on this thread or start another..... It's your call on that

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Sorry, my mistake. Would be great to see some more photos of this car Myles. And get some more info on it.
    SORRY!!!Sorry,What have you got to be sorry about,it was just a typical Journalistic bungle!!!........Nahh!! Just joking!!!..no offence taken, be assured.............MJ

Steve, I sold Rowan's brother,Micheal my '69 Camaro (Read MISTAKE!! hindsite and all that!) at that time Micheal expressed that his Brother,Rowan would be interested in a manual/chrome bumper Vette,should I ever come across one 'for sale'...interesting point,at this time Rowan was driving a real nice C2/Red/327/Manual, he had imported from NZ !!!!!!!!!

I was offered a very nice/clean/ RHD/maunual 'Vette that had became ava,from a private collection, at a very even price,it had a few minor faults that needed attending prior to 'sale', which we handled before offering this car for Micheal's approval, Rowan took up the opportunity and purchased it for his 'Targa' ambitions

Rowan, turned out a 'cool' vette 'Tarmac/street racer in Red,(something about 'Goes Faster'!!)but what has been interesting ,for me is to have observed the 'racer' come out in Rowan,he's developed a keen eye for detail, with a simplicity thats getting great results as his 'Project Vette' evolves.................should mention, Brother Micheal is a bit of a suspension 'Guru' that works for a division involved with the FPR road cars.used to take delight in driving his (mine!!) Camaro to work and parking in the Ford car park !!!!
    ...............regards thunder427/MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Leo D View Post
    Steve,

Here you go......

I can put the build pictures on this thread or start another..... It's your call on that
    Yeah, a dedicated thread would be great thanks Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    SORRY!!!Sorry,What have you got to be sorry about,it was just a typical Journalistic bungle!!!........Nahh!! Just joking!!!..no offence taken, be assured.............MJ

Steve, I sold Rowan's brother,Micheal my '69 Camaro (Read MISTAKE!! hindsite and all that!) at that time Micheal expressed that his Brother,Rowan would be interested in a manual/chrome bumper Vette,should I ever come across one 'for sale'...interesting point,at this time Rowan was driving a real nice C2/Red/327/Manual, he had imported from NZ !!!!!!!!!

I was offered a very nice/clean/ RHD/maunual 'Vette that had became ava,from a private collection, at a very even price,it had a few minor faults that needed attending prior to 'sale', which we handled before offering this car for Micheal's approval, Rowan took up the opportunity and purchased it for his 'Targa' ambitions

Rowan, turned out a 'cool' vette 'Tarmac/street racer in Red,(something about 'Goes Faster'!!)but what has been interesting ,for me is to have observed the 'racer' come out in Rowan,he's developed a keen eye for detail, with a simplicity thats getting great results as his 'Project Vette' evolves.................should mention, Brother Micheal is a bit of a suspension 'Guru' that works for a division involved with the FPR road cars.used to take delight in driving his (mine!!) Camaro to work and parking in the Ford car park !!!!
    ...............regards thunder427/MJ
    You know what journo's are like Myles, if the truth doesn't make a good enough story, then a new one has to be fabricated!

Semi-Pro Racer
    I resemble that remark!