Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lakeside Classic September 2015, Festival of Sports and Racing cars,

Re the Giacattolo here's a bit from Wiki (not my favourite source but it ties in with bits and pieces I've read elsewhere over the years)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giocattolo

The attached pic is from the car park outside the Sandown Historics in 2006. I've seen it there since in subsequent years.Name:  Sandown 06 002 (400 x 300).jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  45.2 KB

PS: I love them.......

Quote Originally Posted by librules View Post
    Re the Giacattolo here's a bit from Wiki (not my favourite source but it ties in with bits and pieces I've read elsewhere over the years)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giocattolo

The attached pic is from the car park outside the Sandown Historics in 2006. I've seen it there since in subsequent years.Name:  Sandown 06 002 (400 x 300).jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  45.2 KB

PS: I love them.......
    Yes, so do I, an Alfasud Sprint, which was not really an Alfa, according to some, but like this, one very cute car..

A few more shots

Some single seaters which I don't think got posted
    Name:  Lakeside Classic, Chevron B29 David Kent, Brabham BT29 Max Pearson #2,  IMG_0202 (2) (800x533).jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  179.1 KB

posted this one before
    Name:  Lakeside Classuc Lola R440 Nicholas opie #47, Crossle 32F Len Walters #2, IMG_0201 (2) (800x533).jpg
Views: 985
Size:  183.2 KB

Name:  Lakeside Classic FVee Rapier Paul Manteit #2,  IMG_0200 (2) (800x533).jpg
Views: 931
Size:  177.3 KB

there are a few more just need to edit them. the thread took a back seat for a while.

Waiting for next years series of Classic Historics at Lakeside.

Our mode of transport was less exciting.

Name:  Clive at Lakeside Sept 2015 v2,  IMG_0222 (3) (640x427).jpg
Views: 909
Size:  122.7 KB

my brother in law enjoying the races in comfort.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-23-2015 at 12:01 AM. Reason: correction of info ###47.

Originally posted by Roger Dowding
    a few more Italians - not a great shot, too much sun by then.Attachment 30507
    Roger, it looks like you have an auto-focus camera here...

It's latched onto the fence to focus and thus spoiled the focus on the cars. I hate auto-focus, you can't trust it, my SP500 has an option to disable it temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Roger, it looks like you have an auto-focus camera here...

It's latched onto the fence to focus and thus spoiled the focus on the cars. I hate auto-focus, you can't trust it, my SP500 has an option to disable it temporarily.
    Ray, yes you are right, I haven't tried to use a manual setting yet as mainly been taking people and scenic photos. must practice before the next event,
    cheers and thanks

Roger

Auto focus cameras... the work of the devil!

And because they're so universally popular those of us who want to do better find it so much harder...

Lakeside Classics - the 2016 season begins March 19-20 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Auto focus cameras... the work of the devil!

And because they're so universally popular those of us who want to do better find it so much harder...
    Ray am going to get organised to use the camera properly, giving myself a couple of months before the first Classic meeting, which will features Trans-Ams and I believe some of the Muscle cars from the NZ series, hopefully.
    We will go on the Sunday most likely..
    there are normally 3 meetings, March June and September as part of the Historic Classic Festivals.

Roger, it's all a matter of what functions the camera allows...

My Olympus SP500 has a function where you can set a manual focus, it's a bit cumbersome but generally speaking for motor racing shots (not pit area shots) you only need to set it on or near infinity and you've got all you want.

Edit: I just went back and re-read that you have a DSLR, that should have a ready availability of manual focus.
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 01-05-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Autofocus works just fine.
    With most cameras you can activate the AF by depressing the shutter button halfway down, so you focus on the point you want in focus & then while still keeping your finger on the shutter release [half way depressed] recompose your picture to what you want in your final image. Once you know how to do it it's much quicker than manual focusing. As they say "practice makes perfect"
    Hope this helps

Auto focus is a total pain when it's the default...

Using the 'half depressed' method you really never know when the camera will decide to change the point of focus just as you shoot the photo... among other things.

The problem relates to when there's something closer to you than the subject to be photographed. Shooting past a fence, as shown on the previous page, past brush or trees, the camera can grab onto the closer object and your desired subject is then out of focus. And it's worse when you want to pan. Worse still when shooting through wire netting.

As I said, most motor racing photos are taken at or close to infinity, focussing in nice bright conditions will generally not see you changing focus with most lenses. Depth of field will give some flexibility.

If you look at the rear view pic of Peter Jones' Ferrari on the previous page you'll see that the best focus is on the Armco and the plastic barriers in the foreground. To get that shot by the 'half depressed' method would be impossible as the car is going past too fast. In fact, this would be the case in most motor racing shots.

The last pic on the previous page shows this to the greatest degree, the fence posts are sharp as can be and the cars totally blurred out. The other pics have the problem to a lesser degree. Had these shots been taken with the focus fixed, or hand adjusted, they would have been much better.

Camera Focus

Ray and Nigel,
    Thanks for your advice, I do need to get to know my camera, as want to take better photos than I currently do.
    my old photos from Laguna Seca - the Monterey thread [ taken in 1982 ] and the more recent ones posted from Portland Raceway on Ken Hyndman's US thread were taken with a Canon AE1, that I bought new in 1982 used a standard lens in '82 and a long lens in '88, the long lens cost more than the camera.
    The Lakeside photos taken with the new digital Canon EOS 700D, with a long lens 55-250 and were downloaded
    Must get in some practice before March.

cheers to you both, and hopefully can post better images.

Roger

The Lakeside Classic is being replaced by Historic Lakeside in 2016.
    A full historic meeting with all historic classes. Should be a great meeting.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes, I am looking forward to having another run there. Last time was 2011. I hope it will become a regular event.
    Dale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Harvey View Post
    Yes, I am looking forward to having another run there. Last time was 2011. I hope it will become a regular event.
    Dale.
    Dale, I will say hello, and take a photo or several of your car,
    cheers, Roger

Semi-Pro Racer
    Good on ya.

Dale.
    Dale H, what do you run, I went to Lakeside in 2011 for the July and August Classic meetings, missed the earlier one, March I think, as was still in Sydney.. will be there on Sunday 20th, barring a Hurricane or Storm..
    look forward to catching up..

Semi-Pro Racer
    A group O racing car built in 1969 called the Proton. #96.
    Dale.

A group O racing car built in 1969 called the Proton. #96.
    Dale.
    Will look out for you, good luck racing..

Lakeside Classic - Golden Anniversary

Moved to Queensland in May 2011, and living 40 minutes form the said track it was inevitable I would go there.
    2011 was the Golden Anniversary and Four classic historic meetings were held, March then May - just missed that, but got to the July and August meetings, no photos just these some tickets and a hat to show for my visits.

Name:  Lakeside #1 Programme July 2011 CCI17012016 (529x750).jpg
Views: 762
Size:  178.5 KB

Name:  Lakeside #2 Programme August 2011 CCI17012016_0001 (529x750).jpg
Views: 734
Size:  178.7 KB

Have been to various meeting since 2012 to 2015 but no programmes like these with the history of the track and some great photos.
    Thanks to the efforts of many the track still survives after a major rebuild in 2009, and the improvements are ongoing
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 01-17-2016 at 11:02 PM.

Interlude ; Indy cars at the Gold Coast 1997

Went to the Gold Coast Indy Carnival three times over its running this time April 1997, again in October 2003 ?? and again in around 2005.?? unsure of both years but have the hat badges from all three meetings !!

just a few shots from 1997

The program .. note American spelling !!
    Name:  Gold Coast Indy 1997 #1 The program ... CCI17012016_0002 (560x750) (523x700).jpg
Views: 580
Size:  165.9 KB

some views of the Indy Cars in the pits
    Name:  Gold Coast Indy 1997 #2 Indy cars pits 1 CCI17012016_0005 (750x505).jpg
Views: 495
Size:  170.4 KB

Name:  Gold Coast Indy 1997 #3 Indy cars the pits 2 CCI17012016_0003 (750x508).jpg
Views: 503
Size:  173.4 KB

Name:  Gold Coast Indy 1997 #4 Indy cars the pits 3 CCI17012016_0004 (750x484).jpg
Views: 549
Size:  157.5 KB

Name:  Gold Coast Indy 1997 #5 Sports Sedans CCI17012016_0006 (750x544).jpg
Views: 504
Size:  157.8 KB

to follow some closer shots of Indy Cars and a few others.