Thread: The Custaxie: Life After Racing

The Custaxie: Life After Racing

I was sent a couple of brilliant photos to our Facebook page by Nik Carter, who was one of the owners of the Custaxie, after its brief motor racing career had ended.

The Custaxie, a mid-1950s Ford Customline fitted with a 427ci Ford Galaxie motor, and which featured heavily modified body, suspension, and chassis work, made its racing debut in late 1966, for the 1966/67 New Zealand Saloon Car Championship, which was the last held under the outgoing Allcomer rules.

It was the brainchild of Tony Kriletich and his good mate Robbie Franicevic, and it was Robbie who drove the car. After finishing 2nd in the opening three rounds of the championship, Franicevic and the Custaxie then went on to win the final four races, to take the title.

New Zealand then adopted FIA Froup 5 touring car rules for the 1968 season, and the Custaxie really had nowhere to race, so was converted into a road car, with the 427 motor replaced by a side-valve V8.

Nik Carter was one of the owners of the car, and he purchased it from Bruce Croydon Thompson.

Note in this first image the side stripes, roof stripes, and race numbers, as are the wide steel wheels the car wore when it raced. But, small tail lights have been grafted into the rear panel.

Nik explains: "The custaxie at Croydon Thompson's place in Onehunga before I bought it from him (photo courtesy of Bruce Greer). Sat on my mums front lawn in South Auckland for ages before I sold it just prior to moving to North America. Car was painted purple when I bought it from Croydon".

Name:  12009613_10156177500770160_5535267280618826522_n.jpg
Views: 2241
Size:  60.0 KB

Here is the car again, this time out front of Croydon's house. It appears it was primered, perhaps in preparation for its purple paint. Its hard to tell, but there are possibly headlights fitted inside the large duct in the nose, which is how it appeared when it was used on the road.

Nik again: "Another photo of the custaxie before I bought it (photo courtesy of Bruce Greer.) Photo taken at Croydon Thompson's place Onehunga. It was painted purple when I had it. I had planned to grasstrack race the car".

Name:  12002212_10156177502070160_6539017940777002400_n.jpg
Views: 2145
Size:  41.7 KB

Thanks again to Nik Carter for sharing these. He is hoping to find a couple of photos from when he owned it, when it had the purple paint.

I can feel a new model coming on !!!!!!!

World Champion
    So, what happened to it between these pictures, and the machine we have discussed on the roaring season at length, and christened Custaxie 2. now owned by Mr Bartley.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    So, what happened to it between these pictures, and the machine we have discussed on the roaring season at length, and christened Custaxie 2. now owned by Mr Bartley.
    I remember Croydon Thompson had an F100 pickup [ as the Americans called them ] which he use to take to Hot Rod Club grass sprints around Auckland in the late 1960's. Believe he also made Mag wheels, in an American Style 5 spoke a bit like Cragars.. can anyone elaborate on these memories

Yep, he was at Riverhead Grasstrack with McConnachie bros, Ron Kendal, Rob Watkins etc. 1970?
    Metallic Purple F100 Ford.
    He had it at the drags at Kerrs Rd, at that time, dropped a patch on start line and did in the driveshaft.
    Also he made Thompson Mags, fitted Chev V8s into MK1V Zephyrs, a real hot rodder.
    Had a rail dragster- Pure Heaven, caused so much grief we all called it Pure Hell.
    It seems all his cars were that same metallic purple.
    I was working at Paine Mts, Otara - Chev parts, regular customers.
    Kevin took Custaxie to Wiri also- had Smoka on it.
    They were Otahuhu boys working from double garage at mums house.....with 3 phase.
    Dont remember Cusso there in 73/74.
    Seems a lot of mums had sons cars sitting in front lawns then..................
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 09-23-2015 at 06:57 AM.

Thompson sprints were one of his mags. I had them on my Z/28 when I bought it off Duncan Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Yep, he was at Riverhead Grasstrack with McConnachie bros, Ron Kendal, Rob Watkins etc. 1970?
    Metallic Purple F100 Ford.
    He had it at the drags at Kerrs Rd, at that time, dropped a patch on start line and did in the driveshaft.
    Also he made Thompson Mags, fitted Chev V8s into MK1V Zephyrs, a real hot rodder.
    Had a rail dragster- Pure Heaven, caused so much grief we all called it Pure Hell.
    It seems all his cars were that same metallic purple.
    I was working at Paine Mts, Otara - Chev parts, regular customers.
    Kevin took Custaxie to Wiri also- had Smoka on it.
    They were Otahuhu boys working from double garage at mums house.....with 3 phase.
    Dont remember Cusso there in 73/74.
    Seems a lot of mums had sons cars sitting in front lawns then..................
    John M, I was at Riverhead and somewhere should be a " B & W ' small photo of Croydon's Pickup, plus a bit of the racing, now where did I put them ??.

This takes me back.. I did all the work to put this car on the road before selling it on.. I primered it all grey before doing so..Someone has put the stripes back on after I sold it.

Custaxie.

Photo was taken by Alan Porter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Would this be the street drags at Wiri in the early 70s.
    Hot Rod mag at the time showed it with Smoka on the drivers side.

John these photos come from Alan Porters face book pages. A collection of his photos and yes from Wiri. Cheers, Bruce

I found this on another thread. Does anyone know where this is?

Name:  custaxie.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  167.3 KB