Thread: Dunedin Street Races - revival meeting January 1984

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Otago Sports Car Cub - history

Allan Dick publisher of motoring magazines since the 1960's and more recently " Classic Driver " has been asked to write a book on the History of the Club - here is his post on Facebook;

" THE HISTORY OF THE OTAGO SPORTS CAR CLUB.
    The Otago Sports Car Club (Inc) was founded in 1948 and was one of the charter members of the newly formed Association of New Zealand Car Clubs — today MotorSport NZ. As such is is one of the oldest and more important clubs of its kind in the country.
    It played a pivotal role in re-establishing the sport in New Zealand after World War 2 and creating an operating organisation.
    In 1953 the club was courageous enough to stage street race racing with the first round-the-houses meeting to be held in New Zealand and through the fifties the city was an important part of the national motor racing scene.
    Today, the club is a major player in the world of rallying (the Otago Rally sets standards for all other clubs) but remains active across the other aspects of the sport as well.
    The OSCC was a crucial part of my life through most of the sixties and becoming Editor of the club magazine, Wheelspin, in 1963 was the impetus that started me on what I am still doing today.
    I have been asked to put together a history of the club from the establishment in1948 to the present day.
    Early records are very sketchy and much of the early stuff has been lost and, of course, most of those early pioneers are no longer with us.
    The book will not be a long, detailed history, but rather written and photographic snapshots of events, people and places from 1948 right through to 2015.
    So, please search your scrapbooks, boxes in the garage, photo albums for anything you think might help with this project.
    Photograph is of one of the club founders — Harry Hedges — in his MGTC raising dust at an early hillclimb where crash helmets were not obligatory. Sadly, Harry died several months ago at a grand old age, still loving his cars and his whiskey.
    I will be establishing a Facebook page devoted to this as well as a direct email address, but in the meantime please contact me at adnztoday@gmail.com.
    And please spread the word. "

I have added some of the fronts of the programmes that were given to me by Bruce Dyer [ Spgeti ] and front of the 1984 Revival meeting added by Steve Nisbett [ gd66 ].
    I am sure many of you will have photos, new clippings and pieces of history of the club.

as Allan says - please spread the word,
    cheers

Roger
    the photo
    Name:  Vinatge MG, OSCC event 1940's 11949257_549882148505088_4919349709581839424_n.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  135.6 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 01-16-2016 at 03:23 AM. Reason: photo added