Quote Originally Posted by GregT View Post
Until recently I lived in Hororata which is the nearest settlement of any size. Having known for years about Te Pirita being used I did ask one or two of the locals for any info. Not being a born and bred local myself. I'm told there's pretty much nothing left of what was the airfield. It was after all only a grass strip - like Wigram - but without Wigram's sealed perimeter track. That area is all relatively recent conversions to dairy. Within the last 20 years or so anyway. I suspect you'd be hard put to see any evidence even from the air by now.

I knew about it from listening to talk at home - the old man was a founder member of the Motor Racing Club.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Te...4!4d171.893538
there is a slight trace on google maps, i flew over there recently and at that time of the year couldn't see anything at all, pretty cool feeling to see seagrove air base still clear as from a plane up north. I have become friends with a guy called Max Poole, he was a child on Seagrove shortly after the war, I took him out there recently and loved his guided tour of where everything was there too.