Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
I have just joined this site after searching the net for anything about the 1984 Dunedin Street Race. It was me that drove the Pontiac Bonneville. I still have the car and after a hibernation of more than 20 years it is being resurrected. Pictures to come. I am not sure where those pictures of the street sprints are from but in January 1984 for the race competitors the Saturday was taken up with a hill climb at Bethune's Gully. I wonder if maybe the locals had the street sprints as entertainment because there was very limited spectating at the hill climb. I have some pics of the event and I will have to resize them to suit this site.

I entered for the 1986 event but did not make it as the new, bigger, engine was not ready in time. I subsequently did the 1986 and 1987 Queenstown Sprints, the 1987 Wigram Wings and Wheels, and the 1989(?) Lyttelton Street Race. I was a regular at the local drag strip as well.
Mark D, got your private message, I was visiting from Auckland, working in Dunedin for two weeks and this event was the middle weekend of my trip, so didn't go back home, and had my camera, a bonus !! Yes the programme was for the racing on Sunday, but they had Sprints, down by the wharves on the Saturday, combined event between two clubs, wished I had known about the Hill Climb. All my photos are on the thread, plus some I bought from the Otago Daily Times, which I ordered on the Monday and were at work by mid-week.. a great weekend, and the Dunedin weather was good too !!

Would be great to see other photos of the Car.. post them here if you wish as connected to Dunedin and Street Races.. or start your own thread.. Is all Good ..

Name:  Dunedin Festival 1984 #22 Pontiac v2, CCI27102015_0001 (2).jpg
Views: 1966
Size:  180.1 KB