Thread: Motor Racing pics - my early years, 1964-71 ; Pukekohe Racetrack ;by - Roger Dowdingl

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1966 The Reverse Direction meeting in April - Sports Cars

Thanks to Steve Sharp for this grid photo.

Name:  Pukekohe 1966 #13 April 1966 Sports Car Race Start Steve Sharp .jpg
Views: 2090
Size:  177.6 KB

- Milan Fistonic for the entry list and handwritten results

Name:  Pukekohe 1966 #15 April 1966 Sports Car Race Entry list Milan Fistonic  (800x547).jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  152.4 KB
    Milan noted about the entry of Jim Boyd " You might have noticed in the entry list I posted that Jim Boyd is listed as driving the Lycoming (22) and a Cooper Climax (39) and both cars are shown on the grid. The reason apparently was that Jim sold the Cooper, just prior to the meeting, to Grant Bloore. "

The meeting was known for the Accidents and some of the first photos on this thread are of Ron Brown - before and after shots of his car and the accident in the Esses - between Rothmans and the Hairpin.

Some comments on the event ;

Glen Ducey wrote " Must have been a little daunting whistling down the back towards the 90deg Railway with no evidence of any form of escape road !

Bruce Blacklock wrote " With the co-operation of the owners of the land the fence was removed for the weekend and the ground graded to provide a run off area. "

Alan Boyle : about the track " It is interesting that that meeting was run as an experiment suggested by non other than the late Jim Clark. He was worried that in a tangle a car could be sent up the earth face of the banking and into the hill stand. i recall the out cry over the lack of a run off at Railway Corner, which was resolved for the day but there was no real concern about the right turn at the Elbow, where the racing club track railings were. "

Alan Boyle [ Ron Browns best Mate and Team Mate when they both ran Mini's ] " We were lucky that our great friend Ron didn't suffer severe injury or worse when he took out the steel hawser cable fence off the top of Rothmans hill. "

A photo from a Magazine about the incident [ posted before ]..

Name:  Pukekohe 1966 Ron Brown April 66 saloon rev direction meeting .jpg
Views: 1841
Size:  101.8 KB

Rons Car before -Ron getting in - or out ?

Name:  Mini Pukekohe April 1966 Ron Brown #1, CCI11102015_0001.jpg
Views: 2199
Size:  167.7 KB

and after - loading onto the trailer -

Name:  Mini Pukekohe April 1966 Ron Brown #3, CCI11102015_0002 (800x790) (2).jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  83.0 KB

The lady Anna Rowland with blond hair beside the car drivers door - worked with Ron at Dominion Motors in the 1960's and was a friend of Alan [ Boyle ] and Ron [ Brown ] for many years - Anna was my neighbour growing up in Herne Bay in the 1950's, Anna passed away a year or so ago. Her family and ours remained friends over all the years- I last saw Anna's Mother at my uncle Ed [ Eddie from NSCC 1919 - 2018 ] and Aunty' Una [ 1920 and still with us ] 60th Wedding Anniversary in 2002.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 07-04-2019 at 11:13 PM. Reason: more info #### 47