Thread: Motor Racing pics - my early years, 1964-71 ; Pukekohe Racetrack ;by - Roger Dowdingl

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pukekohe 1963 March - Ron Brown and his Morris Minor

Before the Mini, a Morris Minor.
    Ron Brown - an Auckland Car Club guy - later became Club President and was actively involved as Clerk of the Course at Pukekohe over the years 1970's
    This photo by Alan Boyle, Ron's best Mate, and a Mini racer of note - a couple " Tomato " and " Violet ", then later the Viva GT.

." George Johnson on the wheels, Ron Brown under the bonnet."

Name:  Pukekohe 1960 # Morris Minor Ron Brown George Johnson on wheels Ron under bonnet Alan Boyle .jpg
Views: 2307
Size:  85.5 KB

Comments from Kevin Lancaster, another ACC Guy, Alan and Ron.

Kevin
    " Looks like Bill Dunster's Austin Healey 3000 and Murray Cox Hillman No.67. I see Ron' s Minor has his three driver observation stripes to qualify for full racing license. I think you had to do three meetings without incident. "

Alan Boyle
    " Yes with a bit of advice from Eric Mallard and the close scrutiny of Les Rankin. "

Ron Brown
    " I think this was my first race meeting. I was greeted on the practice start line by C.O.C. Les 'friendly' Rankin with words to the effect of "Brownie, get your bloody helmet on!" Later went on to become his assistant, learning a lot before gaining full coc self accreditation. "

See details from Milan about the meeting.

Sadly Eric Mallard passed away in the last day or so - Stalwart of ACC and NZIGP Association - remember going to Ellerslie to get my Tickets for the GP at the Offices. Eric would be there.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-06-2020 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Date added. Eric Mallard