Thread: Motor Racing pics - my early years, 1964-71 ; Pukekohe Racetrack ;by - Roger Dowdingl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pukekohe - 1964 Two laps same race ! More info see next post.

Saloon car race the " Bigger Bangers " I think was usually 1600 and over class.

Two photos one seen before - of the same race - second one a few seconds or a is it a later lap field still very close
    First corner by the looks of the field -
    was John Hatton in this race ? in his Zephyr Mark One - if so April [ not December ] 1964 the Auckland Car Club Autumn meeting - the last of the season.
    Looks like him at the back and have the Programme for the meeting - posted here before - thanks to John H

Name:  Pukekohe 1964 #47 1964 Saloons at Elbow Coppins Souness Harvey Souness etc Garey Hanifin .jpg
Views: 836
Size:  103.8 KB

From a " 1972 " Magazine or Book by the way the Caption reads - gives you the drivers names. ** see correction next post

Name:  Pukekohe 1964 #48 1964 Saloons at Elbow Coppins Souness Harvey Souness etc Magazine D A Howell .jpg
Views: 795
Size:  136.1 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-03-2020 at 02:04 AM. Reason: more info #### 47

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post

Two photos one seen before - of the same race - second one a few seconds or a is it a later lap field still very close
    was John Hatton in this race ? in his Zephyr Mark One - if so December 1964 the Auckland Car Club meeting.
    Looks like him at the back and have the Programme for the meeting - posted here before - thanks to John H

Name:  Pukekohe 1964 #47 1964 Saloons at Elbow Coppins Souness Harvey Souness etc Garey Hanifin .jpg

From a " 1972 " Magazine or Book by the way the Caption reads - gives you the drivers names.

Name:  Pukekohe 1964 #48 1964 Saloons at Elbow Coppins Souness Harvey Souness etc Magazine D A Howell .jpg
    The Radisich Family - Chris Radisich believes the caption is partially incorrect - the Race appears to be the Autumn Meeting of Auckland car Club on 4th April 1964. Of which I have the Programme as given to me by John Hatton Car #143
    The White Zephyr #144 is Frank Radisich - from around the time he moved from a V8 Coupe. Bryan Innes is not in the Race.

Here is the entry list for the Race - Race #5 the copy cut off the numbers but first car in the list is George Bunce Chevrolet in #74 the rest are in numerical order from I W ' Red ' Dawson #139 then #141 Coppins #143 John Hatton - then Frank Radisich #144 and in order from #145 to #158 [ no #157 is missing [ apologies for the bad scanning - tried to do two pages at a time.

Name:  ACC Autumn Meeting 4 April 1964 #6 races 5 & 6 CCI31122015_0005 (750x422).jpg
Views: 846
Size:  111.7 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-03-2020 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Spelling ###47

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post

was John Hatton in this race ? in his Zephyr Mark One - if so April [ not December ] 1964 the Auckland Car Club Autumn meeting - the last of the season.

From a " 1972 " Magazine or Book by the way the Caption reads - gives you the drivers names. ** see correction next post

Hi Roger. You keep this site interesting. Yes thats me right at the back in my immaculate Mk1. Zephyr. For the next race at Ohakea I was testing it on the back roads of Maramarua and rammed another car fortunatly no injuries. Bought the wreck back from the insurance co and rebuilt it only to do the same again a year later. Bill Stone was a sales rep and racing a black Cooper at the time and would call in to see the rebuild at my workshop in Maramarua.. Ha all fond memories..