Thread: Motor Racing pics - my early years, 1964-71 ; Pukekohe Racetrack ;by - Roger Dowdingl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    [QUOTE=BMCBOY;49405]
    Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Roger,
    Sorry that I am arriving a bit late but here is some input from the 1965 Wills 6 hour race and the 3 hour Challenge race where the Fleetwood Motors Mustang first appeared driven by Ivan Segedin and Dennis Simmons.

Here's a photo taken by Peter Bruin of the start of the 3 hr Challenge.
    The Fleetwood Mustang nose up as usual and Bill Dunster driving the Healey 3000 that I have owned since 1973

Name:  Healey-at-Wills-Gold-leaf-C.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  181.4 KB

The fourth car in the line up is my Daimler SP250, which finished in third place overall heading the Mustang into fourth place. My partner driver was my friend the sadly now late Bill Kelly. Our participation was a shoestring affair and the SP250 served as daily personal, business and family transport and certainly did not arrive on a trailer. We won the 1,601 - 3,000 cc class.

I vividly recall my very amateur pit crew, brandishing a “slow down” signal with shaken fists during the final laps, with them having in mind the class win. However I was thinking about the the extra money for third place and pressed on accordingly and got past the Mustang. LOL

[QUOTE=Trevor Sheffield;49417]
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCBOY View Post

The fourth car in the line up is my Daimler SP250, which finished in third place overall heading the Mustang into fourth place. My partner driver was my friend the sadly now late Bill Kelly. Our participation was a shoestring affair and the SP250 served as daily personal, business and family transport and certainly did not arrive on a trailer. We won the 1,601 - 3,000 cc class.

I vividly recall my very amateur pit crew, brandishing a “slow down” signal with shaken fists during the final laps, with them having in mind the class win. However I was thinking about the the extra money for third place and pressed on accordingly and got past the Mustang. LOL
    Just re-reading your comment Trevor, the Bill Kelly, was that W R Kelly who owned the Service Station in Mt Albert,?? I used to go to him to get MANZ permits, for Gymkhana's and Trials in the mid / late 1970's for both Northern Sports Car Club and Austin Healey Club,
    at one stage they split the responsibility and Bill did Speed and another MANZ steward in Epsom did the Trials ones..
    cheers

Roger

Damn great photos, thank you for sharing guys

Bill Kellym RIP

[QUOTE=Roger Dowding;55646]
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post

Just re-reading your comment Trevor, the Bill Kelly, was that W R Kelly who owned the Service Station in Mt Albert,?? I used to go to him to get MANZ permits, for Gymkhana's and Trials in the mid / late 1970's for both Northern Sports Car Club and Austin Healey Club,
    at one stage they split the responsibility and Bill did Speed and another MANZ steward in Epsom did the Trials ones..
    cheers

Roger
    Bill Kelly was a long standing friend and I was always very much aware of his driving ability. After becoming married he was "confined" to trials and the like and did no actual racing. He kept his reaction times honed competing with slot cars and was a champion. Others within the sports car circle at the time, were rather skeptical of my choice of partner and I withheld a sly smile of wisdom. Bill devoted a great deal of time towards the sport at grass roots level but sadly is not all that well remembered. He held positions of impotence, was well versed in rules and regulations and contributed accordingly.

Kelly's Mount Albert Garage was of the old school and my son Paul started there as an apprentice. "Old Man" Kelly was a wise veteran. After his death John Kelly ran the workshop. Like Bill, John was far from being inclined to boast of his mechanical ability, but I had obserevd and was impressed. I did all my own detailed work but john rebuilt the Daimler SP250 engine which had no modifications, together with a 1275 CC cooper S engine. The latter was improved significantly and although John never claimed credentials as a racing mechanic, he was up with the play and his diligence was beyond doubt.

Salts of the earth, both of them and worthy of a few words in print. Sincerely, Trevor.

W J Bill Kelly ..

[QUOTE=Trevor Sheffield;55677]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post

Bill Kelly was a long standing friend and I was always very much aware of his driving ability. After becoming married he was "confined" to trials and the like and did no actual racing. He kept his reaction times honed competing with slot cars and was a champion. Others within the sports car circle at the time, were rather skeptical of my choice of partner and I withheld a sly smile of wisdom. Bill devoted a great deal of time towards the sport at grass roots level but sadly is not all that well remembered. He held positions of impotence, was well versed in rules and regulations and contributed accordingly.

Kelly's Mount Albert Garage was of the old school and my son Paul started there as an apprentice. "Old Man" Kelly was a wise veteran. After his death John Kelly ran the workshop. Like Bill, John was far from being inclined to boast of his mechanical ability, but I had obserevd and was impressed. I did all my own detailed work but john rebuilt the Daimler SP250 engine which had no modifications, together with a 1275 CC cooper S engine. The latter was improved significantly and although John never claimed credentials as a racing mechanic, he was up with the play and his diligence was beyond doubt.

Salts of the earth, both of them and worthy of a few words in print. Sincerely, Trevor.
    Trevor, thank you for your comments, and yes Bill was great to go to with my permits etc.. sometimes suggesting that we reduce the average speeds in some trials sections as he knew the entrants would drive faster anyway !! ..

cheers, Roger