Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
This photo features in Graham Vercoe's book p 17 as Mt Eden Hillclimb 1949, Ron Roycroft in the " works " Austin 7 R type " Rubber Duck " , midgets of Bill Massey and Des Herrick and Laurie Powell's Ford V8 Vercoe shows photo source as unknown, Does Bob know who took it !!
an example of a New Zealand " run what you brung " event allcomers welcome.

Going back through the thread Roger H thought is was 1948 and that Des Herrick won.

Roger H's post " I think the photo is the 1948 Mt Eden hill climb. The winning car was #66 (the second car back on the left). This was Des Herrick's midget powered by a Hudson Terraplane engine. The car had an interesting life and was converted to a circuit car in 1950, pranged in 1956 and rebuilt by Bruce McLaren (with Phil Kerr and Colin Beanland), was Chris Amon's first race car in 1959 and morphed over the years by a number of owners. It now appears as in Ray's Collection of Photos thread at post #676.:"
No I have no idea sorry Roger ,we always thought it was a NZ Weekly news photo or similar as Les had a huge collection of newspaper cluppings and photos from both here and Australia from that era and later ones ,if it made the papers you can bet he cut it out.I do know however there was a lot more stuff than I ended up with
,borrowed and never returned by someone !