Thread: Motor Racing pics - my early years, 1964-71 ; Pukekohe Racetrack ;by - Roger Dowdingl

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gold Leaf Three Hour Challenge Race - Mustang and Daimlers

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    I think that the photo depicts me driving the SP250 Daimler, when I was overtaking the Mustang which I finished ahead of. At that point the Oxton car had retired due to losing a wheel.
    Trevor thank you for that - was I thought you or David Oxton hard to read the numbers;
    I will pass that information on to Ian Tilley [ his photo ] and also to Peter Smith, Roger's Brother who has a dossier on Roger Smith's racing exploits.

This is the start with, I believe you, tucked in behind David Oxton and the Mustang in the centre - from the 1966 " Shell Book of New Zealand Motor Racing " by Peter Greenslade and Euan Sarginson [ Euan Sarginson photo ]

Name:  Fleetwood Mustang #055 Shell Book photo start 1965 Gold Leaf 2021_08_26_2197 (800x437) (3).jpg
Views: 672
Size:  137.0 KB

You with W " Bill " Kelly finished 3rd behind the Morris Cooper S's of Mullins / Neilson 1st and Hamlin / Charles 2nd, with then the Mustang, Segedin / Simmons 4th the Buchanan Austin Cooper S 5th and then Roger Smith and J Bowden in another Daimler SP 250 6th.
    Don't have the full results - only details from the book. Note ; " F Sheffield " when it should be T R Sheffield as in the entry list.

Name:  Trevor Sheffield #082 1966 Shell Book 1965 Gold Leaf Wills results crop resize P2-3 2021_08_26_2.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  130.9 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 06-28-2022 at 11:54 PM.