Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor Racing pics - my early years, 1964-71 ; Pukekohe Racetrack ;by - Roger Dowdingl

Damn great photos, thank you for sharing guys

More Random Pukekohe photos..

Photos from Chris Burles [ first 3 ** ] and Kevin Gerbic
    ** The photos of the Zephyr Corvette and the group of cars, photos 1** 2 and 3 are from Jack Inwood " MR PIX " archives and Nigel Watts has copies of both photo's 2 and 3 as well as others that he bought from Jack Inwood back in 1967 - see comment on Nigel's thread " Images From My Past - Nigel Watts Collection "
    ** Correction The Zephyr Corvette being hounded by the Mini - first pic - Terry Marshall advises that it is his photo .. Chris Burles was the one who posted so attributed to his archives - in error
    Name:  Pukekohe 1965 elbow Zephyr Corvette & Mini Chris Burles.jpg
Views: 2439
Size:  92.0 KB

This is not Pukekohe, the Zephyr has sprouted pipes, still in Team Molyslip colours ..
    Name:  Zephyr Corvette - Chris Burles pic.jpg
Views: 2531
Size:  115.4 KB

Name:  Custaxie Mustang Anglias 1967 .. Chris Burles.jpg
Views: 2451
Size:  75.8 KB

can anyone identify the Chev's . at the Elbow .. ?? one looks like it took to the haybales ..
    Name:  MR pix 1939 Chev's Pukekohe Kevin Gerbic pic.jpg
Views: 2371
Size:  84.4 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 03-14-2019 at 03:20 AM. Reason: more info T Marshall and N Watts ###47

Bill Kellym RIP

[QUOTE=Roger Dowding;55646]
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post

Just re-reading your comment Trevor, the Bill Kelly, was that W R Kelly who owned the Service Station in Mt Albert,?? I used to go to him to get MANZ permits, for Gymkhana's and Trials in the mid / late 1970's for both Northern Sports Car Club and Austin Healey Club,
    at one stage they split the responsibility and Bill did Speed and another MANZ steward in Epsom did the Trials ones..
    cheers

Roger
    Bill Kelly was a long standing friend and I was always very much aware of his driving ability. After becoming married he was "confined" to trials and the like and did no actual racing. He kept his reaction times honed competing with slot cars and was a champion. Others within the sports car circle at the time, were rather skeptical of my choice of partner and I withheld a sly smile of wisdom. Bill devoted a great deal of time towards the sport at grass roots level but sadly is not all that well remembered. He held positions of impotence, was well versed in rules and regulations and contributed accordingly.

Kelly's Mount Albert Garage was of the old school and my son Paul started there as an apprentice. "Old Man" Kelly was a wise veteran. After his death John Kelly ran the workshop. Like Bill, John was far from being inclined to boast of his mechanical ability, but I had obserevd and was impressed. I did all my own detailed work but john rebuilt the Daimler SP250 engine which had no modifications, together with a 1275 CC cooper S engine. The latter was improved significantly and although John never claimed credentials as a racing mechanic, he was up with the play and his diligence was beyond doubt.

Salts of the earth, both of them and worthy of a few words in print. Sincerely, Trevor.

W J Bill Kelly ..

[QUOTE=Trevor Sheffield;55677]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post

Bill Kelly was a long standing friend and I was always very much aware of his driving ability. After becoming married he was "confined" to trials and the like and did no actual racing. He kept his reaction times honed competing with slot cars and was a champion. Others within the sports car circle at the time, were rather skeptical of my choice of partner and I withheld a sly smile of wisdom. Bill devoted a great deal of time towards the sport at grass roots level but sadly is not all that well remembered. He held positions of impotence, was well versed in rules and regulations and contributed accordingly.

Kelly's Mount Albert Garage was of the old school and my son Paul started there as an apprentice. "Old Man" Kelly was a wise veteran. After his death John Kelly ran the workshop. Like Bill, John was far from being inclined to boast of his mechanical ability, but I had obserevd and was impressed. I did all my own detailed work but john rebuilt the Daimler SP250 engine which had no modifications, together with a 1275 CC cooper S engine. The latter was improved significantly and although John never claimed credentials as a racing mechanic, he was up with the play and his diligence was beyond doubt.

Salts of the earth, both of them and worthy of a few words in print. Sincerely, Trevor.
    Trevor, thank you for your comments, and yes Bill was great to go to with my permits etc.. sometimes suggesting that we reduce the average speeds in some trials sections as he knew the entrants would drive faster anyway !! ..

cheers, Roger

Journeyman Racer
    The Allcomers field heading for the grid

Attachment 30946

Johnny Riley heading for the grid
    Attachment 30947

Humber Jaguar T Boyle
    Attachment 30948

Zephyr Corvette K [ Ken ] Bailey
    Attachment 30949

The Morrari,
    Attachment 30950

Attachment 30951

Thanks to Milan for the race list from the programme - helped with some driver details.
    Great pictures of the Morrari thanks!

Roger the 'mate' is Glen "Jigger" Jones

At Pukekohe .. borrowed pic, just hold the cursor over it !!
    early as running those Borrani Wire Wheels ..
    Attachment 38646

another borrowed picture ..
    Zephyr Corvette, when Rod Coppins had it ..
    Attachment 38647
    A mate Rod and wife to be beside the car
    Kevin Hirst, any other pics of the Vanguard ... " Guardsvan " ??, would make a good story - part of the cars owned thread perhaps !!

Semi-Pro Racer

Chevs at the Elbow

can anyone identify the Chev's . at the Elbow .. ?? one looks like it took to the haybales ..
Size:  84.4 KB[/QUOTE]

Found this picture in an old Motorman mag(June 1963). Looks like the same incident from the other side of the track. Car 70 is Frank Stephen, and the program identifies car 72 as Trevor Horncy. Stephen must have got going again quickly to finish a few places behind Stephen. A few other more familiar names were racing Ford or Chevy V8's around this time - Jack Nazer, Gary Pedersen(with "rookie" stripes which was the fashion at the time) Harvey and Souness. Which of the 3 damp spectators took the above photo?

Stu
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
Size:  84.4 KB
    Found this picture in an old Motorman mag(June 1963). Looks like the same incident from the other side of the track. Car 70 is Frank Stephen, and the program identifies car 72 as Trevor Horncy. Stephen must have got going again quickly to finish a few places behind Stephen. A few other more familiar names were racing Ford or Chevy V8's around this time - Jack Nazer, Gary Pedersen(with "rookie" stripes which was the fashion at the time) Harvey and Souness. Which of the 3 damp spectators took the above photo?

Stu[/QUOTE]

Stu, thanks, I knew a Frank Stephen or Stephens, ran a garage / workshop in Newton and a Few Chev Coupes would be there Glen Jones was working there too 1968-70 ish. Frank known as Sonny later got out of the Automotive field and ran the Potters Wheel Tavern in New Lynn, for the Waitakere licensing trust, a bit away from racing cars ..

Corection of date of the B and H race colour photos, 1965 not '64

Steve, yes there are about 70 - 100 or so, some that I had found earlier, have been going through them as the print numbers on the back are helping me group them together.
    There will be some duplication as have posted some before but this time trying to get them in a Timeline ;
    from 1965 through the 70's.
    the 1965 shots are colour from the Benson and Hedges, they need some work as have stuck together and need to be gently cleaned, so have started with the B & W's from April '66
    corrected the year 1965 B and H

A repost of an early photo

Reposting these photo as are a couple favourites and to bring the thread to the front page.
    A couple of Trailer Queens,No !!!

Name:  Pukekohe April 1966 Mustang Ivan Segedin -stack pipes CCI12102015_0001.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  173.2 KB

Name:  Pukekohe Jan 1968  GP #6 Ford Galaxie Robbie Francevic v2, CCI15102015_0003 (2).jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  160.4 KB

and Yes I know it is a Fairlane not a Galaxie, but did have the 7 litre that was available in both series of the Fords..

Milan thanks for the entry lists, once again, helps with the details.
    Have a photo of the Jim Boyd Volvo a P1800 sports coupe, will post that in the next group of photos.
    here is that photo ;
    Attachment 30967

Heron Daimler - built by Ross Baker and Ken Richardson according to Graham Vercoe's book.
    unsure what meeting this was but would be 1966 or 1967. The Daimler 2.5 V8 with stack exhausts.
    Attachment 30968

Some interesting cars in the paddock area.

Rob Williams Ford V8 coupe, at Pukekohe in 1968, which he still runs
    Attachment 30969

Attachment 30970

a Custom Anglia
    Attachment 30971
    The Heron Daimler has come up on Swannie's Thread .. here is the photo again ..

Benson and Hedges races 1968 the entrants

Posted by Graham Woods on Fb " Old New Zealand Motor Racing " page - extracts from the 1968 B and H meeting, the entrants to the big race and also the Group 5, small saloons.

The B and H race - large capacity classes 1601 and up
    Name:  Programme Pukekohe Oct 1968 Benson and Hedges Race large class  (2) (460x640).jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  139.8 KB

The up to 1600 classes
    Name:  Programme Pukekohe Oct 1968 Benson and Hedges Race small class (3) (479x640).jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  148.9 KB

Group 5 support race
    Name:  Programme Pukekohe Oct 1968 Benson and Hedges support Race.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  145.9 KB

Would have been there !! gave the programme away in 2008 .. damnit !! or is that dam nit !!

Cooper S is interesting- they were 970, 1070, 1275.
    Here two are 970 rest 998, 999

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    John, they used to take the 970's out to 999 for Formula Junior, now doubt a few boys had oversize pistons, and it is Group 5.
    997 and 998 were Cooper [not S ] engines, the early long stroke 997 [ narrow bore ] and the more square 998 followed it

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    1070 is actually 1071

World Champion
    John are you suggesting that some of those Mini owners were not being honest at keeping their engines under 1000 cc ?
    That would have kept the scrutineers busy !
    Roger, I was there that day also. (Remember that tall handsome guy with a babe on each arm. That was not me. )
    It was a great line-up of present and future stars. Some of those lads would have been busy competing in both races.
    I remember Bryan Innes and Dennis Marwood testing their Datsun 1600s before the big race in 1968 at night around the roads at Tatuanui and Ngarua while we were trying to practice for our next rugby game and our coach getting so annoyed when we all stopped and went to the fence to watch Dennis and Bryan go by. We could hear them coming from a mile away.
    (Another fond memory.)

Ken H.

Nope, I was just commenting on that there were-
    10 Mini Cooper S cars -under 1 litre
    4 Mini Cooper cars -under 1 litre
    Sales of the Mini Cooper were as follows: 64,000 Mark I Coopers with 997 cc or 998 cc engines; 19,000 Mark I Cooper S with 970 cc, 1,071 cc or 1,275 cc engines; 16,000 Mark II Coopers with 998 cc engines; 6,300 Mark II Cooper S with 1,275 cc engines. There were no Mark III Coopers and just 1,570 Mark III Cooper S.-Wikkipedia

Pukekohe - various photos -

A couple of Pukekohe photos
    first from Bob Homewood - March 1973 meeting, there was a question,who are they ??

Name:  Pukekohe Mar 1973 single seaters field - Bob Homewood .jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  24.7 KB

and another Mustang - Red Dawson over Rothmans nose up - 1968-69 photo Jack Inwood taken from Old New Zealand Motor Racing Facebook page - post by Gerard Richards ..

Name:  Pukekohe 68-69 Red Dawson over Rothmans Jack Inwood.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  64.9 KB

Heron Daimler

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    The Heron Daimler was number 16 at the April 23 1966 meeting and was driven by Ken Richardson
    That was the reverse direction meeting not May '66 as on the photo.. some of my names / dates / details on the photos are now incorrect.

Name:  Pukekohe May 1966 #24 Heron Daimler v2, CCI14102015_0001 (2).jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  152.3 KB

and was this the same car the Heron MK 11 at Waimate in 1966..driven by K Richardson ??

Name:  Motor Racing Waimate # 1966 NZ Specials by class by CC G Woods.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  105.9 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 10-10-2017 at 06:13 AM.

1963 Wills Six Hour race - an unusual entrant - Mercedes Benz 220

1963 the first running of the long distance saloon car race at Pukekohe - the year the track hosted the first NZ International Grand Prix.

The Car -race # 6, they used the system used by Le Mans back then with Race numbers starting with the largest capacity cars. The Jaguars
    Photo from Brian Ferrabee - who has provide the photo and entry list to the son of the Driver Bill Thomason.
    The co-driver Johnny Riley.
    The car was the most expensive in the field

Name:  Pukekohe 1963 #2 Mercedes Benz Wills Six Hour Brian Ferrabee.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  71.0 KB
    One of the Triumph Vitesse further back in the Esses

The entry list ; from Brian Ferrabee

Name:  Pukekohe 1963 #1 Wills Six Hour 1963 Brian Ferrabee.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  137.6 KB

The car also competed the the long distance 5 hour race [ not six hours ] at Teretonga
    entry list by Graham Woods;
    Name:  Pukekohe 1963 #3 Timaru Mercedes Benz entry Graham Wood.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  97.5 KB

Hopefully the results are out there with a TRS member !!
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 12-03-2017 at 04:58 AM.