Thread: Wills 6 hr 1963

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    Keith,
    Did it have a foreign license plate at the 1963 Wills race ?.
    You mentioned the Roycroft family, Ross Jensen Motors, Feo Stanton and Graham Pierce. Wow !
    This car could have a great history and it is just waiting for you to restore it.
    Keep us updated.

(Ken Hyndman )

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Keith,
    Did it have a foreign license plate at the 1963 Wills race ?.
    You mentioned the Roycroft family, Ross Jensen Motors, Feo Stanton and Graham Pierce. Wow !
    This car could have a great history and it is just waiting for you to restore it.
    Keep us updated.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Ken, the number plate would be the last of the two year issue plates, that were put on the first year then a sticker issued for the second [ subsequent ] year of Registration, then you got new and different coloured plates, think the last series before the aluminium black with the silver numbers, paint buffed off permanent plates, were yellow with black numbers.
    I think permanent plates started in 1965, [ don't quote me on this !! ] as my dad's Zephyr 6 had the two year thin metal plates when purchased new in 1963

was almost right plates were issued yearly from 1925 then 5 yearly in 1941 because of shortage of steel, then in 1963 back to annually with permanent plates starting in 1964.
    the Annual licensing process was started in 1963 and finished in 1965
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-17-2015 at 12:48 AM. Reason: correction - info from LTNZ site

Ken,
    The plates in the Puke photo are the black&yellow NZ plates
    The Bring a trailer auction team in the US bought one of these cars on e bay recently $19000! and are rebuilding it for classic events
    2 litre motor, 5 speed box, LSD,disc brakes (don't know why,the original finned drums do the job) plus some panel work.
    My other TI (pale blue) which has been on the track at HD, Taupo and the Chelsea hillclimb is a heap of fun with only minor mods,long distance trips are no problem either, just been to Mt Cook with the Alfa Club .

Quote Originally Posted by Sailone View Post
    Ken,
    The plates in the Puke photo are the black&yellow NZ plates
    The Bring a trailer auction team in the US bought one of these cars on e bay recently $19000! and are rebuilding it for classic events
    2 litre motor, 5 speed box, LSD,disc brakes (don't know why,the original finned drums do the job) plus some panel work.
    My other TI (pale blue) which has been on the track at HD, Taupo and the Chelsea hillclimb is a heap of fun with only minor mods,long distance trips are no problem either, just been to Mt Cook with the Alfa Club .
    I will have a serious talk to you re this Keith....so you stay on the right trail..LOL

There is a early Sprint in Whanganui which the guy bought off TM some time back with a 2 litre in it plus cage etc. Was a good project and I think from memory the price was $15K.

Cheers
    Bruce