Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wills 6 hr 1963

Wills 6 hr 1963

Hi All,
    I'm trying to find more info on this race.I own a 1962 Alfa Romeo Giulietta which competed in this race.It was owned by A J Roycroft, but I don't know who drove it, where it finished,it would have been outclassed, being superseded by the new Giulia saloons. Has anyone got copies of the entry list, program, results, photo's etc. The photo is on the grid.
    Thanks, KeithName:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  175.8 KB
    Last edited by Sailone; 10-28-2015 at 05:55 AM.

Hello Keith,
    I am sure someone can help you with this. Bill Ritchie also owns a Wills Giulia Saloon as well from 1966.
    Cheers,
    Bruce D

This is the entry list for the 1963 Wills Six-Hour Race. The Peugeot 403 numbered 14 in your photo is on the list but just the one Alfa.

Name:  63 Wills Entry.JPG
Views: 1167
Size:  117.7 KB

Thanks for taking the time to post this Milan, you are awesome!

Keith, do you have any pics of your Alfa as it looks today?

The Alfa finished ninth having completed 158 laps and was seven laps ahead of the second 1001-1300cc car to finish. That was the Histed/McLean VW. The winning Jaguar covered 172 laps.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  139.6 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  134.5 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  177.5 KB
    Thanks Milan for the information, there is a lot of well known drivers in the entry, and the prices are interesting. Here is the car now after a long spell in a damp shed. It needs some work on the doors, A pillar and the chassis rail. It *might* become a vintage racer.
    Keith

Fantastic Keith. Put a half cage in it and come and join us in HSC. It would be another Historic Car it join our grid.
    Cheers, Bruce

Graham Pierce as driver, if that is the famous Graham from Bay Park then more history to the car.

Wow, thats a fantastic looking car!

World Champion
    Keith,
    Did it have a foreign license plate at the 1963 Wills race ?.
    You mentioned the Roycroft family, Ross Jensen Motors, Feo Stanton and Graham Pierce. Wow !
    This car could have a great history and it is just waiting for you to restore it.
    Keep us updated.

(Ken Hyndman )

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Keith,
    Did it have a foreign license plate at the 1963 Wills race ?.
    You mentioned the Roycroft family, Ross Jensen Motors, Feo Stanton and Graham Pierce. Wow !
    This car could have a great history and it is just waiting for you to restore it.
    Keep us updated.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Ken, the number plate would be the last of the two year issue plates, that were put on the first year then a sticker issued for the second [ subsequent ] year of Registration, then you got new and different coloured plates, think the last series before the aluminium black with the silver numbers, paint buffed off permanent plates, were yellow with black numbers.
    I think permanent plates started in 1965, [ don't quote me on this !! ] as my dad's Zephyr 6 had the two year thin metal plates when purchased new in 1963

was almost right plates were issued yearly from 1925 then 5 yearly in 1941 because of shortage of steel, then in 1963 back to annually with permanent plates starting in 1964.
    the Annual licensing process was started in 1963 and finished in 1965
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-17-2015 at 12:48 AM. Reason: correction - info from LTNZ site

Ken,
    The plates in the Puke photo are the black&yellow NZ plates
    The Bring a trailer auction team in the US bought one of these cars on e bay recently $19000! and are rebuilding it for classic events
    2 litre motor, 5 speed box, LSD,disc brakes (don't know why,the original finned drums do the job) plus some panel work.
    My other TI (pale blue) which has been on the track at HD, Taupo and the Chelsea hillclimb is a heap of fun with only minor mods,long distance trips are no problem either, just been to Mt Cook with the Alfa Club .

Rod,
    Tell us more about Graham Pierce,is he and Feo Stanton still around?
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Sailone View Post
    Ken,
    The plates in the Puke photo are the black&yellow NZ plates
    The Bring a trailer auction team in the US bought one of these cars on e bay recently $19000! and are rebuilding it for classic events
    2 litre motor, 5 speed box, LSD,disc brakes (don't know why,the original finned drums do the job) plus some panel work.
    My other TI (pale blue) which has been on the track at HD, Taupo and the Chelsea hillclimb is a heap of fun with only minor mods,long distance trips are no problem either, just been to Mt Cook with the Alfa Club .
    I will have a serious talk to you re this Keith....so you stay on the right trail..LOL

There is a early Sprint in Whanganui which the guy bought off TM some time back with a 2 litre in it plus cage etc. Was a good project and I think from memory the price was $15K.

Cheers
    Bruce

World Champion
    I was recently looking up some info on Pukekohe and came across these great shots from the 1963 Wills 6 hour race.
    Hope it is ok to share these from the "Hawkes Bay Photo News."
    "Sailone" if you look closely you will see a slight view of the Alfa behind the Mini at the finish.
    Name:  1963 Wills Race. Pukekohe. # 1.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  179.1 KB

Name:  1963 Wills Race. Pukekohe. 1963.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  176.3 KB

Name:  1963 Wills 6 hour race. Pukekohe.# 4.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  100.8 KB

Name:  1963 Wills 6 hour race. Pukekohe.The end..jpg
Views: 834
Size:  130.0 KB

(Ken Hyndman ..inputs)

World Champion
    p.s. Is the Jack Richards in the Jaguar 3.8 related to Jim Richards ?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Don't think so. John Richards was a leading light in the formation of the Pukekohe Car Club in the early 1960's, and raced or hill-climbed a Daimler SP 250. He was of somewhat more solid build than Jim, whose origins were in Weymouth, near Manurewa.

Stu

Weekend Warrior
    The Triumph Vitesse car no 8 driven by Dick Izard,this is Richard Izard the man who invested recently at Taupo Motorsport Park which is now Bruce McLaren Motorsport Park. Back in the late 60,s and 70,s he had a successful Triumph and Rover franchise in Te Awamutu.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    I was recently looking up some info on Pukekohe and came across these great shots from the 1963 Wills 6 hour race.
    Hope it is ok to share these from the "Hawkes Bay Photo News."
    "Sailone" if you look closely you will see a slight view of the Alfa behind the Mini at the finish.
    Name:  1963 Wills Race. Pukekohe. # 1.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  179.1 KB

Name:  1963 Wills Race. Pukekohe. 1963.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  176.3 KB

Name:  1963 Wills 6 hour race. Pukekohe.# 4.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  100.8 KB

Name:  1963 Wills 6 hour race. Pukekohe.The end..jpg
Views: 834
Size:  130.0 KB

(Ken Hyndman ..inputs)
    Ken, H those shots are great .. cheers

Ken , thank you , these are so cool to see for the era , 54 year ago if my maths correct , photo of Ray Archibald , my father had a lot of respect for him , also Ray had the Chistchurch Jag agency , some how he got it for Ernnie for the s/cant .... they raced hard but were good friends