Thread: Power Without Glory:Racing the Big-Twin Cooper just published

Power Without Glory:Racing the Big-Twin Cooper just published

From TNF
    “Power Without Glory: Racing the Big-Twin Cooper” by Terry Wright sounds like an interesting tome with some splendid photos. Priced at £55 plus postage and packing. 352 pages, 300 images, 25.4 x 20.3 cms. See www.loosefillings.com

This is primarily a history of the early years of the V-twin JAP and Vincent engined Coopers, post-war up to 1950, but I would not like it to be thought of as a 'tome' or just about Coopers.

The blurb says it revisits the origins of the modern racing car, tracing a pedigree back to the first singe-seat, mid-engined dirt track cars in California before WW1, the cyclecar-based hillclimb cars of Europe and the interwar record breaking motorcycles of Britain. It shows how these influenced the first Coopers and how they went on to win the Formula 1 drivers' and constructors' world titles in 1959 and 1960. Just how bold a claim this is I am happy to discuss and to post more pictures here.

The book can be bought on line and shipped from the UK at the url above. Simon Lewis Transport Books and Auto-books can also supply it and I will have a few in Sydney this week but for collection only. Cover photo is Ken Wharton, Shelsley Wash, June1950, Courtesy Stilltime Collection.

Name:  1-1-HB_Jacket_.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  134.6 KB
    Last edited by tsrwright; 11-01-2015 at 12:56 PM.