Thread: XUI Torana Race Cars in NZ

XUI Torana Race Cars in NZ

Im after some information from the 70's as to wether any of the little XUI's that raced in NZ used a "Duggan" aftermarket Cylinder head? or any other aftermarket Cylinder Head for that matter? Can anyone help with Info on the "Duggan" head? Myles, sure you can be of some help here??

Dale Mathers

Dale, did Yella Terra do a special head for XU1s, seems to ring a bell with one that Noel Goodwin was playing with back then. Not sure but name rings right.

Mr Goodwin will know.

Dale, Bob Homewood raced an XU1 during the '70s and would probably be of help with this. He usually isn't too far away.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Frank Duggan made an angled inlet 12 port head very similar to the Irving alloy head.
    The Irving and early Duggan ones are sought after and few and far between.
    I think Duggan sold the rights and they are maybe still made under j.ZED branding.
    Yella Terra also did some for the red motor.

Irving Head

Duggan version for sale here..
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DUGGAN-He...-/300572275660
    Last edited by Ellis; 07-10-2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: For sale info added

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Dale, Bob Homewood raced an XU1 during the '70s and would probably be of help with this. He usually isn't too far away.
    For all the early long distance production races and the GTX series we had to run the factory cylinder heads with the correct factory part numberrs and they were all supposed to be exactly as the GM bulletins said with no modications unless the bulletin allowed it I did have a copy of all those old bulletins but somedody borrowed and has not returned it,however there must br other copies out there I can't answer the question as to what anyone used later in say the modified 0-4200 class etc ,but that is a different matter

I think the reason Dale has asked about the Duggan and other cylinder heads is that the rules for the new New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars class allow for certain 'period' engine modifications and equipment, so he is trying to find out what aftermarket heads were used on the XU1 during the '70s in NZ. Is this right Dale?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    Frank Duggan made an angled inlet 12 port head very similar to the Irving alloy head.
    The Irving and early Duggan ones are sought after and few and far between.
    I think Duggan sold the rights and they are maybe still made under j.ZED branding.
    Yella Terra also did some for the red motor.

Irving Head

Duggan version for sale here..
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DUGGAN-He...-/300572275660
    Hey Ellis, thats a rocket fast response there mate! The knowledge amongst the members within this forum amazes me.

Sorry, I meant Bob. Total mental block on name (I know Noel can not )
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Mr Goodwin will know.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I think the reason Dale has asked about the Duggan and other cylinder heads is that the rules for the new New Zealand Historic Muscle Cars class allow for certain 'period' engine modifications and equipment, so he is trying to find out what aftermarket heads were used on the XU1 during the '70s in NZ. Is this right Dale?
    Yes, correct Steve, i know lots of XUI Toranas were raced in NZ but would like to know from any forum member what Engine components/modifications where avalable before Dec 1977.

Dale Mathers

Semi-Pro Racer
    Kiwiboss,Frank Duggan owned professional balancing shop ,tailshafts etc,he also had a 'Dyno',the type with the 'string', this where 'Pat the Purcell' used to test the Bob Jane Race engines,we had the 'Fire' one day.that was interesting,trying to work-out what to turn off first!!,,,Frank,himself was a bit of the 'Giro Gearlose' type, (some countries they lock'em up)......Frank was alway testing, redesigning, testing......"Mmmmm,perhaps that might work???"...type of guy ...his son now runs the shop, these days, if you wish, I shall get the number for you, so you can make contact......real nice people!!.............regards thunder427/MJ

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    Kiwiboss,Frank Duggan owned professional balancing shop ,tailshafts etc,he also had a 'Dyno',the type with the 'string', this where 'Pat the Purcell' used to test the Bob Jane Race engines,we had the 'Fire' one day.that was interesting,trying to work-out what to turn off first!!,,,Frank,himself was a bit of the 'Giro Gearlose' type, (some countries they lock'em up)......Frank was alway testing, redesigning, testing......"Mmmmm,perhaps that might work???"...type of guy ...his son now runs the shop, these days, if you wish, I shall get the number for you, so you can make contact......real nice people!!.............regards thunder427/MJ
    Thanks for the PH call today Myles, will give Shane Duggan a call tomorrow!! Otherwise, see you Eastern Creek in September

Dale Mathers

Weekend Warrior
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1981[/ATTACH

Pic of the Duggan head on my lc torana racecar . Probably of mid 70's vintage they had not been produced for a long time . A Sydney real estate agent named Joe Zullo bought the original duggan moulds and has started producing them again under the brand name of * J Z * heads . l've had my old Duggan on the bench next to a JZ head and they look identical appart from the rocker cover logo .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is Anton Steven's very quick Torana XUI, fitted with a Duggan Cylinder Head, raced against Anton at Timaru, Ruapuna, Manfeild, he keeps me honest!!

Dale Mathers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Weekend Warrior
    l managed to beat Anton in the rain at Levels at the festival of speed back in february , one of the most satisfying bits of motor racing l've had for many years to say the least ! .

Quote Originally Posted by xu1nut View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1981[/ATTACH

Pic of the Duggan head on my lc torana racecar . Probably of mid 70's vintage they had not been produced for a long time . A Sydney real estate agent named Joe Zullo bought the original duggan moulds and has started producing them again under the brand name of * J Z * heads . l've had my old Duggan on the bench next to a JZ head and they look identical appart from the rocker cover logo .
    Damn! Thats a nice looking engine bay.

Anton is going to race with us in the new "Historic Muscle Car" class at Hampton Downs next January. E-mail me your details of the Torana, dmathers@xtra.co.nz you may qualify if you want to make the trip!!!

Dale Mathers

Antons car is one very well balanced package and to beat it in the rain is commendable for sure and I can understand your feeling as this has to be one of the best if not thee best in its class.

I know where Dale is coming from as I have seen his car and driving and he is no slouch, so for a nicely packaged V8 racecar with from memory around 560+hp to be beaten by a 3.3litre Torana which has all the upholstery in it then it says something.

There is a youtube video of the 2 of you at Manfield and you both carved the field up
    Note 2 laps were under yellow.

Weekend Warrior
    It had started to rain as we were lining up on the dummy grid and most of the cars in the race had slicks on ( l had kumho V700's ) . l was 10th and Anton was 2nd on the grid . l managed to pass 5 cars by the 1st corner so l was up to 5th , then a porsche slid off and l was behind an M3 beemer which l passed on the 2nd lap and l was up to 3rd behind Anton . l was pushing him the whole time , could have had a go at passing him down the end of the back straight several times but l thought it wasn't worth the risk. All the time l was thinking that if l was ever going to beat him then today was the day !!!! . Then on the last lap he fed the power in a little too early comming out of the sweeper on to the back straight and l was through . Anton is always MILES in front of me in the dry , so perhaps you can understand why l say it was the most satisfying bit of racing that l had had for many years indeed to say the least .