Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Engine, single seat race cars.

Front Engine, single seat race cars.

It is time there were more threads on the single seat race cars. To start the ball rolling I bring you photos of one of the least successful race cars to line up on an F1 grid, but a make of car that still holds some magic, and interest 50+ years later.
    The Scarab was well known in USA sports car racing with much success, in 1958 the owner Lance Reventlow decided to build an F1 car to take on the Europeans with an 'all American' car. The design and build period was too lengthy, problems getting the engine to run properly and produce enough power meant that it was 1960 before the car was to make its debut at the Monaco GP. The hype out of the USA had made the European teams wary that they were going to be faced with a strong competitor, however all hopes the Scarab team had turned to custard at the first practice session, with times that would have barely scraped them onto the FJ grid. In the end the the Scarab team turned up at three European races, and competed in two, and had one car at the final race of the 2.5 litre Formula, the USA Grand Prix. In 1961 one car was fitted with the Offenhauser engine that had been used for testing the car before their engine was ready, and driven in some of the British Intercontinental races before a big crash at Silverstone destroyed chassis #2 and injured driver Chuck Daigh.
    If you want to read the full history of the Scarab cars I can recomend the book "Scarab" by Preston Lerner.

I have seen two Scarab single seaters, both from 1960, the #3 chassis that was never fitted with an engine. It was built and sent over for the 1960 Dutch GP without an engine, as the engine wasn't ready. It has been on display in the Donington Museum since it opened, not sure if it still there as a lot of cars have been sold recently.

The second Scarab I have seen and photographed is the now Don Orosco owned chassis #1 (or its clone) that is fitted with an Offenhauser engine, as used for testing in early 1960, and in the 1961 Intercontinental races. All these photo were taken at the Goodwood FOS in 1996.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Just the place to put a few older pics mainly from Longford Tas....
    Pics courtesy of the Walkem family.

Stan Jones Maserati 250F , Arnold Glass Maserati ...1959 Longford

Stan Jones 1959 Longford

Stan Jones Maserati Longford 1958

Stan Jones Maserati Longford 1958

#4 Doug Whiteford Maserati 300 S, #2 Arnold Glass Ferrari Super Squalo Longford 1958
    Last edited by Ellis; 07-11-2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Captions corrected info courtesy David McK

Semi-Pro Racer
    A few more Walkem family pics.....

Arnold Glass Maserati Longford Pits 1959

Don Elliot Baskerville cc 1959 ....Holden Grey Engine

Next pics are courtesy B Dunstan Tas....

A Glass Maserati ..Railway Crossing Tannery Straight Longford 1959

Stan Jones Maserati...Tannery Cnr Longford..1959
    Last edited by Ellis; 07-11-2011 at 12:22 AM. Reason: captions

Journeyman Racer
    Great photos, thanks

Semi-Pro Racer
    Thanks Ellis

Your two "Arnold Glass Supersqualo" pictures are actually the Jones 250F. The car between seems to be an FJ Lola

The Glass Supersqualo does appear in the last of your first Walkem set, alongside Doug Whiteford's 300S

Nice photos though

The Southward Maserati 250F, often referred to as the Amon Maserati, but as Southwards have owned it for 48 years..............
    Originally built for the Owen Organisation to race while their new 4 cylinder 2.5 BRM was being built this is another car that had a chassis swap. The BRM team borrowed the Bira car and crashed it slightly, rebuilding the Bira car with their chassis before returning it to Bira.
    The car was raced by the Owen Org. drivers, at least Wharton, Collins,and Hawthorn. Sold to Jack Brabham and then to Gavin Quirk in NZ. It then went to Len Gilbert and on to Chris Amon and then Southward.The Dunlop wheels and disc brakes were fitted by the Owen Org. The bodywork was modified by Gavin Quirk, and against a Dunedin teleprah pole by Amon. Rebuilt again by Southwards in the last couple of years and a star attraction at the recent Amon festival.

Ardmore photos:
    Peter Whitehead - Ferrari s/c

Stirling Moss - Maserati 250F followed by Frank Kleinig in the Australian Hamilton owned Porsche RS 550 (Moss raced the Porsche in the sports car race while Kleinig raced it in the GP)

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    Originally built for the Owen Organisation to race while their new 4 cylinder 2.5 BRM was being built this is another car that had a chassis swap. The BRM team borrowed the Bira car and crashed it slightly, rebuilding the Bira car with their chassis before returning it to Bira
    Not quite, PM

Bira's 250F was crashed by a BRM driver, so the Owen Organisation gave Bira theirs, complete with his chassis number, then repaired his, with their own chassis number

To put it another way, the Amon/Southward car started as Bira's (2504) and was then taken over by the Owen Organisation (as 2509)

The car Bira won the 1955 NZ GP with, and which Ross Jensen later raced with the Piccolo body, had started out as the Owen car (2509) before being swapped and renumbered 2504 during 1954

No-one ever said sorting out 250Fs was easy!

Semi-Pro Racer
    [QUOTE=David McKinney;2415]Thanks Ellis

Your two "Arnold Glass Supersqualo" pictures are actually the Jones 250F. The car between seems to be an FJ Lola

The Glass Supersqualo does appear in the last of your first Walkem set, alongside Doug Whiteford's 300S

David
    Thanks for info
    I sent you a PM with my email address
    Can you check that the captions are now correct
    My refernce book on old Longford has an incorrectly captioned Pic.
    Ellis
    Last edited by Ellis; 07-11-2011 at 07:56 AM.

Gavin, what a great thread! Good work. Am really enjoying the posts and pics. Ellis and Roger, amazing photos guys!

Beautiful photos of the Scarab, just great. Mind you they are all great photos, this site is sure getting the dust of some real history, just awesome. Bet the Scarab sounded great.

Theres an old saying that if a race car looks right, it usually is right. That doesn't always prove to be the case, but it did with the beautiful Maserati 300S. To my mind, it doesn't get much better than this.

Name:  frans_LeMans-02a.jpg
Views: 2099
Size:  47.5 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Even if it's not a front-engined single-seater

Hmmm, can we say I tweaked the rules slightly, rather than breaking them? Just this once?

I have always had an interest in Indianapolis cars, especially those from the 40s through mid 60s, must be all those early speedway and hot rod influences I got as a youngster. So, having this interest for nearly 50 years, but never having the opportunity to see any Indy cars in the flesh imagine my delight at tripping over this car at the Goodwood FOS in 1996.
    This is the Lou Moore built Blue Crown Special, front wheel drive, Offy powered, an example of which won the Indianapolis 500 driven by Mauri Rose in 1947 and 1948 and Bill Holland in 1949, and the car to beat until the arrival of Bill Vukovich and the Kurtis roadster in 1952.

Last edited by pallmall; 07-16-2011 at 01:31 AM.