Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Show And Tell - What Do You Drive?

World Champion
    John,
    I have to agree it had some unforgettable road scenes. I only saw it when it first came in Auckland after staying at Felix St. Whenever I drive into LA on Pacific Coast Highway I think of the scenes filmed there. Here is a site that shows where most of it was filmed and I have driven through each place except for the Florida scenes. You must put it on your "Bucket List." That will be on your way to drop in to visit us here in Los Olivos.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057193/locations

I also liked the movie "Vanishing Point" with actor Barry Newman and Gilda Texter riding on the motorbike ! That is what lured me to the states after I watched it in Hamilton in 1971.

Name:  Vanishing-Point-Car.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  183.5 KB

"Vanishing Point" movie scene with Barry Newman driving a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 Magnum.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-20-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Ken- Gilda... boy that was mouth watering.
    Always loved the part where the E Type roadster failed to make the bridge.
    I, all of 18 then,loved the movie so much , I talked my folks- they were in their late 60s then- into seeing this neat road movie with me.
    All was good till Gilda appeared on that bike.........the look on their faces......had forgotten about that scene till then.

"That is what lured me to the states after I watched it in Hamilton in 1971" - Mate you took the lure, hook, line ,sinker and copy of Angling Times
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-20-2015 at 03:57 AM.

Hi Rod, checked my facts re the red tiger, that one belongs to Dale Akuszewski (Dales Restorations) apparently has 289 engine, but has standard brake calipers and must run 13" wheels. 400 plus HP. My yellow Tiger uses one of his front suspension set ups. John Morton drove a white Tiger No 74 at Laguna Seca this year.
    Regds

Ok, had his name on board. Cheers. Bloody nice bit of car anyway, sounded and went real good.

Gone now, but not forgotten. The shell was crushed before TradeMe came along but the engine lives on and I look forward to its re-appearance... My original intention/dream was to convert it to a Broadspeed replica but with the dropped Elf front.

Name:  186_ Elf.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  152.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Gone now, but not forgotten. The shell was crushed before TradeMe came along but the engine lives on and I look forward to its re-appearance... My original intention/dream was to convert it to a Broadspeed replica but with the dropped Elf front.

Name:  186_ Elf.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  152.6 KB

Love the Elf front, there was a guy in the UK in the 1970's who ran a Mini with a cut down MG grille and called it an MG Gnat, was a very fast car at the time apparently - I had seen an article probably in UK's " Autocar " magazine

Not just an Elf front Rog. It is/was an Elf! I vaguely remember the MG Gnat.

Google is your friend.

http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/news/news106.html
    Last edited by ERC; 12-24-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    Not in the same league as the previous posters , but this is my daily driver & "toy", although now painted gloss black.

Name:  Kiwi_Cupra.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  81.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Not just an Elf front Rog. It is/was an Elf! I vaguely remember the MG Gnat.

Google is your friend.

http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/news/news106.html
    ERC, Ray thanks for the link, The " Gnat " obviously used the standard Cooper body not with the Elf / Hornet tail .. I have always loved Minis, had two 1960's - 850cc, between 1967 and 1974 then a 1275GT - the English version in the early/mid 1980's and a 1000cc Minivan - the Dominion Motors conversion with side windows and a back seat.

cheers
    Roger

World Champion
    I recently wrote about going to the site of the Longford race circuit in Tasmania in December 1990. It brought back memories of that time as I thought we would have time to come back and check out Longford in more detail but as we left Hobart we got delayed at the Cadbury Chocolate factory !! (Which is now closed for tours ) and we just made it back to the Launceston airport for a flight to Melbourne before flying back to Auckland. So the next day I drag my weary butt into work at Tauranga and was told my services were no longer required which was a bit rough right before Christmas and we needed to stay in NZ until March 1991.
    Anyway I looked around and found this 1973 BMW 2002 Touring sitting in a back yard in Bethlehem and it needed engine work and some bodywork. I bought for $ 2200.00 and sold it before we left for $ 5000.00 and thought I had done ok. It was a neat little car and now are worth quite a bit due to their rarity. It was sold to a guy in Taupo. If anyone sees it around, let me know. It helped rescue us by paying for our tickets back to California !
    The Hyndman 1973 BMW 2002 Touring.
    Name:  1973 BMW Touring.#2jpg.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  159.1 KB

Name:  1973 BMW Touring.# 1 jpg.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  151.5 KB

Here is a present day sales ad for a 1974 BMW 2002 Touring.

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car...02/1974/419591

Oh well.. at least we all enjoyed the chocolate factory ! ( Ken Hyndman.)

World Champion
    The good old 2002 BMW engine had some good pedigree.

(Ken Hyndman )