Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Show And Tell - What Do You Drive?

That Manta Can-Am is a smart looking car. Must admit I had never heard of it but I guess that they are pretty rare these days.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Thanks John,
    My two aunties left Felix St in 1966. I Googled it last night and found the old house is still there. Number 30 across from the entrance to GIB Living. It is a light beige colour and has a garage in front with a blue mural painted on it. I recognized it from the stain glass window which was on the room where I used to sleep when I went to stay and visit the "big city". You can see it best from the driveway to 28A. If you could ever get a chance to photo the house that would be greatly appreciated.

The last car dad drove to Auckland and we had for years was a 1959 Humber Hawk.
    Attachment 32125

Before I go, here are my two aunties arriving at Kiwitahi in their new 1965 Simca 1000. (Not a great aerodynamic design but they were very happy in it )

Attachment 32126
    Attachment 32165

Ken- here is number 30.
    Circumstance do not appear to have been kind to it, there is a lot of infil housing.
    The garage with the mural is number 28

World Champion
    John,
    I made a mistake as it is now # 28 Felix Street. It still has the stain glass window on the south west side and it is behind the garage with the mural.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/28...8dbc7bdf?hl=en

I really do appreciate you doing this as this old house was a big part of my NZ childhood. Your time and photographs you can put on
    Grant's tab and I will take care of it !

Cheers,
    Ken H

Kiwi285 Do you mean something like this. Unfortunately 289 has been stroked and bored to 305 so dosent quite fit the bill.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Grelley- those wheels really suit this very smart looking car

Thank you. The wheels are American Pannasports. They are used quite a lot on Tigers.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Not a big deal to make it back into a 289, crank and either a set of rods or pistons depending on which of many options you decide on.

That is just what I had in mind. I'll bet the 305 is a real handful in damp conditions, but that probably goes for all Tigers. I have never heard of one with a bigger engine than 289.

Do you still have the car ?

Hi,yes I still have the car, its a lot of fun. A number of Tigers in the US (where most of them reside) have been stroked to 347 and have in excess of 400 hp. I understand mine is about 360 hp. The best part of it is, that with its high gearing I have had over 32 mpg out of it on trips.

Bit off thread but Laguna Seca Rolex this year and driven by John Morton, it was very quick and don't think it is 'standard' 289 set up. Beautiful car and sounded great.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hi Rod, if it was a Mk1 Tiger, which I think it is, it would be running the 260 CI engine so that would make it even better. Only the Mk2s had the 289 and I think the cars have to be very period correct, including small disc front brakes and drum rears.

A lineup of Tigers in NZ .Markson

Name:  tiger line up.JPG
Views: 816
Size:  65.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by grelley View Post
    Hi Rod, if it was a Mk1 Tiger, which I think it is, it would be running the 260 CI engine so that would make it even better. Only the Mk2s had the 289 and I think the cars have to be very period correct, including small disc front brakes and drum rears.
    It was quick, bloody good 260 if that's what it had.

I was told by the owners club (Tigers) that the way to tell a real one as opposed to a repowered Alpine, is to look at the gearbox tunnel. If it looks as though it has been beaten out with a sledgehammer then it's real. If it's nicely formed, it's a repower

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  169.6 KB
    Ken...Does this look like your favourite childhood window?
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-19-2015 at 10:38 AM.

World Champion
    John,
    That is the correct place. It may not look like much but it means a lot to me. I thought the place had been demolished to make way for new buildings and I have not been on Felix St since 1965. ( Only 50 years and I still remember looking out at the trains and the fertilizer works and the noise of the city etc after the quiet of Kiwitahi !)
    Thanks so much for this.
    Wishing you and all a Merry Christmas.
    Ken.

(My apologies to all for taking up space on this thread and I promise not to post as much in the future )

(Ken Hyndman )

Ken- this site is all about sharing memories.
    You have have given so much enjoyment to all of us here in terms of pics and your experiences.
    Enjoy something we can give back to you.
    Keep your posts coming mate.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-19-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Ken
    Though we have never met I really enjoy your contributions to this Forum. Please keep them coming!

Ken- my favourite all time road movie is -Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.
    Would love to retrace the same route all through Southern California to see whats the same and what isnt.
    I know the Big W is not there, have you ever done this trip ?