Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Show And Tell - What Do You Drive?

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Thanks for that! Nice pic. After the initial restoration (It was yellow when I bought it.) Also, after someone took a chunk out of the left rear wheelarch at Whenuapai but before the big bang at Pukekohe that topped and tailed the car! Note that the number-plate is now on the Cooper S.
    ERC, have a few photos from a " Whenuapai Wings and Wheels " around 2000, must go through and see what I took, have found an initial 6 but sure I would have taken more than that, went to a couple of them from memory. and love your car

World Champion
    Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but here are some of the cars we had in the Hyndman family as I was growing up.

Number 1 is a photo of little Kenny arriving at his aunties home on Felix St in Te Papapa with mum & dad in their 1948 Ford Prefect E93A four door saloon.

Name:  Family cars_NEW.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  136.7 KB

Our next car was a 1951 Standard Vanguard Phase 1 saloon. With a 2 litre engine the same as a Ferguson tractor. 0 to 60 in a really quick 21.5 seconds !
    Our car was black and on a hot day and dad smoking I was always car sick, especially on the gravel roads to Waihi Beach through the Karangahake Gorge.
    Name:  Family cars_0002_NEW.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  178.3 KB

Name:  Family cars_0002_NEW_0001.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  145.2 KB
    Again at Te Papapa. Note the evidence of the gravel roads !

Went down Felix Street tonight- changed a bit.
    Give me the address and I can give her little Kennys regards.....
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-14-2015 at 09:50 AM.

World Champion
    Thanks John,
    My two aunties left Felix St in 1966. I Googled it last night and found the old house is still there. Number 30 across from the entrance to GIB Living. It is a light beige colour and has a garage in front with a blue mural painted on it. I recognized it from the stain glass window which was on the room where I used to sleep when I went to stay and visit the "big city". You can see it best from the driveway to 28A. If you could ever get a chance to photo the house that would be greatly appreciated.

The last car dad drove to Auckland and we had for years was a 1959 Humber Hawk.
    Name:  Family cars_0005.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  91.2 KB

Before I go, here are my two aunties arriving at Kiwitahi in their new 1965 Simca 1000. (Not a great aerodynamic design but they were very happy in it )

Name:  Family cars_0001.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  139.9 KB

Humber Hawks were the most sought after cars for "Demolition Derby" races at Waikaraka Park Stock cars - they were so strong that most other cars wrote themselves off trying to take them out!

The little Simcas were very good performers, but evidently a little light in the front. I'm told at higher speeds the nose would try to lift so a good heavy toolbox or similar was always carried under the bonnet.

I had one in 1982, saved it from Demolition Derby. Had the 4 cylinder Commer Truck engine,
    A great car with factory heater.
    Hey Ken, when you were a wee boy staying at Aunties, any Saturday night noises from Epsom Showgrounds, Glouster Park Stock Cars.........

My garage in better days.

World Champion
    John,
    I remember my dad & brother going to the Epsom Showgrounds and Western Springs. I was not allowed to go.
    I also remember I had been an apprentice for one week and thought I knew it all and told mum I was going out to tune the Humber Hawk.
    By the time I was finished the valve clearance was so bad and loud and the timing so far off the engine was almost turning backwards.
    I think it was towed into town to get set right. I was not allowed to touch it again except to wash and vacuum the old beast !

(Ken Hyndman )

One for you Paul... Can you please confirm the make, so that I can file my pic!!!

Name:  205_1008_05.JPG
Views: 903
Size:  174.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    One for you Paul... Can you please confirm the make, so that I can file my pic!!!

Name:  205_1008_05.JPG
Views: 903
Size:  174.4 KB

Picture taken at Bygone while Malcolm was getting it certed under the Neil Fraser's watchful eye.

It is a 1984 factory-built Manta Mirage. Mid-mounted 350 Chev, modified Corvair transaxle, Mustang 2 front suspension. Pin-striping by Shaky Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wilkinson View Post
    Picture taken at Bygone while Malcolm was getting it certed under the Neil Fraser's watchful eye.

It is a 1984 factory-built Manta Mirage. Mid-mounted 350 Chev, modified Corvair transaxle, Mustang 2 front suspension. Pin-striping by Shaky Jake
    Wow. They made them for a few years (probably not surprising given their McLaren-derived styling). I've got a brochure from the Australian agent, Manta Motors, which dates to the mid-70's. At that time they had 1970 VW or late Karmann Ghia suspension listed in the specs. Nett weight with a small block Chev was quoted as 1900lbs. (under 900kg!!)

Quote Originally Posted by librules View Post
    Wow. They made them for a few years (probably not surprising given their McLaren-derived styling). I've got a brochure from the Australian agent, Manta Motors, which dates to the mid-70's. At that time they had 1970 VW or late Karmann Ghia suspension listed in the specs. Nett weight with a small block Chev was quoted as 1900lbs. (under 900kg!!)
    Yep. The early ones had VW front suspension which always seemed strange to me. They used a (flipped) Corvair rear so why not use the twin-wishbone Corvair front? They also made the VW based Montage which indirectly came to NZ as the Mararn. The founder died in a racing accident (Formula Ford?) and his brother kept it going for some years but I think they overcapitalised on their C1 Corvette replica.

I loved them ever since I saw one being stolen in the original 'Gone in 60 Seconds'

From Wheels 1974:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Not the best pic..sorry. This was my first 'project' car. Bought as bit of a derelict and rebuilt and refurbished ! Believe the Mararn moulds were bought in by the legendry Mr McRae but can't be sure of that. Mine was 100 percent VW based.......but a lot of fun !!!!!!

I swooned after them as a teenager (hence the brochure) I still have that Wheels mag, too. Maybe they went the VW route originally due to parts availability and price, and as a follow-on from the kit-car beach buggy days?Name:  Manta1.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  42.5 KBName:  Manta2.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  65.0 KBName:  Manta3a.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  167.8 KB

....that should have ended - .....beach buggy days.......

Apologies for quality but my scanner is out of action. The quote for complete kit less engine is $7400, reasonable value for that time.

You're right about the Mararn moulds.
    Rather than clog this forum, have a look at: http://mantacarsforum.com/forum.php I've posted a lot of scanned articles, including the popular Mechanics article where Stirling Moss drives a Manta.

Here is my Mararn and my Beach buggy from years gone by:

Name:  Buggy.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  100.9 KB
    Last edited by Paul Wilkinson; 12-16-2015 at 04:29 AM.

This was my pride and joy. It was built from the Almac kit and had a warmed 351 Cleveland. Loved driving it through town and blipping the throttle - the lake pipes sounded fantastic. Built it in less than two years - I know of quite a few earlier kits than mine that are still stuck away in sheds. Unfortunately is has now moved on. Last I heard it was down in Whanganui being repaired.

Mike- thats a very tasty bit of kit, easily the best colour scheme I have ever seen on one,
    Good to see a Clevo pushing it along.
    After all the real deals had Fords back then-like the Tigers........

Yes a grunter - from the early V8 Falcon days and saloon car racing.
    I have never seen another in that colour scheme and that was one of the reasons that I picked and I think it looked smart.
    And yes I have always fancied a Tiger with a 289 and Minilite wheels.