Thread: Show And Tell - What Do You Drive?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    One for you Paul... Can you please confirm the make, so that I can file my pic!!!

Name:  205_1008_05.JPG
Views: 910
Size:  174.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    One for you Paul... Can you please confirm the make, so that I can file my pic!!!

Name:  205_1008_05.JPG
Views: 910
Size:  174.4 KB

Picture taken at Bygone while Malcolm was getting it certed under the Neil Fraser's watchful eye.

It is a 1984 factory-built Manta Mirage. Mid-mounted 350 Chev, modified Corvair transaxle, Mustang 2 front suspension. Pin-striping by Shaky Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wilkinson View Post
    Picture taken at Bygone while Malcolm was getting it certed under the Neil Fraser's watchful eye.

It is a 1984 factory-built Manta Mirage. Mid-mounted 350 Chev, modified Corvair transaxle, Mustang 2 front suspension. Pin-striping by Shaky Jake
    Wow. They made them for a few years (probably not surprising given their McLaren-derived styling). I've got a brochure from the Australian agent, Manta Motors, which dates to the mid-70's. At that time they had 1970 VW or late Karmann Ghia suspension listed in the specs. Nett weight with a small block Chev was quoted as 1900lbs. (under 900kg!!)

Quote Originally Posted by librules View Post
    Wow. They made them for a few years (probably not surprising given their McLaren-derived styling). I've got a brochure from the Australian agent, Manta Motors, which dates to the mid-70's. At that time they had 1970 VW or late Karmann Ghia suspension listed in the specs. Nett weight with a small block Chev was quoted as 1900lbs. (under 900kg!!)
    Yep. The early ones had VW front suspension which always seemed strange to me. They used a (flipped) Corvair rear so why not use the twin-wishbone Corvair front? They also made the VW based Montage which indirectly came to NZ as the Mararn. The founder died in a racing accident (Formula Ford?) and his brother kept it going for some years but I think they overcapitalised on their C1 Corvette replica.

I loved them ever since I saw one being stolen in the original 'Gone in 60 Seconds'

From Wheels 1974:

Attached Images Attached Images  

That Manta Can-Am is a smart looking car. Must admit I had never heard of it but I guess that they are pretty rare these days.