Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
I cannot believe that there isn't some-one out there that remembers either the incident at Baypark or the Drag truck called 'Waltzing Matilda'. The more I think about it the more I am convinced that there was something fishy with the whole enterprise, especially after the Baypark balls-up. Unfortunately there are none of the Paramount tyres boys around now, so I cant ask them. OSH wasn't around in those days either, so they certainly didn't step in as I'm sure they would today. Maybe it was just packed up and sent back home to Australia. I dunno, one of lifes mysteries. Greg, your a bit of a Hot-Rod guru, do you know anything?
Isn't it amazing that this incident was seen by a few people and the have described it totally different to what actually happened. I too was standing by pit wall watching what unfolded. The guy driving the Bandag Truck had his 14 year old daughter with him. He had started to do a few spins for the crowd. The cab was actually clamped down but when the truck spun the chassis twisted and rocked the cab undone. The flat front just just fell forward onto it's nose. This "pulled" all the cables tight. The cables being the accelerator cable and gear shift cable. When the cab went forward the gearshift cable was pulled into reverse and the accelerator was pulled to full acceleration. The angle of the truck was so it was trying to climb into the grandstand opposite the pits but for the bank it was running up against. With a diesel you have to shut off the diesel supply. A bloke from the crowd in the stands jumped on to the back of the trucks engines and killed it...he was the sole hero. Me I was crapping myself because in the pits I had my Mazda Sports Sedan as well as my Toyota Group A car as this was the three hour Simpson Series weekend. Always wanted to run two separate cars at a meeting....you know something that haunted me for months after that truck incident...was the fact that when he first spun it and the front tilted down to the ground....only the Good Lord himself will know how lucky everyone was that the back was aiming at the bank. There would have been a very very major problem if it in fact had of been pointing in any other direction....(imagine full acceleration aiming at the pits in reverse. With all the Group A cars with petrol...oh shit !) Regards, Tony Rutherford.