Thread: Hulme in a Porsche in '70 ?

Hulme in a Porsche in '70 ?

I stumbled across this today while on another project, and I see for the Watkins Glen 6 Hours, International Championship of Makes.
    Elford/Hulme in a Porsche 917K, the entrant was Porsche/Audi Division, and this was July 1970 !

Is this right ? I'd had never known of this drive.

Here is the result page: http://www.racingsportscars.com/resu...970-07-12.html

I think he did a few events in a John Wyer 917 in the 1970 sportscar world championship.

Yes he raced at Watkins Glen in the Porsche Salzburg car. Remember it was a double header meeting with the six hours on the Saturday and Can-Am on the Sunday and Denny was there anyway for the Can-Am.
    Vic Elford drove the 917 in the Can-Am on Sunday, most of the faster 6 hour cars did the Can-Am race, good prizemoney.

I'm surprised he would have jumped the fence for a 6 Hour drive, though it certainly was a different time, and any prize money is good money.

Bruce.

Denny would drive anything offered almost, but what is interesting about this one is his hands were still recovering from the Indy burns.

Indeed the burned hands, and it was right after Bruce had died.

Denny had only returned to GP racing at the French GP the previous weekend and finished 4th at that demanding Clermont - Ferrand circuit. He had done the first 2 CanAm events with the bandages on but it seems brave to take on a 6 hour event - for the opposition.

Thanks for bringing this point to our attention Bruce, I hadn't been aware of it either.

Murray, it's great that we have this forum to chew over such details. No doubt there will be more surprsies from Denny for us.

Bruce.