Thread: Motoring pics Vintage cars - early years, events from 1960's 70's and 80's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Kevin, and Ken H, the Fawcett family, there was Chris and Rose [ friends of my grandmother ], their son Bruce who married Betty, and they had three children Garth, my age, Kit [ young Chris ] and a daughter, name escapes me, had a dairy farm, which we used to stay at in school holidays in the 1950's and into the 1960's, was actually staying with Bruce and Betty with my cousin in 1967 when the Storm that caused the Wahine to sink struck, split a huge window in there house ..
    Chris and Rose who owned the " Um Tum Tiddeley ", used to take us to the Mount, where they had a bach !! went there in the Siddeley on a couple of occasions, and later on in new cars, mainly Vauxhalls I think.. small world.
    Bruce had a PB Vauxhall in the late 60's which Garth and I borrowed and did laps of the roads and the back paddock, Garth had a Mk 11 Zephyr - Zodiac with a Raymond Mays head and a twin choke Weber, when I only had a Mini or an A40 [ around 1970ish..]
    The Fawcetts stayed in Walton a long time, I think the farm was bought in the 1930's, by Chris and the Bruce took it over, Garth may have followed on I am not sure.
    Yes, remember them well,about two miles down the road from our farm [ Campbell's road ] as they say small world. We used to do the same trick on the Ngarua bridge with nice shiny 10 inch crescent tied to fine nylon & hide up under bridge

Walton and the Fawcett family. Kevin Hirst and Ken Hyndman small world !!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    Yes, remember them well,about two miles down the road from our farm [ Campbell's road ] as they say small world. We used to do the same trick on the Ngarua bridge with nice shiny 10 inch crescent tied to fine nylon & hide up under bridge
    Campbell's Road, now that brings back a memory or two, very small world Kevin and Ken ..we used to do the run up Campbell's to the T junction Right then Right at the crossroads through the kink to the next crossroads then right and right, and back to the farm gate .. last bit sedately. Think there was a bridge there too !! that is probably where the railway line is .. main rail traffic to the Waharoa Dairy Factory ..

see correction we did the run anticlockwise - all left hand turns, less stopping !!
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-08-2016 at 01:29 AM. Reason: ooops #### 47