Thread: David Craw, singer Gazelle,, any other photos out there?

Weekend Warrior

David Craw, singer Gazelle,, any other photos out there?

Name:  12049268_1648404255448899_7994287391686299524_ 1983, Ardmore reunion, dave short , Ray Archbald,.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  84.0 KB Looking for old photos, Singer Gazelle, grey with maroon stripe, as raced by
    Christchurch Chrysler - Rootes group Guru, David Craw. Only photo I have seen was on the grid, alongside & to the left of The grey, Ray Archibald Jag at the Ardmore - Ohakea - Pukekohe ?? reunion about 1982-84.
    partially obscured in the photo, car was also Raced in country Gents - classic MR club, at Probably Wigram, also probably Dunedin Circuit and also In Very Early South island Pre-65.any pics & old programme info would be appreciated.show your images please. also Send a personal message if you wish, Thanks.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Series V ?

Weekend Warrior
    Yes, that's the car in the photo above, grey with maroon stripe, built to go fast By David Craw.

The photo is taken at Pukekohe looking back up the start/finish straight.

Weekend Warrior
    Many thanks,
    Does anyone out there have further Photos showing this car racing or in the paddock-pit area at any events 1980-90. please show if you have, cheers.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I've had a look through my race programmes and come up with a few hits (the filename of each image is the programme date & race venue):

Name:  1982-03-28_Ruapuna.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  113.2 KB

Name:  1982-04-18_Ohakea.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  122.3 KB

Name:  1984-01-29_Dunedin.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  138.9 KB

Name:  1986-02-16_Dunedin.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  127.9 KB

This photo was in the 1990 SFOS programme - but would have been taken earlier.
    Name:  1990-Feb_SFOS.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  163.1 KB

I have some entry lists for SI Pre-65 racing from 1983 onwards but the Gazzelle doesn't appear after 1982.

At the 1990 Southern Festival of Speed programme there's a Gazelle entered by Jim Kennett of Rangiora. Same car?

Over the same period Dave Craw is also often entered in a Sunbeam Allegro. Small block Ford V8 in a 1970 Sunbeam Rapier. Interesting !

Semi-Pro Racer
    Watched the 'Allegro' at one of the Queenstown street sprints ( prior to race meets ) IIRC, could have been Dunedin.... got the impression that it was a replica rather than production or licenced by Sunbeam /Rootes - very well done though, vaguely remember the above gazelle, but no pics...

Weekend Warrior
    Many thanks, after some discussion with dave craw, he did keep the car until 92, so the kennet - Rangiora entered car may have been Green and also an earlier model. , but thanks for the great photo.

World Champion
    Jack, you may find this very interesting. Its not Dave Craws Rapier, but still fascinating.

http://www.sunbeamcarclubofnewzealan...apier-fastback

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Jack, you may find this very interesting. Its not Dave Craws Rapier, but still fascinating.

http://www.sunbeamcarclubofnewzealan...apier-fastback
    Anybody know what motor he was running? 2000CC,

Article says Ford 289. read two paragraphs just before the clutch cylinder table

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Noble View Post
    Article says Ford 289. read two paragraphs just before the clutch cylinder table
    Sorry, I meant the Craw car, listed as 2000 CC in entrie's, don't know of any Rootes group motor that would go out to that sizs.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    Sorry, I meant the Craw car, listed as 2000 CC in entrie's, don't know of any Rootes group motor that would go out to that sizs.
    From what I remember there were quite a few around the Christchurch area who stretched the Rootes engines out a bit, probably both bore & stroke, a couple went into U2 club cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    From what I remember there were quite a few around the Christchurch area who stretched the Rootes engines out a bit, probably both bore & stroke, a couple went into U2 club cars.
    Thank,s Jac, they were quite a good motor in there day, easy to make reasonable horse's.

I am pretty sure Dave got them out to at least 2100cc bored and stroked but I think most of the time he was at 1980cc bored and stroked. Didn't rev them very high if I remember, about 6500 I think.

Well the Kennet car is alive and well and still green, it will be running at Roycroft next weekend in the hands of Craig Harmon, the Heasley car will be there too with Paul Stichbury.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    Dave Craw informs me that that first engine used at Dunedin, Wigram & Ohakea- Ardmore events, was over 2litre and built by Eric Swinbourne. it had so much torque all he had to do was feed the gears into it. a real "stump puller". Some calculated over 120 mph speeds were achieved on any of the longer straights. Its only 1725 now but can still cut the mustard , even in road trim, its still very firm with all of Daves chassis mods still in place. Name:  P6084164.JPG
Views: 957
Size:  163.1 KBName:  P6084166.JPG
Views: 1018
Size:  160.6 KB