Thread: Kiwi Speedway Culture Book

Kiwi Speedway Culture Book

I'm starting on a new book, to be published through David Bateman. Its called Kiwi Speedway Culture, and will include both current racers, plus a few oldies, vintage speedway cars, and speedway related automobilia collections etc.

I was hoping a few members on here might be able to tell me of any collections of speedway cars and automobilia that I could include? I'm not as well versed on the hidden collections of speedway stuff as I am the circuit racing stuff.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Please contact me at: theroaringseason@gmail.com

World Champion
    The obvious one for me would be talk to Bruce Robertson, if you have not already, in Palmerston, also Jack Retter in Palmy would be able to point you in the right direction, his son, Shawn Retter is Group Parts Manager at Courtesy Ford Palmy, and a car nut at that, I will send him a copy of your original post Steve.

The Yesteryear Barn at Ngatea.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the suggestions.

World Champion

Hi Steve, May not be valid to this thread but just a note to say that not all old sprintcars died. Some of us down here resurrected these from various wreckers around Christchurch and rebuilt them as circuit cars for classic racing The first one to appear was Lindsay Wogans one (silver) at the Lyttelton street race followed by No 327 built by John Hecker. I fell in love !!!! with these cars and had a go at bulding one myself. Found an old CAE chassis at Carrodus Bros Leeston ( a hotbed of info there for South Is Speedway) and constructed no. 17....Miss America. The Green one was built by Chris Orpwood. They were quite popular down here with the spectators. Even invited to do demo laps at the NZ GP.