Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLARK & GEOGHEGAN LOTUS 39

CLARK & GEOGHEGAN LOTUS 39

Very good article on this.
    Includes story of change from Climax 4 to Repco V8 power, and some fantastic photos.

https://primotipo.com/2016/02/12/jim...gans-lotus-39/

Interesting as mentioned in article that this car and Brabham's BT19 were developed for the same purpose, to take the stillborn Climax Flat 16.

Thoroughly recommended.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Terry, there are lots and lots of great articles on that site.
    Dale.

Good story on an old favourite - I always liked that white and green livery on the 39 'in the day', and it still stands the test of time.

PS - Gidday Dale, trust you're well. I'm not going to PI this year but please also pass on my regards to John

Semi-Pro Racer
    Michael, I am not going this year either. I will see John in a couple of weeks and pass your regards on.
    Yes the green a white livery with the center exhaust Repco engine and no wings, great looking car.
    Dale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Harvey View Post
    Terry, there are lots and lots of great articles on that site.
    Dale.
    Yes Dale that site has some incredible articles with lots of real info, and Mark Bisset is a great writer.

Back in December I started a tread on this forum on Matich's Formula 5000's referring to the primotipo site.

It drew some good responses from Mark with additional info. So full story was covered for the first time ever I believe.

That site has incredible variety too, and a lot of new photos.

The Lotus 39 and the Brabham BT 19 were unique to their manufacturers in that they were the only examples made of those particular models.

This was very unusual for Lotus who produced a lot of racers, and somewhat unusual for Brabham.

It is assumed that if the Climax flat 16 had proceeded then more of both may have been 'produced.

Weekend Warrior
    While the Lotus 39 was a one-off, it started life on the Lotus 33 jig as 33 R12, but differing from other 33s in having the monocoque finishing behind the cockpit to accommodate the flat 16. Not sure at which point it was designated a 39, but we sure were the lucky ones to have the car come to our circuits following the failure of the original project.

I have discovered another Lotus 39:

"Lotus 39 is a unique blend of healing herbal oils, plants and vitamins which provide one of the most effective hair and scalp rejuvenation formula for restoration of your hair and scalp to their optimum health."

Other claims on their website:

"No brain fog from the use of Lotus 39"

"No sexual side effects from the use of Lotus 39"

It seems I may have been concentrating on the wrong Lotus 39........

For all those avid Kiwi Lotus 39 fans here is the ideal place to live:

39 Lotus Ave
    Mt Maunganui

wherever that is .....

http://nz.ksou.cn/p.php?id=68159&q=T...0Bay+of+Plenty

Lotus Avenue is in the estate that was built where Bay Park once was, near Fahey Avenue and Denny Hulme Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Lotus Avenue is in the estate that was built where Bay Park once was, near Fahey Avenue and Denny Hulme Drive.
    Being from across the ditch I am not familiar with the area.

When I Google "Baypark" it comes up with Baypark Speedway.

For interest, is this part of the original racing set up?

No, but it's about half a mile away on the other side of the railway line.
    There was a speedway built in the centre of the Bay Park racetrack...
    Name:  BAYPARK 1.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  108.6 KB

But the alleged 99 year lease turned out to be fiction and this happened.
    Name:  BAYPARK 3.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  179.5 KB

The new Baypark speedway would be top right of the top pic.

Semi-Pro Racer
    There are times I really hate "progress"!

In the second photo, in the bottom right hand corner, are the places with dark grey roofs in a "gated" community" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    In the second photo, in the bottom right hand corner, are the places with dark grey roofs in a "gated" community" ?

Close - it's a retirement village: http://www.metlifecare.co.nz/our-ret...enty/bayswater

It was interesting to read in the article how Lotus had trouble finding suitable Climax FPF 2.5L engines for this car.

Remember that the F1 for which this engine was designed finished at the end of 1960. So many of the remaining engines had cracked blocks.

In any case other engines such as FVA were being used in the Tasman Series and the development of the Repco 2.5L V8 meant most Aussies switched to that. Also in sports cars such as Lotus 19 and Cooper Monaco the Americans stared replacing this engine with small V8's.

So the engine died out of use. Then Historic Racing came along and quickly there was a new demand for the engine. So various firms in UK started making parts and complete engines.

One of the most prominent is Crosthwaite and Gardiner. As can be seen from their website they can supply any part, including blocks, or even make you a complete engine.

http://www.crosthwaiteandgardiner.co...max-parts-list

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    In any case other engines such as FVA were being used in the Tasman Series and the development of the Repco 2.5L V8 meant most Aussies switched to that.

Apart from Leo and the works cars of Brabham and Hulme in 1967, only Col Green and Cusack used the Repco in Tasman races.

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Apart from Leo and the works cars of Brabham and Hulme in 1967, only Col Green and Cusack used the Repco in Tasman races.
    What about John Harvey?

In fact the only top line Aussie who didn't use the Repco V8 was Kevin Bartlett.

Co Green never had a Repco V8. His car was Brabham BT16 chassis F2.8.65 went from Gardner to Allen (for Gibson) then Green. It was always Climax powered.

Sergent strikes again