Thread: First Tasman Series race - who's left?

First Tasman Series race - who's left?

The very first official Tasman Series race was held at Levin on January 4 1964. This is basically 52 years ago, so I thought it might be of interest to list the competitors, and who are still with us.

This listing (in finishing order) is based on info in Sergent’s site.

1..Denny Hulme. (Brabham BT 4 Climax 2.5)...Deceased
    2..Timmy Mayer. (Cooper T70 Climax 2.5)...Deceased
    3..Bruce McLaren. (Cooper T70 Climax 2.5)...Deceased
    4..John Youl. (Cooper T55 Climax 2.5)... Deceased
    5..Tony Shelly. (Lotus 21 Climax 2.5)...Deceased
    6..Jim Palmer. (Cooper T53 Climax 2.5)...Alive
    7..Roly Levis. (Lotus 22 Ford 1.6)...Deceased
    8..Rex Flowers. (Lotus 20B Ford1.5)...Alive
    9..Neil Whittaker. (Cooper T43 Climax 2.0)...Alive
    10.Andy Buchanan. (Brabham BT6 Ford 1.6)...Alive
    11. Peter Slocombe. (Lotus 18 Ford 1.3)...Alive
    R..Bruce Abernethy. (Cooper T41 Climax 1.5)...Deceased
    R..Chris Amon. (Lola T4 Climax 2.5)...Alive
    R..Bill Thomason. (Cooper T51 Climax2.0)...Deceased

Of the 14 starters, 12 were Kiwis and there was one each from Australia and USA
    Of the 14 staters, 11 were classified as finishers. This is not remarkable as the race was only of 50 kms. So it was hardly an endurance race.
    The youngest drivers appear to be Amon at 20 and Palmer at 21.
    The only status I am not sure of is Whittaker. The rest I am reasonably sure of, but stand to be corrected.
    There were 7 Coopers in the field (50%). It was like a last hurrah for Coopers.
    The crowd was 14,000

Presented for interest.
    Last edited by Terry S; 03-24-2016 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Whittaker status update

Neil is still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    The very first official Tasman Series race was held at Levin on January 4 1964. This is basically 52 years ago, so I thought it might be of interest to list the competitors, and who are still with us.

This listing (in finishing order) is based on info in Sergent’s site.

1..Denny Hulme. (Brabham BT 4 Climax 2.5)...Deceased
    2..Timmy Mayer. (Cooper T70 Climax 2.5)...Deceased
    3..Bruce McLaren. (Cooper T70 Climax 2.5)...Deceased
    4..John Youl. (Cooper T55 Climax 2.5)... Deceased
    5..Tony Shelly. (Lotus 21 Climax 2.5)...Deceased
    6..Jim Palmer. (Cooper T53 Climax 2.5)...Alive
    7..Roly Levis. (Lotus 22 Ford 1.6)...Deceased
    8..Rex Flowers. (Lotus 20B Ford1.5)...Alive
    9..Neil Whittaker. (Cooper T43 Climax 2.0)...??
    10.Andy Buchanan. (Brabham BT6 Ford 1.6)...Alive
    11. Peter Slocombe. (Lotus 18 Ford 1.3)...Alive
    R..Bruce Abernethy. (Cooper T41 Climax 1.5)...Deceased
    R..Chris Amon. (Lola T4 Climax 2.5)...Alive
    R..Bill Thomason. (Cooper T51 Climax2.0)...Deceased

Of the 14 starters, 12 were Kiwis and there was one each from Australia and USA
    Of the 14 staters, 11 were classified as finishers. This is not remarkable as the race was only of 50 kms. So it was hardly an endurance race.
    The youngest drivers appear to be Amon at 20 and Palmer at 21.
    The only status I am not sure of is Whittaker. The rest I am reasonably sure of, but stand to be corrected.
    There were 7 Coopers in the field (50%). It was like a last hurrah for Coopers.
    The crowd was 14,000

Presented for interest.
    I was talking to Neil at the Southern Speed fest at Teretonga a couple of weeks ago. He was supporting Bill Pottinger and Bill's excellent new book of Tasman photos. Neil appears to be in very good health.

Wow, great thread Terry!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, great thread Terry!
    Terry S, any chance of the programme, if you have it being scanned and attached, 1964 was before I ever got to a Motor Race that was 1965

World Champion
    Roger,
    Here is the Pukekohe field a week later for the 2nd Tasman race, the 11 th NZGP on January 11th 1964.

Name:  1964[1].jpg
Views: 780
Size:  112.2 KB

(Ken Hyndman )..this is a vision test !
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-01-2016 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner32 View Post
    I was talking to Neil at the Southern Speed fest at Teretonga a couple of weeks ago. He was supporting Bill Pottinger and Bill's excellent new book of Tasman photos. Neil appears to be in very good health.
    Thanks for the advice re Neil Whittaker.
    This means there are 6 of the 14 starters still alive, or 43%.
    I personally think this is pretty good for after 52 years.
    As most drivers were probably in their late twenties or early thirties, this means they would now be in their 70's or 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Terry S, any chance of the programme, if you have it being scanned and attached, 1964 was before I ever got to a Motor Race that was 1965
    As I noted in my post, my info came from Sergent.
    I have never been to a race meeting in NZ, and thus don't have any NZ programmes.

I don't believe in buying programmes from meetings one hasn't been to.
    I personally believe that programmes are to bring back memories of meetings that one has attended.

A problem with programmes is they don't record what actually took place. A good example is the programme for the following week's NZGP that Ken has posted in #5. It lists 26 competitors but only 16 actually started.

For info I went to my first race meeting in 1962.

World Champion
    Terry,
    I always enjoy your knowledgeable inputs and I do not mean to intrude on your thread with one of my programme inputs.
    I personally enjoy looking back at the old programmes of race meetings that I have gone to and like to share them even though they may not be accurate of the actual race day events. I have also been rewarded with the comments entered by others as they may have been reminded of special memories triggered by the programmes.
    But I do understand your point and will remove my post at # 5 as this is your thread if you so wish.

(Ken H )

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Terry,
    I always enjoy your knowledgeable inputs and I do not mean to intrude on your thread with one of my programme inputs.
    I personally enjoy looking back at the old programmes of race meetings that I have gone to and like to share them even though they may not be accurate of the actual race day events. I have also been rewarded with the comments entered by others as they may have been reminded of special memories triggered by the programmes.
    But I do understand your point and will remove my post at # 5 as this is your thread if you so wish.

(Ken H )
    Ken I have absolutely no problem with your post #5. As you note it is nice to look back at programmes of meetings you have actually attended. So I think it is in line with my aim.

I will now do a similar table on the NZ GP 9 (the 2nd Tasman Race), after I request the status of some drivers I am not familiar with.

Ken it is interesting that my thread on F1 technical developments has been viewed so little. I thought finding out what "blown axles", "S" ducts and "Tyre squirt slots" would have had more interest than 50 year old races. Am I missing something?

It's a different NW

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    It's a different NW
    So is the "real" Neil Whittaker still with us?

World Champion
    Thanks Terry.
    I thoroughly enjoyed your latest F1 technical developments thread. That is amazing technology.
    Although I thought our threads had to be more historical, over 20 years old here on TRS.

When you mentioned NZGP 9, did you mean the 9th NZGP January 6th. 1962 ?

Cheers Ken
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-02-2016 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Thanks Terry.
    I thoroughly enjoyed your latest F1 technical developments thread. That is amazing technology.
    Although I thought our threads had to be more historical, over 20 years old here on TRS.

When you mentioned NZGP 9, did you mean the 9th NZGP January 6th. 1962 ?
    K

Cheers Ken
    Hi Ken, it was just a typo. I was referring to the NZGP that you posted in # 5.

So is the "real" Neil Whittaker still with us?
    Any update on Neil Whittaker status? sUrely someone must know.

--------------

There is a Neil Whittaker, in Levin, who used to own and race a Cooper at Levin back in the 1960s and is still involved in cars (Triumphs these days, god bless him!). I'd be confident in saying he is the same guy as raced in the first Tasman Race. I've not talked to him for a few months but I've not heard anything untoward about his health of late.

I'll see if I can get him to confirm and report back.

------------------

I can confirm that Neil of Levin is still alive and kicking (and was in that race). If the current owner of the car wants to sell it, no doubt Neil would be happy to buy it back for what he sold it for!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hyndman View Post
    ------------------

I can confirm that Neil of Levin is still alive and kicking (and was in that race). If the current owner of the car wants to sell it, no doubt Neil would be happy to buy it back for what he sold it for!
    Thanks Alan for status update

With confirmation of Whittaker's status, I can now state that 6 of the 14 starters are still alive. This is 43%

I personally think this is pretty good after 52 years for participants in such a dangerous game.