Thread: Kaikoura Go-Kart track

Kaikoura Go-Kart track

Hi All,

Just outside of Kaikoura there looks to be an abandoned race track. Just from the road it looks like a Go-Kart track. Does any one know any history of this track? As I used to race karts and would have loved to have a skid on it. It looks like some of the locals may use it now for a bit of drifting practise. Any info would be much appreciated.

Simon

Semi-Pro Racer
    Just google Kaikoura Go Kart track..... seems the drift boys have been playing there & got busted by the feds, moves underway to get it approved for such activities by the look of it..

Semi-Pro Racer
    On the subject of old karts, the first ever NZ Vintage Kart Grand Prix is being held at Hastings weekend of 14th and 15th March.
    As of 23rd February there were 123 entries and 93 competitors.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Hi All,

Just outside of Kaikoura there looks to be an abandoned race track. Just from the road it looks like a Go-Kart track. Does any one know any history of this track? As I used to race karts and would have loved to have a skid on it. It looks like some of the locals may use it now for a bit of drifting practise. Any info would be much appreciated.

Simon
    I don't know about the history of the Kaikoura kart track, but I have used it a few times.
    My doughter and I used to go up and use the track before she started racing karts. I wanted her to have gained some experience before she was put out on the track in real races.
    We'd get there late morning on Saturday and spend the rest of the day there. It was right next to the beach so was covered with sand and branches and sticks etc blown/washed up, so we always took a couple of big brooms so we could clean/sweep it before we could use the track. We'd take a KT kart and a yz125 grass kart and have heaps of fun.
    We'd stay over night at the motor camp that was a couple of kms down the road and go back again on the Sunday for a few hours. So we have fond memories of the Kaikora kart track. Must admit it was very short and tight so we had to gear the KT down a lot and couldn't get into top gear with the YZ.
    PK.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Not wanting to "hijack" this thread, but in a similar vein, does anyone know of a kart track that was supposed to have existed at Wairoa (northern Hawkes Bay). I have only been able to find one person who seems to know of it's existence-says his father was President of the club back in the '60s. Apparently it was near the beach not far south of the Wairoa River mouth.