Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Willis Family Commodore Sports Sedan

Gardner's Corvair was running in late 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Wouldn't the Graeme Addis charger be the first space frame sports sedan built ?
    That was around 1977 or '78 from memory
    No it still maintained the floor ect.

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Gardner's Corvair was running in late 1976.
    Talking NZ

Great thread Rod. Enjoyed the photos and the background. I went to school with Ian Knight.

Cheers
    Bruce

The Car grew aero help along with new bonnet ducting for radiator.

It was easy to work on as panels unscrewed and in you went.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Over a couple of Seasons and many changes, the car became a force to reckon with. Brett had his share of wins and was mostly in the top 4.

After a practice shunt when a link broke in the rear and Brett give the fence in front of main stand at Puke a good bash which shortened the car half way to back window. They put car in trailer and back to Rotorua. They appeared at the track the next morning with the car like new. Trevor Crow and John Osborne were there and could not believe the car was fixed. Oz said 'mate if that was my car it would be buggered for a couple of weeks.
    Lindsay showed and explained how it was built with main frame and from rear window was a sub frame that came off and they just replaced with a spare one, replaced fuel cell and couple of lines, fixed fibreglass, sprayed paint on, did square up measurement and there it was.
    Oz was impressed. John actually became very close friend over the coming years of battle.
    Oz actually had a off in the Targa one year outside of Rotorua, he got in touch with Lindsay and that night the magic wand was waved over a very bent Nissan. Oz restarted the next day, and always spoke of it.

More on Oz later as I will go through a few more of the cars and little bit of the Willis history.

The second photo is actually from one of the South Island Trips when Munty parked in the door.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 03-30-2018 at 09:18 PM.

These are from a early South Island trip with North Sports Sedans VS Open Saloon Car Association (OSCA) test
    This were the damage from previous photo happened as can when guys are into it.

3 Musketeers from North Sports Sedans Jim Short, Ralph Mossman in middle and Brett on right. This photo at Bay Park before they left.

Brett had a couple of good seasons in the Commodore and with associations that Lindsay had developed in America and as Lindsay says 'the main reason for the USA trip was to get some better parts for the Commodore as they were sick of breaking parts' so it was decided that time for a look at racing in USA and maybe Trans Am.
    So in 1987 Brett, Ralph, and a couple of other mates from Rotorua hit the sky and off to America.

I will post short information on what happened (not all of it) shortly along with some photos.

This was not the end of the Commodore but really the recreation of it when the boys returned. This later also.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 04-10-2016 at 12:43 AM.

Great yarn Rodders, too many race cars and their hardworking, inventive and self-funded teams work hard without reward or recognition. To get the guff from inside on the build and the development of the car is a rare and fascinating insight, hats off son.

After 3 years of racing the Commodore in both Islands and as mention about breakages etc the Rotorua crew Brett, Ralph, Ross and a couple others headed off on the big bird to take a bit of Kiwi to Trans Am. Well there was a couple of Kiwis already over there racing Trans Am and they lived a slightly different lifestyle to this crew.

First impact was a van with a open trailer with tent etc tied to it and guys getting out in shorts, jandels sometimes a t-shirt and just unloading and getting sorted. No team of 6 in same shirts and trousers and caps unloading a big transporter, Na this was a whole new thing to them fancy boys.

The van was home-transport-workshop and also any other shed the boys could borrow to use to work on car. Quite a few Americans actually became to like the guys and helped out after a couple of meeting when the first impressions changed a bit. (that's the Yanks and the Kiwis who were there already)
    The guys actually made a lot of friends with the American teams all over the country who helped out with accommodation and workshops for the guys to rebuild the car between meetings.

The transporter was how the others lived (at the track) and if the boys went near they had to be very quite and slow as not to be noticed. The jandels and shorts gave them away.

I will give bits on the trip shortly once I get a couple things clarified by Ralph. Ralph was the team manager (yea right) mechanic (now that he is good at) and social director (also another thing he is very good at) Ralph did have to become a diplomat, guidance councillor and legal advisor on the odd occasion.

This year when we were at La Guna Seca for the Rolex Classic with the F5000, Brett and Ralph meet up with some of the other guys they raced with in the Trans Ams and spent time with, and it was a great reunion. One bloke stood there looking at the guys and slowly walked over and looked at Brett and Ralph and cracked up laughing, saying " I thought I will never see those crazy Kiwis again when you left back then.' They made a little impact on some people, and a fairly large impact on others.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 04-10-2016 at 12:47 AM.

Right, story starts, not all of it, but enough for us to know.
    The boys were single back then, and this has relevance later.
    The boys arrived in LA, spent about 10 day looking around for a race car, there were a lot for sale, but they were all buggered or not really what they wanted.
    Went to LA, San Dieago, Santa Barbara and all over.
    They went and caught up with Spinner Black who was in a wrecking yard cutting up cars and engines etc. to send back here. Spinner was covered in crap but welcomed the guys and after a chat convinced Brett to buy a van as you could sleep in it and carry gear, better than a truck.
    Spinner organized for the guys to see Max Baker a well known engine man from NZ who was in Costa Mesa LA who knew a lot about cars for sale etc.
    Max was situated in Gentry Engines workshop and did the Offshore Power boats engines. When the guys arrived Max meet them and said 'you guys look like you need a beer' which was correct. Max took them to a bar called Zuebies Bar which had a sawdust floor, hoops to shoot ball and was a workers bar with mechanics and all sorts there. While they were talking and having a beer, Max said to Brett, 'drop back in tomorrow morning, I know of guy who has a Trans Am and is going through divorce'. The guys crawled out of the bar and had bit of sleep then the next morning the guys dropped into see Max and he told Brett to go and see this guy as he would do a deal. So off to Santa Barbara.
    They found the place which took 2 street fronts and had Corvettes for miles, they sold and leased them and had huge service centre.
    Brett meet with the man, Bob Brewer who had a Trans Am car for sale. Know Bob was the 'All American Hero' blue eyes, blonde hair etc. They had a look at the car and as all dealers do were told 'it got good history, this is a real good car' (more on this later). The deal took along time to sort as what Bob wanted was a fair bit more than Brett wanted to spend. Brett and the guys had a meeting and Brett explained it would be 1 meal a day and sleep in van if they got it. The guys agreed and deal was done. Along with spare engine and gearbox, and assorted suspension bits.
    Now this is were Ralphs skills come in very handy. While Brett was doing the deal Ralph had a wander around and notice an office right at the rear of the main building that was not in use. Ralph wandered back and had a chat with Bob and said 'well its going to take a few days for the money to come through, so how about we camp down in your unused office at back of building until the money has arrived and we can work on the car'. Bob agreed and they cleaned out the old office and that was home as it worked out for couple of weeks. As usual the guys got to know the staff well and one morning when they thought it was the weekend the guys in their scamps were out back of yard/building having a shower with the jerry rigged hose they had made a shower out off and there was socks and grots hanging up to dry on back fence, when the office girls walked around the corner on way to work, they could not believe the set up and laughed all day. The staff and guys all went to local bar or had beers in old office and worked on car most days and nights. On the final night the boys put on a BBQ for all and Bob Brewer had friends come over and join in along with staff, it was a big night. The guys went down well with every one and they could not believe how the guys just lived and got on with it and always happy, laughing.
    In between all this the boys did a lot to the car and had it in good shape when it came time to leave.
    They went too a Taco Bar and Ross tried to talk to locals (Mexicans) to find out which food was what. After getting ah ha 3 times from different groups, Ross shrugged his shoulders, turned to the counter and said '3 F*&^ken cheese burgers please' apparently the place erupted in laughter.
    Also at this time they found a Ford van and got it sorted out for the big trip. it did not have a tow bar so around the corner to get a tow bar. Now here is the Mexican thing again. Brett goes in and asks 'do you have a towbar to fit the Ford van' the guy looks at Brett turns his head and wanders down the counter and serves some one else. Ross just looks and asks same, but no reply. Ralph being the diplomat, jumps the counter and picks up a towbar and says, 'do you have one of these for a Ford van' silence, then the Mexican nods his head and says 'you be wanting the hitch or the reciever'. Well with great restraint the boys sort it out and after a easy job made hard had a Reciever (towbar) for the van.

Couple of photos of car at Bob Brewers yard which was home/workshop for couple of weeks.

Will give rough history of car later. at this stage it is about 5 years old
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 04-10-2016 at 12:59 AM.

Yes that is a younger Ralph, remember this is 1st time to the States and no one knew of 'DENNYS'

Getting car ready

The guys found a van but could not find a trailer, They got put onto a guy Jack Bender who ran a Formula Atlantic team and had a trailer business. Brett rang him and talked and he said for them to come over and he may be interested in sponsoring them a traier for the trip. Now they found out he was in Chicago 1/2 way across the State. so they get a U-Haul (as Ralph says F*%K All) trailer and modify it with cars wheels up on guards tie everything else on and off they go. After showing were they were going on Ralph famous map they left Bob Brewers in Santa Barbara and he said ' look after yourself boys because you aren't going to make it to Chicago".
    Well it took 3 days to get there and it was a steady climb for 1 and a 1/2 days with actually getting to 55mph at one stage, the poor ole van was struggling, any way all the way they went over the Rocky's and at one stage were going so slow up the Rocky's that Ross got out ran up the road and took some photos of them and then hoped back in side door as they got to him. At this time Ralph looks at the map and height and lets the boys know that they are higher than Mt Cook.
    They had no money so stayed at truck stops and washed up there etc.
    When they arrived in Chicago they had another look at map and then realised 'this is a big country, we only come that far' then they meet Jack Bender and he was full of it and there was no sponsor deal, apparently they were not what he expected, what did he think he was getting, maybe the van and trailer looking like the Beverly Hillbillys put him off. Any way he did find a trailer that would suit, so out into the back country to meet these people. They did not know what a bank cheque was, it took a lot of talk to have deal done. So off back to town with new trailer. Put new guards on it and then down to register it (nothing suspect in them country folk, but Ralph said it was good to get out) any way the lady at the post office says were you from, Ralph 'NZ', lady 'ah ha ha were that' Ralph explains and she looks at him and says 'ah ha, now you need to be having a local address,' Ralph explain they were travelling. Lady 'ok then you take this sticker and put it on trailer until you find an address, it last 30 days ok.' Ralph 'well thank you mam' and off they go with 30 days rego on trailer. Ralph did this each month for 6 months until they came home. As I mentioned before Ralph is manager, he's a smooth dude with them there country girls.

They explained the trip to some locals and they all looked at them and said 'you came over the Rockys, trucks go around another 2000 miles to miss that road and it's quicker'

Well more of travels tomorrow starting with the meetings and goings on.
    And couple more photos hopefully I am trying to get some more.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 03-29-2016 at 08:55 PM.

The first 'full space frame sports sedan' in NZ was the PDL Mustang II, which predated the Willis Commodore by about 7 years. Pics attached show the bare space frame chassis amongst others. http://www.nzmustang.com/Images/Hist...ars/PDL2-5.jpg

Yea correct, don't forget the words Sports Sedan

Commodore built for North Island Sports Sedans which were 6 ltr max.

Added:
    Maybe I should have clarified North Island Sports Sedan Association.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 04-10-2016 at 01:04 AM.

World Champion
    Rod,
    I wish I had known you when you here in the Santa Barbara area. I think you were at the Corvette place by the freeway near Carpinteria, would that be correct ? Anyway great stories of your adventures in the US. Thanks for sharing. You also came across Spinner sorting through "stuff" here also !
    "Paton & Black" engines;
    I may have mentioned this before but when Spinner was a lad at Kiwitahi he sold my sister a horse (It probably wasn't his to sell !)
    When Annette got it home it was so frisky she couldn't get a saddle on so she gave it back to (Spencer) and got her money back. The next day,(Wilbur) the horse broke out from the Black's paddock and walked / trotted the 3 miles down the road to our house. I think we kept the Wilbur and never gave "Spin" any money for the horse ! So our families go back a long way..I think they were about 12 at the time, so that is over 60 years ago.
    I used to play bare foot footy with John Paton when we were lads and his sister married my best friend.
    So when I saw this on the Willis car, it brought back many memories even though we are many miles apart.
    See Rod you did not know your writings and photos would have such an effect on someone.. well done.
    Name:  Willis Vehicle.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  58.4 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-29-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Post the 6 litre Shellsport Saloons, the PDL 2 then known as the Torro Toys Mustang was ran in NI Sports Sedan events against the likes of Jim Richards in the Big M Falcon. Incidentally, the PDL 2 also had a 6 litre engine.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Sedan (automobile), a passenger car in a three-box configuration with A, B & C-pillars and principal volumes articulated in separate compartments for engine, passenger and cargo
    Sedan meaning 4 doors......Commodore.
    Yeah right, so you are saying '2 door' cars like Ian Algie's Alfetta, Wayne Huxford's Capri, Graeme Addis' Charger and Barry Algie's Monaro and a host of others were not 'Sports Sedans' and ineligible for NI Sports Sedan Association events? Tui billboard time.

World Champion
    Rod,
    There must be something about the sulphur or the water in Rotorua as it seems to have turned some very good race mechanics over the years. These are the guys that work all hours and get very little acknowledgement and deserve a thread of their own.
    The Willis team guys are one example. Graham Donaldson who worked for years at VDS and other teams won the respect of many drivers such as ; Graham Hill, Tony Brise, Alan Jones etc and they all trusted Graham's preparation. Joe Wright was also another very well known race mechanic from Rotorua and I know there are many others that I have not mentioned.
    Thanks guys, we will get a thread going for all race mechanics. You are the ones that make it happen.

(Ken Hyndman )