Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Race Team Mechanics.

Ken,
    the lyncar was not built by nicholson but by martin slater of lyncar.

World Champion
    You are correct.
    I think that all Lyncars were powered by Nicholson built engines.
    One thing I did have correct is that the girls did get up and leave me in the grandstand that day. (I was shattered !)

At least I have found someone that reads what I enter and I thank you for that.
    Ken.
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-04-2016 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 928 View Post
    Ken,
    the lyncar was not built by nicholson but by martin slater of lyncar.
    Martin Slater's Lyncar operation primarily supplied race car components but built around 14 cars in total including Formula 1, F Atlantic and Sports Cars. Martin must have had a soft spot for NZers, after the cars driven by Kiwis John Nick and David Oxton, he invited John Anderson and I to build and race the prototype of his next F Atlantic car which he planned to put into series production.

World Champion
    2009. H&H Auction information.
    Sale Date: 14th March 2009

1972 Lyncar Formula Atlantic

Ex-John Nicholson

Sold For £11,550

Chassis Number: 003
    Cc: 1598
    Body Colour: White/Green

A talented designer whose career progressed from the building and racing of his own Formula Junior cars to working for Lola, Brabham and March, Martin Slater decided to create a chassis with which to contest the 1971 British Formula Atlantic Championship. Aided by Graham Coaker, one of the original March directors, the resultant machine was named after Slater's wife Lyn and Coaker's spouse Carol (hence Lyncar). Impressed by the results Mike Endean (later of XTrac) achieved with Lyncar 001, New Zealander John Nicholson (of Nicholson-McLaren engine fame) decided to become the fledgling marque's second customer and later collaborated with Slater on a Formula 1 project (Lyncar 006) which debuted at the 1974 British Grand Prix. Still going today, albeit no longer manufacturing cars, Lyncar can apparently help with spare parts.

H&H are indebted to the vendor for the following description: "John Nicholson began the 1972 British Formula Atlantic Championship with Lyncar 002 but replaced it with this particular example, Lyncar 003, after a heavy crash at Brands Hatch (though, he still finished third in that year's Yellow Pages sponsored standings). For 1973 the New Zealander acquired sponsorship from Bruno Drury of Pitch Plant and 003 was reconfigured with a full-width nose, wider front track and larger rear wing. Despite taking victories aboard 003 at May's Silverstone event (where he also set the fastest lap of 1min 25.9sec) and July's British Grand Prix meeting, Nicholson switched to the narrow track 005 thereafter. The results he achieved between the two chassis were enough to secure him the 1973 BP Formula Atlantic Championship. The car's second owner, Martin Steele, bought it from Bruno Drury / John Nicholson in July 1974 and fitted a Lotus Twin-Cam engine that he already owned. Between 1974 and 1982 Steele ran 003 in forty-five sprints and hillclimbs. While, his substitution of a Ford BDA engine for the Lotus `Twin-Cam' during 1977 saw the Lyncar returned to its `Atlantic' specification. Overhauled by Swindon Racing Engines in 1985, the BDA unit failed on its debut post-refresh outing at Silverstone. Returned to Swindon Racing Engines for another overhaul in 1987-1988, it has not been used since. The car is extremely original and comes with a spare top cover. It has never been damaged in any way. The colour scheme is Jaguar British Racing Green and White which is the same as when it raced in 1973. The car has had only three owners and has been carefully stored over the last twenty-one years".
    (One can see the fine workmanship that went into the Lyncars in these two auction photos.)
    It would have been a good purchase at that price I would think. This car has some pedigree.
    Name:  Lyncar 003.JPG
Views: 1876
Size:  40.8 KB

Name:  Lyncar 003 # 1.JPG
Views: 1876
Size:  60.4 KB

(Ken Hyndman )

Continuing the NZ mechanics (and part time drivers) theme, off the top of my head NZers who drove a Lyncar during the '70s included John Nick, David Oxton, Phil Sharp, myself,and Don Halliday. Plus working in key areas Kiwis John Anderson and Bill Robinson both of whom were ex McLaren's at some point of their career.
    Bill ran Emilio de Villota's Aurora series McLaren M23 and Lotus 78 out of a corner of the Lyncar factory in Reading.
    Last edited by Howard Wood; 05-04-2016 at 10:13 PM.

World Champion
    John Nicholson although busy with a very successful engine building business, still found time to enter Formula One in a Lyncar chassis # 006 during the 1974 and 1975 seasons. He did not have much success but you have to admit, it is a good looking car.

Name:  Lyncar   # 06.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  107.4 KB
    John Nicholson at Brands Hatch in 1974 in Lyncar # 006

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-05-2016 at 05:51 AM.

Brambilla chasing...

Ken are you aware of the identity of the kiwi mechanic(s) who worked on Brambilla's car ? Thinking of a tall blonde bloke from Tauranga, possibly named Peter...answers on a postcard....

Recent books I have read include Tony Robinson's (BRP Mechanic); then "Tales from the Tool Box"; plus the book by Di Spires "I only Made the Tea".

Most enjoyable read was Di Spires (who was in hospitality for about 30 years) and sadly, the least enjoyable read was probably "Tales from The Toolbox", which could have been presented so much better, but is a broad collection from many race mechanics. Informative though.

Apparently, the late Geoff Manning had many tales from his days as an F1 mechanic and I'm not sure whether or not Tony Herbert managed to record them for prosperity.
    Last edited by ERC; 05-05-2016 at 07:17 AM.

Max Rutherford's story is a great read, a must for every true Kiwi enthusiast IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Wood View Post
    Continuing the NZ mechanics (and part time drivers) theme, off the top of my head NZers who drove a Lyncar during the '70s included John Nick, David Oxton, Phil Sharp, myself,and Don Halliday. Plus working in key areas Kiwis John Anderson and Bill Robinson both of whom were ex McLaren's at some point of their career.
    Bill ran Emilio de Villota's Aurora series McLaren M23 and Lotus 78 out of a corner of the Lyncar factory in Reading.
    I think ex-FVee/FFord driver Warren Ellery also spannered on the Villota team.

Two gems from Geoff Manning that instantly spring to mind -

First that he was fired and re-hired in the space of an hour by Graham Hill one morning, but more significantly for me was his advice 'If you want the good stories, ask the mechanics'

World Champion
    Thank you gentlemen for mentioning Geoff Manning. Although I never met him he must have been a fine man and an excellent mechanic and was a major reason for the location of Hampton Downs.
    This photo is from his collection in the "50 Years On Track" book.
    (Check those in fashion bell-bottoms...Hey I still have a pair for the kids to laugh at !)
    Name:  Geoff Manning.jpg
Views: 1861
Size:  102.9 KB
    (Looks like Geoff is doing all the work. I think the guy on the counter should have been the one fired by Graham Hill ! )

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-05-2016 at 09:49 PM.

World Champion
    Speaking of good NZ race mechanics, I was looking at two photos I had taken at a F5000 race at Silverstone in August 1973.
    In the background are two gentlemen who I believe to be Joe Wright and a young Dick Bennetts. They were part of the David Oxton crew that day.
    (Please correct me if I am mistaken... )
    Name:  Silverstone. August 1973..jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  22.6 KB

Name:  David Oxton.Silverstone%201973_NEW_0001.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  54.2 KB

(Ken Hyndman photos )

Barbara Manning donated a Corgi Model of the Graham Hill car to us, which I purchased in the auction, and also a couple of other bits of memorabilia.

Geoff was a lovely guy and yes, he was the one who really found the site(s) for Hampton Downs, whilst walking his dog, 'Connaught'!

What many may not know, is that the original HD site as discovered by Geoff, was closer to the dragway and the river, but was scuppered at the 11th hour when the Maori elders wanted a clause that gave them the right to have the land reinstated to as it was, in 70(?) years time, at which point, they moved on to the current site.

I may have the facts a little wrong, but that is basically as I understand it. Sadly, Geoff passed away before the vision was realised, but he'll never be forgotten and Barbara presents the 'Volpini Trophy' to the winner of the Classic Trial series, annually.

HD deserves a corner named after Geoff. 'Manning Mount' sounds so much better than 'Turn 3'.

World Champion
    Allan McCall was another NZ mechanic who went to England and did very well in motor racing. Two things that I have in common with Allan is that we both attended the 1959 NZGP at Ardmore and we both applied for jobs at Team Lotus in Hethel,Norfolk, England. There the similarities end as Allan was hired by Lotus and I was not. He like Graham Donaldson served his apprenticeship in NZ.(John W Andrews in Auckland ) before heading overseas by ship in 1964.
    With his typical Kiwi welding skills and phoning Colin Chapman direct ! (I never tried that !)
    Allan was hired by Lotus to work on the Lotus Cortina in 1965 for Jim Clark to drive. There are many images of Jim driving the wheels off that car which is what happened at Brands Hatch when a wheel did come off one time and that did not please Mr. Chapman !
    Name:  Jim Clark_Lotus Cortina at Brands Hatch.jpg
Views: 1688
Size:  180.4 KB
    Note the stress on the wheels !
    Jim Clark at Brands Hatch.1965. Lotus Cortina. ( JTW 497C )
    (Photo from Allan McCall collection )

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-09-2016 at 06:44 PM.

World Champion
    In 1967 Allan was part of the Lotus Team that produced one the best Formula One cars of all time with Jimmy Clark and Graham Hill driving the Lotus 49 powered by the Ford Cosworth DFV engine. It was a winning combination from it's very first race at the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort. Later in the year Jim Clark won the USGP at Watkins Glen where Allan was his mechanic.
    Name:  McCall # 2.JPG
Views: 1606
Size:  52.3 KB
    Allan preparing the Lotus 49s for the 1967 USGP at Watkins Glen.

Name:  Allan McCall.1967..jpg
Views: 1854
Size:  71.8 KB
    The Lotus Team celebrating after Jim Clark's win in 1967 USGP.
    Allan McCall at lower right.

(Ken Hyndman ..scrapbook )

World Champion
    I was familiar with Allan McCall's work for Lotus and when I went to Baypark at the end of December 1967, with a female friend and being full of knowledge, proceeded to tell her that the driver there that day racing was Jim Clark's own mechanic and cheered him on until a nearby spectator stated; "You dumb s..t, that is Allan McCully from Southland driving that car !" Once again Hyndman is humbled and has to shut up !

Here is the other Allan who was also an excellent driver.
    Name:  Allan McCully.JPG
Views: 1580
Size:  32.8 KB
    (Allan McCully at Teretonga. 1968 )

KJH

Ken, I have an Allan McCall-built Tui BH3 in my workshop, prepping it for sale. The monocoque is a real work of art, typical of Allan's fastidious engineering.

World Champion
    It was after the 1967 USGP at Watkins Glen that Allan was asked by Phil Kerr to come to McLaren's to look after Denny Hulme's Formula One car and be involved with the Can Am cars as well. Bruce and Allan had a lot of respect for each other and Bruce was most supportive when Allan wanted to move out and build and drive his own car, the Tui.
    Name:  McCall with Hulme. 1968 # 1.jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  151.0 KB
    Photo from Allan's collection

Name:  Allan McCall # 1.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  97.4 KB
    Allan McCall in an early Tui.

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    I do not think Allan McCall came to NZ with the Lotus Team but I saw this piece written by Peter Windsor that gives an idea what a fun time these drivers had when they came out to NZ and Australia.
    This event is right after Bruce had almost overtaken Jim Clark on the 2nd lap of the 1965 NZGP at Pukekohe at the Hairpin but unfortunately they had touched and both retired which was a big disappointment to all of us spectators there that day.

"Tuesday, Jan 11 1965

Somewhere between Auckland and Levin They’re in a convoy, Bruce, Patty McLaren and Phil Hill in their Morris 1100, Jim in the Zephyr. They stop in a lay-by to stretch their legs. Patty swaps places and slides in next to Jim. Bruce pulls away then stops at the edge of the lay-by to watch his race cars pass by, towed by a pick-up. Jim and Pat are chatting away, talking about this and that. Jim fails to notice the stationary Morris. He plows into the back of it. The damage isn’t serious and so they continue on their way, Jim suitably admonished. Not long afterwards they stop for fuel. They all pile into the kiosk for drinks and sandwiches. “Say, that 1100 sure takes an awful lot of gas,” says Phil, peering out at the Morris. “She’s still drinkin’ it in…” “Or not,” replies Bruce, walking swiftly towards the bowsers. “Look at this, Clark! The fuel’s just pouring out the bottom of the tank! You smashed the fuel tank!”

(Peter Windsor )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also got to talk to Chris McAllister who owns and drives a wonderful collection of cars in present day historic racing here in the US and beyond. His collection includes Denny Hulme's 1971 McLaren M8 F and also Jim Clark's 1967 Lotus 49. He really admires those drivers and said that he can sling the M8 F around with ease but to drive like Jimmy seems unreal to him.
    I think Allan McCall and Jim Clark were a great combination back in 1967. This photo from Silverstone, 1967, is one of my favorites of a master at work. (It may not have been the most efficient way to go but it certainly looked good.) (Ken Hyndman )

Name:  Clark and McCall. Siverstone 1967.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  182.2 KB
    Jim Clark and Allan McCall setting up the Lotus 49 at Silverstone. 1967
    (Getty images photo )

(Peter Windsor photo )
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-11-2016 at 10:04 PM.