Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Race Team Mechanics.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The Lola T332C # HU61 has been beautifully restored and is owned at present by the Davison family in Australia.
    Attachment 34521
    (Chris Nicholls photo )

( Ken Hyndman )[/QUOTE]

The Lola is now owned by the Berryman family and Driven by Tim Berryman.
    Dale.

World Champion
    Thanks Dale,
    I should stick with the old information such as "at one time it was owned by .... "

Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Harvey View Post
    The Lola T332C # HU61 has been beautifully restored and is owned at present by the Davison family in Australia.
    Attachment 34521
    (Chris Nicholls photo )

( Ken Hyndman )

The Lola is now owned by the Berryman family and Driven by Tim Berryman.
    Dale.[/QUOTE]

I think you'll find that the Davison/Berryman T332 is HU34 that was new to Guy Edwards in the UK.
    HU61, which is the car pictured driven by Alan Jones next to Warwick Brown in the T430 at Riverside,
    was badly crashed in Australia by Jones, during the 1977 Rothmans series, and was replaced with
    HU34 for Jones to continue in that series at Sandown and Adelaide etc Theodore owned HU34 as
    well at that time HU34 stayed in Australia, as it was purchased by Jon Davison
    HU61, which was a T332c, wasn't repaired, and didn't run again

World Champion
    Geez,
    I should stick to the past and not the present !
    Not only did I get the owner wrong I also described the wrong car !
    Sorry folks.
    Perhaps I got confused when I saw this !

"Six Lola F5000 Tubs Discovered in Michigan " (Sports Car Digest. March 2011)
    Name:  lola-tubs lined up..jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  lola-pic-10-285x213.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  70.2 KB

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 04-21-2016 at 04:39 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Geez,
    Sorry folks.

( Ken Hyndman )
    Never mind Ken, your photos and stories are still appreciated.
    Dale.

World Champion
    This is what makes it so hard to write about Lola (HU 61).
    So who is correct ?

http://www.f5000registry.com/lola.html

has this comment.
    " Make: Lola
    Model: T-332C
    Year: 1976
    Chassis: Lola HU61
    Engine: Chevy 5 Litre

Transmission: Hewland DG 300

Owner: Marc Rauchfuss

Previous Owners: Theodore Racing - Teddy Yip

Racing History: Car ran for the first time at Road America in August 1976 driven by Derek Bell who was substituting for Alan Jones. Jones drove car in one additional race in 1976. Car later appeared at Surfers Paradise in Australia in 1977 where it was crashed during practice. Marc Rauchfuss currently restoring the car to original specifications to return it to historic racing in the Formula 5000 U.S. Revival Races.

( Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    It does seem that Alan Jones was pretty harsh on two of the Lola T 332 chassis that he drove but he was able to carry on and move on to the Williams F1 team where he had wonderful success in the early eighties.
    This reminded me of when I tried to get some wealthy business men here in Santa Barbara, CA to take the step to purchase this FW 07 (# 1)Williams back in 1987 and I was going to have Patrick Head authenticate the car before it came over here. They almost did go ahead and then thought it was not a very good investment with comments of " who wants to watch old Grand Prix cars trundle around"!
    If only they could have realized just how popular this racing is here now I think this would have been a wonderful investment.
    We are starved for Formula One action here in the west coast.
    Name:  Williams F1 for sale. Sept. 1987.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  155.0 KB

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 04-22-2016 at 08:06 PM.

World Champion
    1st Long Beach race weekend. Sept. 1975.
    Some parting shots of Graham Donaldson, Tony Brise and # 64 Lola T332 (HU37)
    Name:  Long Beach. Sept. 1975.# 3jpg.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  161.7 KB
    Julian Randles and Graham Donaldson tend to Tony's Lola under the watchful eye of Theodore Team owner, Teddy Yip. On pit lane, Shoreline Drive, Long Beach. CA.
    (Julian would later be a partner on the Theodore team.)

Name:  Hyndman & Brise .Long Beach. 1975.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  97.0 KB
    (Hyndman talking to Tony Brise about life in San Diego.)

Name:  Long Beach. Sept. 1975.# 1jpg.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  101.1 KB
    Pushing Tony in the Lola to the start .L to R; Graham Donaldson, Teddy Yip, Kerry Agipou, K Hyndman & Sid Taylor.
    (Apart from Hyndman it was a very good team !)
    Years later Al Unser signed my only copy I had of this scene and Al said he had been so impressed with Tony here at Long Beach that he felt sure he would go on to greatness.
    Also signed by Don Nichols whose Shadow F 5000 car is in the background.

(Ken Hyndman collection )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 04-25-2016 at 10:00 PM.

This is what makes it so hard to write about Lola (HU 61).
    So who is correct ?

http://www.f5000registry.com/lola.html

has this comment.
    " Make: Lola
    Model: T-332C
    Year: 1976
    Chassis: Lola HU61
    Engine: Chevy 5 Litre

Transmission: Hewland DG 300

Owner: Marc Rauchfuss

Previous Owners: Theodore Racing - Teddy Yip

Racing History: Car ran for the first time at Road America in August 1976 driven by Derek Bell who was substituting for Alan Jones. Jones drove car in one additional race in 1976. Car later appeared at Surfers Paradise in Australia in 1977 where it was crashed during practice. Marc Rauchfuss currently restoring the car to original specifications to return it to historic racing in the Formula 5000 U.S. Revival Races.

( Ken Hyndman )
    Ken, It seems that HU61 did very few races, besides the above, it also did the Rothmans round at Oran Park
    in Alan Jones hands prior to the Surfers round.

The Rauchfuss T332 was put together by Alan McCall in the 80's. It is unclear as to how it became HU61

Geez,
    Sorry folks.

( Ken Hyndman )
    No worries Ken, you certainly have some good stories to tell The Long Beach F5000 race looks like it was a great event to
    be at Tony Brise sure went well there, passed Mario Andretti more than once, not many people did that in F5000 in 1975

re the six T190 tubs in Michigan, I was told that they became 6 T70 Lolas, made in Michigan

World Champion
    Thanks Tony,
    You will not be forgotten.

Ken & Graham
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 04-23-2016 at 03:37 PM.

World Champion
    Graham stayed on in California working for the Dan Gurney AAR team based in Orange County where he gained wonderful experience working with people such as Phil Remington known as the master of all fabricators. Graham said he was such a humble man to work with but also very tough and when you read some of these sites you will see why. He was still working even after turning 90 yrs. old !

http://allamericanracers.com/a-tribu...hil-remington/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...hil-remington/

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 04-26-2016 at 05:37 PM.

World Champion
    Dan Gurney and Teddy Yip were good friends and Teddy raced the Gurney Indy cars for different drivers including the female driver Desire Wilson in 1982 but sadly another driver Gordon Smiley died in a practice session and the same sponsor for both cars withdrew from the event.
    Name:  Dan Gurney and Teddy Yip.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  121.1 KB

Name:  Theodore Indy car.1982.# 1.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  121.6 KB
    (Wilson during Indianapolis practice 1982 in Gurney Eagle for Theodore racing )

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    I got to meet Desire Wilson in 1999 when I was working at a BMW dealership and each year when the new models were introduced some of us would go to a track / parking lot somewhere in Southern California to test drive / hammer and compare the latest BMWs against the competition. I rode with Skip Barber and 4 others in a BMW 325 E in 1986 around the old Riverside course and entering the
    Turn 9 corner I kept thinking the brakes had failed but Skip made it look easy and was chatting throughout !
    Desire Wilson was at the Fontana Track and we did a slalom course in the parking lot. No one else seemed to know who she was but when I started talking about NZ.(She drove in the Pacific Series in 1980 ) Rugby and racing. (Teddy Yip and Theodore) she was very friendly and told me how to use my feet and not drive like an "old lady"!
    ( So even though I got bit off course I decided to enter my Desire Wilson story. )

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 04-27-2016 at 09:02 PM.

World Champion
    Graham Donaldson went to Macau several times and always enjoyed being a guest of Teddy Yip who basically ran the whole place !
    Teddy Yip was one of the main forces behind the Macau Grand Prix back in '70s and 80s, leading the Grand Prix to be one of the world's most famous motor racing events. The Macau Grand Prix parties he hosted for many years at his home also became a central part of the social aspect of the Grand Prix.
    Many current or former Formula One drivers have participated in the event early in their careers and some of them have won the prestigious prize. Famous winners include Riccardo Patrese, Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher, David Coulthard, Ralf Schumacher and Takuma Sato.
    In 1983, it was decided by the organizers that since Formula Pacific was becoming obsolete, the race would be held as a Formula Three event. Initially, they wanted to run a F2 race, but as they were unwilling to make any large circuit modifications, which included cutting down trees, the organizers decided to adopt Formula 3 cars for the feature race and it was sanctioned by FIA as the F3 World Cup title race. At the same time, Yokohama Tire was officially designated as the sole supplier of control tires for the competitors.
    A young Ayrton Senna won the first Macau F3 race driving for Teddy Yip in a Ralt RT3-Toyota. 1983.
    Name:  Teddy and Ayrton Senna.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  109.0 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 04-27-2016 at 10:25 PM.

World Champion
    As we went our different ways Graham would join up with different teams and I will list some of them after California he moved to Michigan where he was involved with ; Doug Shierson and Howdy Holmes plus Tom Gloy, Tom Foster, Norm Hunter and Alan Berg in Formula Atlantic. He also spent time with Formula 2 teams in Mexico with Oscar Hidalgo and Rafael Martinez.
    I remember catching glimpses of him at the IMSA GTP and Indy Cart races when he worked on cars for Geoff Brabham at "Kraco"
    Nissan with Bob Earl and Chip Robinson and Geoff in the GTP ZX Turbo and later with the Hotchkis Race Team with driver Jim Adams.
    Graham went on to work alongside renown engine builder Larry Slutter at the Toyota racing engine department "TRD" where he would be for 20 years before finishing his working days and has now begun a well earned retirement.
    Here is a glimpse of some of the race cars that Graham Donaldson was involved with.
    Name:  Kraco Indy car at Portland. 1984.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  131.7 KB
    (1984 Portland CART race. Graham is on the right checking the rear area of Geoff Brabham's KRACO March 84C in which he would finish second the next day. ... photo Bill Wagenblatt)

Name:  Kraco Indy car at Portland. 1984 # 1.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  86.0 KB
    (Geoff Brabham at speed. Portland. 1984. ..Bill Wagenblatt photo )

Name:  Nissan GTP Turbo NPTI# 1.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  111.1 KB
    1990_Chip Robinson & Geoff Brabham shared this Nissan GTP NPTI for a win at Miami.

Name:  Hotchkis Racing. Porsche 962. 1989.JPG
Views: 1286
Size:  89.5 KB
    (Jim Adams, John Hotchkis at Daytona in the Porsche 962/ 72 Turbo prepared by Graham. 1989 )

This is where Graham worked developing the Toyota engines to being the best in many types of racing.

http://www.trdusa.com/

Well done Graham. You came a long way from being an apprentice in Rotorua.
    You probably did not want to take all this credit, you humble buggar, but you were regarded as one of the best and if I had not put this out there for others to read I don't know who would have.
    Now go relax and share this with your family and grand kids.
    "You did a bloody good job, mate !"
    (Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 04-29-2016 at 08:33 PM.

World Champion
    When I was in Sydney in 1970 one Saturday, I was downtown looking in the shops and walking past me was Graham Baker who I recognized from seeing him at Pukekohe. We started talking and he suggested that I go out to David Mckay's Ferrari dealership to see if they needed a mechanic, but they were not interested in someone from Morrinsville with lawnmower and Land Rover experience !
    Graham also suggested that I stop in and see Wally Wilmott who was starting a performance workshop in Woolloomooloo and Wally was friendly but was busy at the time and soon after I left Sydney to go back to NZ. But I was grateful for Graham Baker's suggestions.

I recently read that he had had some health issues and I wondered if any of you could give an update.

He and his family have certainly been popular in the Houston, Texas area with what they have done with the Houston Motorsports Complex.
    Name:  Graham Baker. 2010.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  52.4 KB
    Texas Gov. Rick Perry (center) recently welcomed the 2010 NASCAR state championship contingent to his office in Austin. From left are Houston Motorsports Park owner Graham Baker, Texas champion Joe Aramendia, Perry, Joe Aramendia's wife Carolyn Aramendia, and Houston General Manager and Promoter John Mandabach. Texas Governor's Office

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-01-2016 at 10:20 PM.

World Champion
    I do not know how it is today but back in the sixties and seventies many NZ mechanics would finish an apprenticeship and head off to be involved in racing in all parts of the world and most would gain valuable knowledge and then return while others would stay away and do very well. One of those would be John Nicholson who grew up in Wanganui and helped run his father's engine rebuilding business before moving to the Wellington area where he started out in racing at the same time as Graham McRae.
    I remember seeing John drive his Lotus 27 around Pukekohe and finish the 1968 NZGP in ninth place and this was only his seventh race overall which included Chris Amon and Jim Clark in their prime !

I have this album photo of the 1968 NZGP grid waiting while Denny Hulme is presented a prize to celebrate him being the 1967 Formula One world champion. The ill fated Laurence Brownlie Brabham is in the foreground and if you look closely you can see John Nicholson's pit area in the background. (Between L.Brownlie and D.Oxton )

Name:  1968 NZGP grid.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  176.0 KB

(Jan. 6. 1968)

(Ken Hyndman ) p.s. Could any others in this photo be identified please.
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-04-2016 at 04:42 PM.

World Champion
    In 1969 John had made his way to England and due to lack of funds he did not race but instead got a job at McLaren's where he used his engine building knowledge to help George Bolthoff build the 1969 Can-Am engines and he also spent some time in the States, based in Detroit. When he came back to England, Bruce McLaren used Nicholson's driving ability to do some of the initial testing of the M8D Can- Am car.
    Bruce then needed someone to build the Cosworth DFV Formula One engines and after some brief training with Cosworth, John had the very important job of being responsible for McLaren's F 1 engine program. This was to lead to John branching out and establishing the best Cosworth DFV engine business.
    Nicholson McLaren Engines (NME) was founded in 1972 by John Nicholson to maintain the Cosworth DFV engines for McLaren Racing.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-04-2016 at 04:47 AM.

World Champion
    July 1973. Silverstone.
    After the British F 1 Grand Prix had finished their was a brief shower and then the track dried out for the last event of the day which was the Formula Atlantic Championship race. I had met up with a group of fellow Kiwis from the "Trafalgar Club" and I thought I would impress the women present with my knowledge of motor racing and even though there had been the big F1 crash started by Jody Scheckter and the big saloon car crash involving the Dave Mathews Capri that day, I told them that racing was getting safer and to come into the stands that were getting empty, for a good view of the start. Also in the field were 3 Kiwis; John Nicholson, David Oxton and Jim Murdoch. Plus cars built by Nicholson;the Lyncar-Nicholson for John and David Oxton and Alan McCall built Tui BHs for Murdoch and Tom Walkinshaw. The field also included future F1 drivers ;Tom Pryce and David Purley (who just two weeks later would bravely try to save the life of Roger Williamson ) plus John Nicholson.
    Anyway we all settled in at the grandstand after the start and as the cars accelerated past us three of the first five cars touched and one cartwheeled past us and pieces were flying everywhere. It was a scary moment for all of us but fortunately no one was hurt. But the girls in our group had had enough and left me to watch the race alone!
    It was an exciting race won by John Nicholson that day from Colin Vandervell, Geoff Friswell, David Purley and David Oxton was 5th.
    So John Nicholson built engines won the Formula Atlantic race and Peter Revson's F1 winning McLaren M 23 also had a Nicholson built Cosworth DFV engine. This was a good day for John.
    Even though the NZ "chicks" deserted me, I enjoyed it also!

Name:  1973 Formula Atlantic field.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  105.6 KB
    A very talented Formula Atlantic field.

Name:  John Nicholson. 1973. F Atlantic.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  181.3 KB

Name:  John Nicholson, # 1.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  96.3 KB

(Hyndman scrapbook pics)

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-04-2016 at 07:30 PM.