Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry Algie

Barry Algie

Barry Algie was killed today loading a car onto a trailer at his home.

Heard earlier tonight that he had died but needed someone to post some info. So sad.

Wasn't having a very good run at the weekend struggling to get the Monaro fired up in pit lane, despite the assistance of several of the dummy grid and pit lane officials giving him a push.

RiP
    Last edited by ERC; 04-06-2016 at 04:15 AM.

This indeed a sad day. What a character in the day. Wont be the same without him. I often saw him walking briskly through the pits with his chararistic style of bent forward and head down in his blue dust coat on a mission. If only that orange Monaro had got it all together. RIP Barry

Very sad to hear today of the loss of Barry. Saw him on Saturday and said hello.
    Deepest sympathy to Barry's family and to all his friends in the Historic Sports Sedan group.

RIP Barry

Bruce Dyer
    Last edited by Spgeti; 04-05-2016 at 07:53 PM.

Absolutely gutted to hear.
    Thoughts are with his family and friends, especially the Historic Sports Sedan family.

I will treasure the laps we ran together in his last ever race in the weekend.
    His legacy is the design and construction of 2 of the most radical racing cars. .
    Farewell my friend since 1973, you got me started on the Historic Sports Sedans.

I'm very sad to hear this. Such a brilliant mind and a very creative engineer.

Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Barry.

Andrew Metford.

I took this photo of Barry at the 2014 NZFMR, the inaugural meeting for the Historic Sports Sedans of today.

Last edited by Andrew Metford; 04-06-2016 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Photo added

I struggled to believe this when I heard. Very sad.RIP Barry, condolences to all those who knew him.

Certainly one of the innovative people involved in NZ motorsport. And yes a one of a kind character - always on the go and with a job to complete. I saw him on Sunday working on his car and now he is no longer with us. R I P Barry.

I didn't know Barry as well as I knew his brother Ian but he was certainly one of a kind. He raced a bike at the first Grand Prix on Pukekohe and had no shortage of bravery. Away from motor racing and cars, I hope someone recorded his story of going up to Asia - I think Indonesia - in search of a Zero. Or perhaps Zeroes.

The way Barry told the story about crossing rivers, battling through jungles etc was extraordinary enough, but what made the whole tale more amazing was the casual way he seemed to regard all of these major obstacles.

Best wishes to the Algie family.

According to the Herald, killed when the car he was loading onto the trailer rolled and pinned him. So sad. Not a racing accident, which is a very small comfort.

Name:  214_0330_005 Barry Algie.JPG
Views: 1379
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  214_0330_056 Monaro.JPG
Views: 1219
Size:  123.7 KB

Last edited by ERC; 04-05-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Yes, very sad indeed, RIP Barry Algie

Great innovator - sad to hear RIP

Name:  78-Monaro-Pukekohe-1984.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  126.0 KB

That is a very poignant picture, Godspeed Barry.

I didn't know then who it was standing by that Alfetta, but I fell in love with that car then and so pleased that Gordon has it out there now.

Name:  184_1216_061 Algie Alfetta.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  138.5 KB

Very sad. My condolences to Ian and Neville and the rest of the Algie family

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    I didn't know then who it was standing by that Alfetta, but I fell in love with that car then and so pleased that Gordon has it out there now.

Name:  184_1216_061 Algie Alfetta.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  138.5 KB

That is Nevil, the youngest brother.

Thanks for that. My sincere apologies. I was told when I posted it before that it was Barry.

Very sad news, Got to know Barry over a period of time, and he was one of kind.
    Very clever fabricator and innovator.
    That bike he raced was one of a kind like him way back then.

Mike, the stories from the plane recovery attempts hopefully will be told one day, amazing stuff.

To Ian and Neville and all the Algie family, condolences,

RIP Barry