Thread: Frank Hamlin RIP

Frank Hamlin RIP

email sent to all mini racing drivers

It is with great regret that I pass to you the news that Frank Hamlin passed away earlier this morning.
    He has been in hospital for the last week. Phil has visited him in hospital and his daughters were with him.
    I received the news from Phil Deane a short while ago and he has asked me to email you all. I have searched my past email addresses and hopefully have reached our senior and past members.
    You might like to check with your friends that knew Frank.

Regards
    Kevin Sweeney

RIP Frank, here is his amazing Mini

a couple of shots of Franks famous Mini at Pukekohe in the late 1960's..

Name:  Mini  Frank Hamlin, Pukekohe late 1960's # 3  CCI16072015 (3) (636x640).jpg
Views: 708
Size:  135.5 KB

Name:  Mini Frank Hamlin Pukekohe late 1960's front view #  3, CCI16072015 (3) (475x500).jpg
Views: 712
Size:  85.3 KB

Sad to hear Frank has passed away. Amazing talent - ran Hamlin and Charles tuning in Seaview - which was like the Downton of New Zealand for Mini people. Amazing driver who won his class at Nurburgring in the early 60's. He raced with Don Moore who was the original man to beat in Mini racing and tuning. He may have worked for Moore? Frank had a huge silver plate he got from Nurburgring.

That Minisprint is still around - but the reg number went on one of the PDL Minis when Robert Stewart bought the sprint from Frank to use the mechanicals in a Group 2 car.

I hear there is a memorial service which perhaps someone could post the time and place here.

From memory Hamlin and Charles were the "go to" firm for Rootes Group bolt on bits too. My Husky van had one of their complete motors.