Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion. August 18-21, 2016

World Champion
    Dale,
    Perhaps we will have to have a chat to Bill and remind him that what happens in New Zealand Stays in New Zealand !

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Dale,
    Perhaps we will have to have a chat to Bill and remind him that what happens in New Zealand Stays in New Zealand !
    Bill's a great guy and luvs the HTA group!! Chad Raynal with the yellow 69 Camaro has been doing a bit of work for him in recent times, Chad(via Bruce Thompson) came down to NZ for the Festival 2011 so there is quite a circle between us, the Aussie's and the USA historic racers.

Unfortunately these days in this much smaller world not all will stay in NZ, I just send two Mustangs back to the USA, a 70 Boss 429 and 67 GT500 Shelby, both got sold for way more than they would have here in NZ and just recently a very nice restored 70 Mach 1 428 SCJ 4 speed car got shipped back and sold also, times are a changing but kiwis just wont step up and pay the real $$$ so more of this will happen.

Looking forward to Monterey this year, 50 years of TA and CanAm, yeehar

Dale M

World Champion
    Dale,
    You are on to something when you see this at R.M. Sotheby's Amelia Island Auction. March 12, 2016.
    Name:  1968 Camaro.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  181.2 KB

I have to admit I got into this a few years ago. I bought a 1973 Mini 850 at a 2001 Papamoa garage sale for $ 200 U.S. got it through a W.O.F. and drove it for a year including teaching my son to shift gears ("hockey stick" style. Shipped back to LA (2003) in a container filled with other Minis (for $ 500 U.S.) and delivered to our home by a friend who just took a plate of Judy's cookies for a payment.
    I drove it for a month, got scared with the RHD over here and sold it for ($ 5000 U.S.) I do not think I could get away with doing that now. ( I will not go into the other car deals where I have lost money !)

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 06-27-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Ken- its only when you sell that you can lose money.

World Champion
    Right John,
    It proves I am/was a wrencher not a dealer !

World Champion
    From Papamoa NZ to Los Olivos. CA. 2003.
    Here is the 1973 Mini 850 RHD on the left saying farewell to my 1962 Austin Mini Cooper before leaving us into the unknown and I have not seen it since.

Name:  Minis in the driveway_0004.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  78.0 KB

(Ken Hyndman photo )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 06-28-2016 at 04:23 PM.

World Champion
    Well folks, the Laguna Seca Rolex Reunion is now less than a month away.
    Here is a 2013 clip of some the Trans-Am cars and drivers that will be at Monterey.
    This is at the Watkins Glen course near New York and I think it is on the original full circuit.
    It has some good sights and sounds.

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    Hey, if any of you out there in TRS land are coming over for this event I plan to be there on Saturday August 20th and it would be great to meet any of you. I can not promise you much but if it works out I will do my best to introduce you to Brian Redman and Derek Bell.
    Just be near the gate to the start / finish line at Noon on Saturday. OK ?
    Right about where this Greenwood Corvette is coming in.
    Name:  DSCN7817.JPG
Views: 813
Size:  159.1 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photo )

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    Well folks it is almost time for Monterey.
    This is a very good description from "Vintage Motorsports" magazine.

" Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion Opens in Two Weeks

Monterey, CA -- Just 14 days remain until the green flag waves the start of the seventh edition of this event at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. From prewar to the 1980s, each of the 550 authentic race cars will bring specific history to the track Aug 18-21.

Among the numerous highlights of this year's event is the golden anniversary of the Canadian-American Challenge Cup, marked by a field of Lolas, Shadows, McLarens, Porsches and others in two separate grids of historic cars that competed in the original series. The first group includes USRRC and Can-Am cars that raced between 1963 and 1968, with the big bore Can-Am group featuring racers from 1968-1974.

Many of the cars can trace their roots back to then-called Laguna Seca Raceway. One car in particular is returning to where it took the checkered flag to win the second annual Can-Am race.

The McLaren M6A-1 was driven to victory by its namesake, Bruce McLaren, in the 1967 Monterey Grand Prix. McLaren notched an impressive victory over Jim Hall's Chapparal 2G and George Follmer's Lola T70, recording a fast lap average speed of 105 mph over the original nine-turn, 1.9-mile racing circuit.

After the 1967 season, the car was sold to Penske Racing and prepped for Mark Donohue, who then drove it to victory at the United States Road Racing Championship (USRRC) race at Laguna Seca on his way to capturing the 1968 championship. This historic McLaren is now driven by Griot's Garage founder Richard Griot.

Another example is the 1971 Group 44 Triumph TR6 that competed in the D-Production class of the Sports Car Club of America National Championships. Campaigned by Bob Tullius, the TR6 won in 1975 with John McComb behind the wheel and repeated the feat in 1976 with actor and racer Paul Newman, who had purchased the car from Tullius. The Triumph TR6 is now campaigned by Bill Warner, founder of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance.

The Trans-Am series lost factory participation for the 1975 season and the fields began to diminish, so the series allowed A-, B- and C-Production cars into the mix. An engine change from carburetors to fuel injection moved the Group 44 Triumph TR6 from D- Production to C-Production and, therefore, eligible to compete in Trans-Am. It went head-to-head with powerhouse teams running Chevrolet Corvettes and Camaros, Porsches, Ford Mustangs, Jaguars, and a Datsun 260Z. McComb was more than competitive in the TR6 and even finished third overall in the season finale at what is now known as Brainerd (MN) International Raceway.

Fifty years of Trans-Am racing will also be part of the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion when 36 of the cars will pound the ground once more."

I am finding it will be a difficult time to get away for that weekend but I hope to at least be there for Saturday.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 08-05-2016 at 05:19 AM.

World Champion
    One of the entrants I look forward to watching at Laguna Seca, is Chris MacAllister who has the original McLaren M8F as driven by Denis Hulme in 1971. It is always beautifully prepared and as you can see when Chris has a similar helmet to Denis on, it is not hard to drift back to the original Can Am racing days.
    I can't wait to see them in action.
    Name:  Chris MacAllister.  1971 McLaren M8 F.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  136.2 KB

(Ken Hyndman ) p.s. Will any of you be there also ?

I'll be there Ken, I'll meet you by the pit gate on Saturday.
    My buddy is running his #64 yellow '69 Camaro in Historic Trans Am, he also prepares a few of the factory cars (Javelin, Penske Camaro, Shelby Mustangs the Posy Challenger etc.

Bruce.

World Champion
    Thanks Bruce,
    I look forward to meeting you.

Ken

One of the entrants I look forward to watching at Laguna Seca, is Chris MacAllister who has the original McLaren M8F as driven by Denis Hulme in 1971. It is always beautifully prepared and as you can see when Chris has a similar helmet to Denis on, it is not hard to drift back to the original Can Am racing days.
    I can't wait to see them in action.
    Name:  Chris MacAllister.  1971 McLaren M8 F.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  136.2 KB

(Ken Hyndman ) p.s. Will any of you be there also ?

This McLaren was restored by Duncan Fox in Auckland, I shipped it back in August 2003 for the restoration!! quite a significant car!!

Dale M

World Champion
    Dale,
    Thanks for that information as I did not know that it was Duncan who had done that, although he did not get it as exactly as Denny (The Bear ) had it looking when he raced at Laguna Seca in 1971 !
    (Note the extra rubber at the left front. "Move over, Denny is coming through" !).

Name:  Denny at work. Laguna Seca Can Am. 1971.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  152.8 KB

Dale, You will be at Laguna. Correct ?

(Ken Hyndman )

Dale,
    Thanks for that information as I did not know that it was Duncan who had done that, although he did not get it as exactly as Denny (The Bear ) had it looking when he raced at Laguna Seca in 1971 !
    (Note the extra rubber at the left front. "Move over, Denny is coming through" !).

Name:  Denny at work. Laguna Seca Can Am. 1971.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  152.8 KB

Dale, You will be at Laguna. Correct ?

(Ken Hyndman )
    Get into SFO Thursday morning and drive straight to Monterey Ken.

When I shipped it back in 03.

Duncan is at Monterey helping Roger Williams with the red 51 CanAm car

Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images   

World Champion
    Dale,
    You mention Roger's car as being a red # 51.
    Is it the same McLaren 1970 M8E # 51 as I photographed at Infineon Raceway in June 2011 ?
    Name:  Roger Williams # 1.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  184.0 KB

Name:  Roger Williams # 2.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  179.5 KB

(Ken Hyndman photos )

Monterey - Laguna Seca the 2016 the 43 rd !! running of the Historics..

Ken H, I see you mentioned being at Laguna Seca on the 20th August, I gather there has been a smaller meeting 13th 14th August, which has featured some interesting stuff, Can you take pictures of Old Yella 11 and post them.. Mike Ryan tells me Ernie will be there, Mike has been at the recent weekend and posted these

.. Allard with a Buick Nailhead, like Old Yella..

Name:  Monterey Historics 2016 #2, Allard K2 with Buick engine Mike Ryan pic 15082016.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  82.1 KB

Name:  Monterey Historics 2016 #3, Allard K2 the  Buick engine Mike Ryan pic 15082016.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  172.1 KB

and from 1982 .. these ..

Name:  Monterey Historics Old Yella 11, Laguna Seca Aug 1982 03-03-2015 09;54;15AM.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  Monterey Historics Old Yella 11, Laguna Seca Aug 1982 03-03-2015 09;54;15AM.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  63.6 KB

my 34 year old photo's not so good !! oops one was supposed to be the engine,maybe later !!

World Champion
    Roger,
    I will try to get those pics for you.

Ken H

World Champion
    Another of the Chris MacAllister collection that I hope is at Monterey, is the 1967 Lotus 49 # R2 that was driven by Jim Clark and prepared by NZ mechanic, Alan McCall at that time. It has been beautifully restored as told in this interesting article.

http://trackthoughts.com/2011/12/13/...otus-49-cn-r2/

Name:  1967 Lotus 49  R2.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  116.6 KB

(Ken Hyndman photo 2011)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 08-16-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Dale,
    You mention Roger's car as being a red # 51.
    Is it the same McLaren 1970 M8E # 51 as I photographed at Infineon Raceway in June 2011 ?
    Name:  Roger Williams # 1.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  184.0 KB

Name:  Roger Williams # 2.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  179.5 KB

(Ken Hyndman photos )
    Yes same car Ken, he had to repaint it to how it once raced period to be-able to qualify for entry into RA and Monterey.

Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images